DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

I think that Fulci was losing his grip a little by that point - he'd always had the occasional really capable actor in his earlier zombie movies (McCullough and Johnson in Zombie Flesh Eaters, David Warbeck in The Beyond, and Christopher George in City of the Living Dead), but he was operating without that for House by the Cemetery, and it shows. The acting is dogshit, and that calls attention to failings that competent leads had covered up in the past.

Side note - According to Harvey Fenton, David Warbeck always used to claim that he was on a retainer to be a James Bond understudy: basically, if Roger Moore played hardball, or quit, they would just plug Warbeck in. Woulda worked.

• Moderators

Just watched The Game on tv tonight. I really enjoyed it, though it should really have ended SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

fading out when he hit the crash mat

, everything that came after that was pointless. Actually, worse than that, it was a detriment to the overall film.

• Paid Members

Watched Glory Daze last night. I bought it for about three quid when it came up in this thread before. Took me a while to get into it but it was alright. Wouldn't recommend anyone go out and spend money on it but if it's ever on, it's worth a watch. Had a few familiar names in cameos like Brendan Fraser and Leah Rimini and I'm sure Matt Damon popped up too. The story is a bit weak and didn't really go anywhere but it passes quite quickly and some of the dialogue is OK. I like the symbolism of the dart in the clock stopping the second hand moving when they decide they don't want to move on with life and then it being pulled out when they are ready to move along.

And Bloodsport is definitely the best Van Damme film.

• Paid Members

Universal Soldier is by far the best Van Damme film, loved that when I was young.

Face/Off is awesome, I'm a Nic Cage junkie anyway but that movie ticks all the boxes for an OTT action movie for me, you think it will end with the shoot out in the graveyard then suddenly there's a massive speed boat chase, awesome. The very end's a bit weird and awkward though

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

(when John Travolta adopts Cage's kid - WTF).

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Always preferred Segal to Van Damme myself, never really drawn to JCVD's films, though the constant ads for Double Impact on old Nitro's iv'e been watching have made me curious. Speaking of Segal watched on Deadly Ground the other night, some good scenes and a surprisingly good support cast (Caine, John C. McGinley, the reacharound general guy from full metal jacket, Billy Bob Thornton) but it was just awful.

• Paid Members
I've never heard of Surviving the Game, but on the strength of that alone it's now a film I must see.

Does it have any weapons as cool as the crossbow gun though?

I don't remember specific weoponary as I was about 15 when I watched it but it's got the motherfucking OG Ice T pulling out some Macgyver-esque tricks to fight a group of rich huntsmen.

Just peeped IMDB. It was direct by Ernest Dickerson who did 'Juice' & later on several episodes of 'The Shield'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111323/

& Gary Busey's in it too! Might have to watch this again myself :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Always preferred Segal to Van Damme myself

Love a bit of early Seagal, Out for Justice, Marked for Death and Under Siege are all great early 90s action movies, like so many people he's become a bloated parody of himself in recent years but if you can look past that those 3 are really enjoyable films.

• Moderators

Marked for Death is fantastic, though Under Seige is still my favourite Segal film (edges it by having Busey in the supporting cast, so that bodes well for Surviving the Game's chances of impressing).

I seem to remember Hard to Kill being decent as well, but I remember nothing about it... how is it?

• Paid Members
Marked for Death is fantastic, though Under Seige is still my favourite Segal film (edges it by having Busey in the supporting cast, so that bodes well for Surviving the Game's chances of impressing).

I seem to remember Hard to Kill being decent as well, but I remember nothing about it... how is it?

Hard to kill's good too, all the early ones are, it's the one where Steve's in a coma for like 7 years and wakes up, fucks Kelly LeBrock and kicks the ass of a corrupt senator played by the awesome William Sadler (Bad guy from Die Hard 2 &The Grim Reaper from Bill & Ted) It's a fun movie.

*edit*

Best thing about Under Siege is it has my first crush Erika Eleniak (& her tits) in it.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs