The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'd agree - Sunn O))) are a lot like Merzbow (the artist, not the poster) to me in that you might need to listen to them in collaboration with a more palatable artist to really get to grips with what it is they do.

"Altar", the album they did with Boris, is an absolute masterpiece, and explores dimensions of their work well outside what either act have done on their own. 

Yeah. My introduction to them was Black One which is essentially their take on a Black Metal album. Provided you don’t mind BM style vocals that’s quite good as you get lads like Xasthur and Attila from Mayhem on there. I’m personally a big fan of them; I find them oddly relaxing but I can fully appreciate why people think they’re a load of tosh. Hands down the most frightening gig I’ve ever been to was seeing them in Leeds in 2006. My body has never vibrated like that before or since.

• Paid Members

I saw them at ATP in 2007, with Oren Ambarchi doing some kind of electronic stuff, and Atilla Csihar on vocals while dressed as some kind of tree demon. They were back-to-back with Earth and Boris (though I tapped out halfway through Earth to watch Black Mountain, in one of the most difficult clashing sets dilemmas I've ever encountered), so it was insanely intense.

One of the most incredible gigs I've ever been to, though difficult to say whether I actually enjoyed it or not.

Also, the set ended because one of the other members of the band (can't remember if it was Greg Anderson or one of the guests), seemingly out of nowhere, walked over to Stephen O'Malley and punched him square in the face.

Edited by BomberPat

Slam Dunk have announced the last few bands today and are saying this is the final announcement but there may be one or two surprises left.

They've said the two heavy stages will be staggered so there's no clashes but I think the gloves will be off for the other stages. Aslong as I get to see Mad Caddies, NFG and NOFX I'll be happy.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, food

Disappointing but I'm never surprised when a British occult-ish noise act is outed as racist and sympathetic towards nazis, I've found myself vetting almost all industrial artists before listening to them these past few years. Luckily in doing so I've weeded out enough talentless shitstains and found the likes of Puce Mary and Pharmakon who are lightyears ahead of most white dudes in the scene.

Also, it's now my goal in life to make a noise record with Stewart Lee.

Edited by Merzbow

Doomlines was announced yesterday. Same weekend as Tramlines in Sheffield but just the Sunday and taking over the Hallam University student union building. Minor plug because my band is playing it but apart from us there's some mega bands on the lineup if you like your doom and sludge.

No photo description available.

Edited by cobra_gordo