DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Watched Hard Candy last night. Thought it was okay, but nothing that great and nowhere near as artistically astounding as the director seemed to think it would be. Ellen Page just okay again. Still waiting to actually love one of her performances, starting to think it will never come.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

If anything though, I suppose when Woy is found hanging from his house, we'll know how it all went down.

I thought Hard Candy was exceptional considering it only really had two actors. I was in awe of how it stayed interesting the whole time. The biggest letdown for me was herself. If she looked anything like she did in Inception or Super or that time she was on Jonathan Ross, it would've been great and added layers to the film. But instead, she has that awful haircut that makes you think she would only appeal to paedophiles.

• Paid Members

The previous Eden Lake chat inspired me to give it a watch. I really liked it. What an intense and hard-hitting film although by the end I was beginning to chuckle a bit at how awful this woman's luck was. I think it'll have to be a while till I give it another watch, but I definitely will sometime.

• Paid Members

Watched Bridesmaids after someone bought the wife the blu-ray for her birthday. It wasn't actually the film I was expecting. There wasn't as much slapstick as I thought and until 15 mins or so left, the Kristen Wiig character was on a pretty interesting journey. The last 15 is typical chick flick shite though. Blah, blah, happy ending sort of stuff. Shame really, some of it was decent.

• Paid Members
What did you expect, though, Rick? It ends with her hanging herself?

I expected it to end how it did. Just pointing out that quite a lot of the film is better than I thought but the ending is then pretty typical.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm heartened that a woman shitting in a sink can get a best supporting actress nomination.

Watched The Help last night - it's a pretty worthy film, but it's like a study in contrasts. Viola Davies in particular is absolutely towering, and I'm surprised in particular that with all the boxes she ticked, Meryl Streep's Thatcher impersonation took her out for best actress. But the film did not deserve that performance - Octavia Spencer was very good, but it was a showy role, and it seemed like Alison Janney, Sissy Spacek, and Mary Swoonburgen were brought in and told "do that thing you do really well". As for the juvenile women, Jessica Chastain walked away with it, and it seemed like Emma Stone was in a tryout for "lead in a serious movie" status - I think she needs some more time to work on that, as she didn't do the job for me.

Edited by Rosegarden Funeral

Watched Bridesmaids after someone bought the wife the blu-ray for her birthday. It wasn't actually the film I was expecting. There wasn't as much slapstick as I thought and until 15 mins or so left, the Kristen Wiig character was on a pretty interesting journey. The last 15 is typical chick flick shite though. Blah, blah, happy ending sort of stuff. Shame really, some of it was decent.

Would you really classify the ending as specifically "chick flick shite"? Seems pretty standard for mainstream comedies. It's no more saccharine than the ending of, say, The 40 Year Old Virgin or Wedding Crashers.

Out of interest, what were you expecting from it? I was always looking forward to it, but I wonder if people in general were thinking it was going to be a standard Jennifer Aniston/Kate Hudson/Katherine Heigl kind of thing. I expect a lot of men watched it pleasantly surprised and a lot of women were a bit disappointed. But I don't know anyone of either gender, let alone anyone who has seen the film, so I'm just hypothesising.

But I don't know anyone of either gender

:(

Hang on, didn't you say you had a girlfriend? What gender is she?

• Paid Members
Would you really classify the ending as specifically "chick flick shite"? Seems pretty standard for mainstream comedies. It's no more saccharine than the ending of, say, The 40 Year Old Virgin or Wedding Crashers.

"rom-com shite then if you're going to be picky, which isn't like you!

Out of interest, what were you expecting from it? I was always looking forward to it, but I wonder if people in general were thinking it was going to be a standard Jennifer Aniston/Kate Hudson/Katherine Heigl kind of thing. I expect a lot of men watched it pleasantly surprised and a lot of women were a bit disappointed. But I don't know anyone of either gender, let alone anyone who has seen the film, so I'm just hypothesising.

From the trailers I saw, I thought it was going to be a "gross-out" comedy for girls. I thought it was going to be based around the trip to Vegas and full of slap stick, slappers and female bonding. Not sure what the wife was expecting from it, dunno if she'd even seen the trailers. I'm not slagging it off, it was miles better than I thought it would be.