DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I absolutely loved "I Love You Man" and Paul Rudd, but Jason Segel was the real star.

Totally agree. I've literally just watched it for the first time. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

On the Steve Carell front, Crazy Stupid Love is surprisingly good. His best film since The 40 Year Old Virgin anyway.

• Moderators
He's good, isn't he? Paul Rudd, that is. But as I've said before, he really needs to take more chances with his film roles. He's good enough, but he always seems to take safe roles.

He was also, as far as I'm concerned, a really great addition to the Friends cast. He really revitalised it and added an extra dimension to it in its latter stages. All the others they added to the cast for a few shows were terrible, aside from Tom Selleck. But he was excellent.

I'll also forgive Aisha Tyler because she's real hot, but her character was utterly pointless.

I tried to watch bridesmaids last night.. It just wasn't very funny. I turned it off an hour in (though probably would have seen it through if it wasn't so stupidly long)

I'd been meaning to watch Eden Lake for quite a while, and the discussion a few pages back promted me to finally check it out. I agree that it is a film with something to say, but it's such a ham-fisted and cliche effort. It's effective in its brutality and not that much else, really.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The story is too contrived and loaded with stupid moments. It really does become self-parody. For example, the three times the lady thinks she's safe only to be returned to danger, and even little things like the shred of her dress caught on the branch. It's not particularly tense or scary. And the evil chavs are slightly more of a lazy and laughable caricature than they are an exaggeration to make a point.

What it does manage to do, though, is make you feel awful by the end of it, and I don't mean that as a sarcy criticism.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Vice

• Paid Members
Recently as two days ago I got to watch Justice League Doom. To be honest, I really like the DC animated films but this was probably the most underwhelming for me.

The story was great (and I need to find the comic) but some of the things were just... not that good. The Green Lantern stuff was great with Nathan Fillon, as was Superman's falling scene and Batman's portrayal is great with Kevin Conroy. But Cyborg was so poorly written and dialouge was cheesy as hell. The others were pretty good but the finish was so blah. Well worth a look if you like DC, but I would suggest watching one of the other films first.

Watched this, I love these DC animated movies that are based on existing comic stories and I won't dwell on the fact that they made a few minor changes from the source material even though it meant omitting a couple of my favourite characters. Kevin Conroy's been the voice of Batman for 20 years and he's prefect. I wasn't sure about the art, it seemed ok, nothing spectacular for the most part but Superman had these big anime looking eyes that didn't suit him at all. Having said that though the art was appalling in the original comic but the story was fine.

I don't want to give too much away about the story but Batman managed to keep his dignity despite everything which was important and all the central characters acted like themselves. Never much cared for Cyborg but he was fine in this.

I feel like these cartoons are made more for comic fans than the live action movies and because they don't have to reach as wide an audience they can include more fantastical elements and more closely resemble the experience or reading a comic than the live action movies do... Or maybe that's just because they're drawn.

I can't get enough of these & I hope they keep making them. Killing joke would be good.

Watched Clash Of The Titans last night, which was pretty boring but I was mad into Classical Studies in school so there was enough to make me not turn it off. Some observations:

- Sam Worthington is a very handsome man but a bit shit at the ol' acting game isn't he?

- His Aussie accent and buzz cut were hilariously out of place.

- Nicholas Hoult was unrecognisable.

- Liam Cunningham is just awesome and deserved a better send-off than, 'Wait, was that Liam Cunningham?'

- Gemma Arterton is stupidly beautiful.

- That Djinn guy was pretty cool. Kinda funny that he was Arabic and got to be a suicide bomber.

- Mads Mikkelsen is fucking cool, has tremendous presence, deserves better roles and really elevated a rote character to a level that nobody else in the film seemed to be able to do.

- Apparently Tamar Hassan and Agyness Deyn were in this, as Gods no less, but seeing as only Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes got dialogue, I didn't notice them.

- In that vein, why do you hire Danny Huston and give him ONE LINE?

- Fiennes was in full Voldemort mode, looked ridiculous and generally acted like a twat throughout.

- Neeson didn't fare much better. Also, based on his face turn at the end and the fact that he's face in peril in the sequel, are we just supposed to forget that his character is a rapist?

- Couldn't handle Pete Postelwaithe as Exposition Dad Who's Death Is Coming In 3, 2...

- Scorpion stuff was kind of fun I guess.

- Kraken looked decent.

- Erm....

- That's all I guess. Pretty boring fare, two stars at best. Why is there a sequel? It has Rosamund Pike in it, which is a plus.

Apparently, before it got cut, cut and cut again, Huston had a much bigger part and even the gods who said nothing had bigger parts. There's probably an acceptable director's cut out there. Also, Sam is really good when given the right material; he's great in Avatar, Macbeth and Last Night. He's got a real 'everyman' charm to him.

I watched Tucker & Dale vs Evil the other day, and really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure I would, as I thought it might be a bit too Scary Movie. But it was great. That fat fella's wonderful in it. I forget his name, but it's the same kind of name WWE gives to new wrestlers, Tyler Ripkin or something.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Recently gone back through all four Alien films. The first two are absolutely great, but the third and fourth pale in comparison. The third has way too much British people swearing. In seriousness, the cult vibe going on through it is poorly executed, and don't even get me started on the CGI. I heard that David Fincher was constantly getting messed around by the studio, but surely they could've come up with something better than this?

I actually enjoyed the fourth one. It follows in 3's footsteps in terms of shitting over the quality of the first two, but as a stand alone movie I think it works well. It's very 90's-ised but there's some good twists and turns and some cool sequences through it. You see the Aliens in a different light through some of it too, putting a new spin on the species for the first time since they first appeared.

I also watched Walking Tall again recently. I'm a sucker for The Rock and this film, despite being cliche to an insane degree, is so easily watchable it hurts. Get a six pack of Quavers, some Ice cold Coca Cola, sit back, relax.

Also, I watched Spy Hard yesterday. One of my favourites and some effortlessly clever, and more importantly funny, slapstick comedy.

• Paid Members
I watched Tucker & Dale vs Evil the other day, and really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure I would, as I thought it might be a bit too Scary Movie. But it was great. That fat fella's wonderful in it. I forget his name, but it's the same kind of name WWE gives to new wrestlers, Tyler Ripkin or something.

The fat lad is absolutely blinding in this film, really made me root for him.