Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

1 hour ago, Jazzy G said:

It would have been leaked rather than revealed. It will be interesting to see how they explain it though, and given that they're doing a Secret Wars movie at some point they'll be introducing the Beyonder. I wonder whether they'd be brave enough to do it the same way they did in the comics and just do the changes before explaining what happened in Secret Wars. I presume it'll be based on the original, as opposed to the huge crossover, although that'd be one way to get the Multiverse wrapped up. 

That’s interesting as I always assumed it would be based on the 2015 series, with all the small Battleworlds. So there would be no Beyonder, but Doom as the main villain and Mr Fantastic playing a key role. Then after that Avengers film, the MCU would get a soft reboot with new actors in legacy roles and Miles Morales and the X-Men making their debut from other universes. It never occurred to me that they may be adapting the original Secret Wars. Though that would be one way to give us black suit Spider-Man.

On 7/31/2024 at 8:54 AM, Lorne Malvo said:

I expected to dislike the Deadpool character based on the first two movies but I also thought their presentation of Wolverine was incredibly lazy (he can say 'fuck' in this film, did you notice?) and Hugh Jackman was in full-on cashing a cheque mode.

Surprised you think that about Hugh. Everything I've seen from backstage promos to interviews, he's had the time of his life working with Ryan on this. I mean sure Wolverine was mostly grumpy and angry but that was by design, no? He was very much the opposite of Deadpool. I'm not sure what else Jackman could've done with the portrayal of that Wolverine when that was a clear writing decision. 

6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

How's the new Batman show on Amazon? I've seen a few clips and it looks to have replicated the 90's classic cartoon really well, I think it's all set just before that show started, too.

Really good, am not at work today so between jobs and bits and pieces I've watched the entire season of ten episodes. A lot of fun, some obvious influences from the classic series but also a little bit of a Beware the Batman feel too.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Maybe I've missed it in another thread, or even in this one, but one appearance in Deadpool and Wolverine as a proper credited henchman (not a cameo or an extra) that I did the DiCaprio Once Upon a Time in Hollywood point for was...

Spoiler

Bulk of the UK Pitbulls working the gate control for the villain's lair.

Cast list:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6263850/fullcredits/cast

Edited by johnnyboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Sad git that I am I’ve downloaded Marvel Unlimited before I go on holiday. Any Marvel comic series anyone can recommend? I’ve not read comics in about 25 years.

Will probably try Civil War other than that anything goes.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Sad git that I am I’ve downloaded Marvel Unlimited before I go on holiday. Any Marvel comic series anyone can recommend? I’ve not read comics in about 25 years.

The Scarlet Spider saga. Don't know its official name but it's probably my favourite story out of all the comics.

For anyone not aware, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is getting another little run in cinemas next month to coincide with the Batman 85th Anniversary. 

The other movies seem to be getting showings later in the month, although I’ve not seen any listings for Batman 89 or Batman Returns at my local cinema yet

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The Scarlet Spider saga. Don't know its official name but it's probably my favourite story out of all the comics.

I dunno that's incredibly hit and miss if he's reading everything. It's the Clone Saga so you know.

Kraven's Last Hunt would be my no 1 recommendation for Spidey. It's the only Spidey I've read that rivals DC.

Daredevil: Born Again by Frank Miller is fantastic. In fact any Daredevil by Frank Miller. It's almost proto Dark Knight Returns feeling.

Civil War is wonderful and if you can put the time in the 100+ issue complete version with all the tie ins was by and large very good. There's probably a complete reading order for it on there. 

Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe and Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe are great little minis.

45 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Depends what characters you like. 

Spider-Man

The current Ultimate Spider-Man series, Superior Spider-Man (2013), the Dan Slott run (started in Amazing Spider-Man #546 and went on for years across various volumes). Some people hate Slott, but I loved his Spidey stuff. The Clone Saga that Bacon mentioned is another controversial story, but it’s some of the first Spider-Man stuff I ever read and I think it’s great. 

Fantastic Four

The 2018 Dan Slott run (yes, him again) and the current one (2022) are very enjoyable. 

X-Men

If your holiday is around 6 months, you could read the entire Dawn Of X saga. Started in 2019 by Johnathan Hickman, it’s only recently come to an end. There are loads of series in it, but the main ones of X-Men, Wolverine, maybe New Mutants and Marauders should cover the bases. Be sure to start with Powers Of X and House Of X first.

Venom

Donny Cates is possibly my favourite modern writer and his 2018 run is a blast. 

Thor

Donny Cates again, the 2020 series. The 2018 Jason Aaron is also very good, but does have a fair few tie-ins with the War Of The Realms event.

Hulk

Immortal Hulk. Essential.

Daredevil

I like most Daredevil runs, but special mention to the Kevin Smith one from 1998 and the 2011 Mark Waid series.

Avengers 

The Hickman stuff that leads in to Secret Wars can be a little overwhelming, but both his Avengers (2012) and New Avengers (2013) series are pretty cool.

I’m a big fan of The Ultimates from 2015. Cosmic sci-fi goodness with Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Blue Marvel.

Tom King’s Vision from 2015.

If you want some big crossover events to read, I’d recommend War Of The Realms, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, Avengers Vs X-Men (far too many tie-ins, just do the main series), Secret Wars, Absolute Carnage, King In Black and Dark Reign. 

Check this site for reading orders for the big crossovers. https://comicbookreadingorders.com/

Edited by Dr. Alan Grant
Snikt thwip bamf

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

For anyone not aware, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is getting another little run in cinemas next month to coincide with the Batman 85th Anniversary. 

The other movies seem to be getting showings later in the month, although I’ve not seen any listings for Batman 89 or Batman Returns at my local cinema yet

My Cineworld are doing that season (I booked to see Forever as well, fuck the haters, I like that one). The omission of the Burton ones is weird and my only reasoning as to why is both Batman and Batman Returns have had various screenings there in the last couple of years so probably saw it as too soon.

I think this is the first time MOTP has had a cinema release in the UK?

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The only thing anybody needs to know is that The Lego Batman Movie is getting some screenings.

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My Cineworld are doing that season (I booked to see Forever as well, fuck the haters, I like that one). The omission of the Burton ones is weird and my only reasoning as to why is both Batman and Batman Returns have had various screenings there in the last couple of years so probably saw it as too soon.

I think this is the first time MOTP has had a cinema release in the UK?

It had a few screenings during the pandemic round my way as I remember umming & ahhing about whether to go or not. Decided against it in the end so this will be my first time seeing it on the big screen.

@Devon Malcolm is right though, important to know that LEGO Batman is getting shown too. An excellent film and take on the characters