The Soaps Thread

Steveo2007

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn't realise that they'd brought back so many old characters in Neighbours. Plain Jane Superbrain, Melanie who was married to Joe Mangel, Dr Clive Gibbons, Gemma Ramsay, Glen Donnelly, Amy who went out with Lance. Much like wrestling they've been relying on nostalgia too much. It's telling that the main picture on most of the news stories about Neighbours being cancelled is of Kylie and Jason who were on the show a third of a century ago.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

I didn't realise that they'd brought back so many old characters in Neighbours. Plain Jane Superbrain, Melanie who was married to Joe Mangel, Dr Clive Gibbons, Gemma Ramsay, Glen Donnelly, Amy who went out with Lance. Much like wrestling they've been relying on nostalgia too much. It's telling that the main picture on most of the news stories about Neighbours being cancelled is of Kylie and Jason who were on the show a third of a century ago.

Nah they have done a good job of building new talent not just relying on the nostalgia pop. It's more AEW than WWE.

They only one that might as well not be there is Clive Gibbo Gibbons. They have done naff all with him.

That said Toadie has been treading water for years. He peaked when he nearly died when a gust of wind threw him from a bouncy castle.

I realise I'm practically the only one still watching but the amount of times I have to sit through those adverts on the crappy 5 app should be enough to justify it's existence alone.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:52 PM, Keith Houchen said:

And this made me chuckle a lot, despite not knowing who the bloke bottom right is. 

Marvellous fayre, that picture. The man in question is Darcy. Came in as some relation of Susan I think, pretty bland lower midcard face type of guy. Soon got switched to top heel, was messing about with Dee and Tess, got into some major gambling debt, think he ended up in prison, or a coma (or both). Blackmailed Izzy into not telling Karl he was the father of her baby to try and make it up to Susan.

Handsome bastard and I still quite fancy him, really

1 hour ago, LCJ said:

#bringbackdreamteam

I always saw Eastenders and Coronation St as the majors, with things like Dream Team and Family Affairs as indies/territories. Always got a pop when you’d see an indie star get a run in the majors, like Caspar Rose being Stacey Slaters brother. Same when an established star appeared in the indies, Eddie Royle and Ferdy from This life being Harchester chairman. 

Pete Callan was the Family Affairs franchise. Probably could’ve had a run in the majors but knew he wouldn’t get the push he had on Channel 5. 
EDIT - Actually, didn’t  he run the pub in Hollyoaks? His guest spot in Emmerdale was more a Royal Rumble deal than any long term booking. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, hallicks said:

Handsome bastard and I still quite fancy him, really

My Wife is a keeper. She got me this autograph of soggy Dr Darcy for Christmas a few years back off ebay. She really gets me.

FB_IMG_1644257039222.jpg

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Have I made this up, or did a female, diabetic Neighbours character nearly die by drinking neat orange squash for a dare?

I can't find anything to back this up and might be misremembering this but I think you are right. It was Danni Stark who had diabetes and I have vague memories of the orange incident. The Ramsey Street locals also saw her injecting insulin and naturally assumed she was a smack head despite the strongest drug to appear on neighbours being that brown bag of coffee at that point.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Oh, man. I forgot all about Dee and that ridiculous storyline with her coming back from the dead after 17 years to confront the Fake Dee who was going round pretending to be her.

Yeah that was really hard work that. I loved Dee back in the day and they completely blew the comeback. 

Best return ever has to be the ghost of Jim Robinson appearing to Paul in a Christmas bauble.