DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Dead End

I was just expecting this to be your usual slasher horror, but it was nothing like I expected. Really funny in places with some great dialogue, some pretty good performances for what it is, and Ray Wise channelling Leland Palmer / Bob very nicely in his best role since Twin Peaks. Really enjoyed it, surprised they didn't do any sequels for it, I think there might have been scope for at least one.

Terrible ending, though, having said that - just not bad enough to spoil all the excellence that went before. The bit with the pram is great.

7/10

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members
Dead End

I was just expecting this to be your usual slasher horror, but it was nothing like I expected. Really funny in places with some great dialogue, some pretty good performances for what it is, and Ray Wise channelling Leland Palmer / Bob very nicely in his best role since Twin Peaks. Really enjoyed it, surprised they didn't do any sequels for it, I think there might have been scope for at least one.

Terrible ending, though, having said that - just not bad enough to spoil all the excellence that went before. The bit with the pram is great.

7/10

I enjoyed this one, and would have enjoyed the end, had I not seen a crappier film just before it with exactly the same finish.

• Paid Members
Dead End

7/10

I enjoyed this one, and would have enjoyed the end, had I not seen a crappier film just before it with exactly the same finish.

Reeker?

• Paid Members
Dead End

7/10

Reeker?

Hmmmm, It's a bit hazy, but you may well be right.

• Paid Members
Dead End

7/10

Reeker?

The one where a guy tries to jump through a window wrapped in a quilt and he just bounces off it?

• Paid Members
Dead End

7/10

Reeker?

The one where a guy tries to jump through a window wrapped in a quilt and he just bounces off it?

Just IMDB'd it and it was indeed Reeker!

Just watched The Woman in Black, because I was stupid enough to let the fucking wife choose tonight.

Crap. Jumpy-for-the-sake-of-it, dated, paint-by-numbers crap, even though Harry Potter's alright in it. Don't waste your time with it.

• Paid Members
Just watched The Woman in Black, because I was stupid enough to let the fucking wife choose tonight.

Crap. Jumpy-for-the-sake-of-it, dated, paint-by-numbers crap, even though Harry Potter's alright in it. Don't waste your time with it.

Watch the BBC original, NEWM. It's great:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-d8hW6Tvo...feature=related

• Paid Members
A little back story before I get to the film I just finished.

For years now every once in a while I would have a flashback to film I watched as a child about killer kids but not only could I not remember the name of the film but I also couldn't remember anything other then the closing shot and a little of the beginning (the god awful Giant Spider Invasion was another long forgotton film that drove me nuts for years) anyway recently I finally cracked after it popped into my head again in work and did a google for films about killer kids and not only did I finally find the name of the film but I also found it on Netflix SCORE.

Anyway the film in question is.......

bloody_birthday.jpg

Summed up three children are born at the same time during an eclipse and after fast forwarding 10 years the three of them are about to celebrate their birthday only it is revealed that the eclipse blocked out Saturn meaning that they were born "missing something" (look it's the 80's so just go with it) and have developed a taste for murder be it random strangers, the school teacher of even their own family members.

Just finished it and as I suspected it's pretty bad.

The kill count is pretty modest by slasher flick standards (though to be fair it was made before slasher flicks became a game of can you top this so it may be respectable for the time), it's pretty light on the gore front and the motive if you can even call it that is typical 80's absurdity and like a lot of horror films it ends setting up a sequel that never came.

Some good points though is that kids cast as the killers do a pretty decent job and one section of the film where the nerdy looking boy is wandering the streets at night with a gun looking for someone to kill is pretty disturbing in a Son of Sam kind of way.

As bad as it is though I still have a fondness for it since it is one of my earliest film memories and fans of little known 80's slasher flicks may very well enjoy it more then me.

Just tried to watch this. It's terrible.