DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Richie, I'd have thought you'd be a longtime fan of Troma! I've got the first three (or maybe all four) Toxic Avengers on DVD. Can't sit through 'em, though. But I do have the first Make Your Own Damn Movie DVD boxset and all the Lloyd Kaufman books. Their films are shit, though.

• Paid Members

I fucking loved Toxic Avenger as a kid. For me, it's a bit wrestling in it's choice acting and OTT nature - in a good way. It was actually Pitcos going on about Troma, in regards to Hobo With a Shotgun, that made me re-watch the films again.

Just nuts.

• Paid Members

I was never a massive Toxic Avenger fan, but I did like Sgt Kabukiman NYPD and Surf Nazi's Must Die.

Whilst the film was disappointing, A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell is a great name.

Ive not seen Troma films for donkeys. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Sgt Kabuckiman NYPD and Surf Nazi's must die were all stocked along with The Toxic Avenger in our local video shop back in the day, which was nice.

Watched several bits over the last few days

Flight of The Intruder, cracking 1991 actioner, shot on a seemingly zero budget. Has Willem DaFoe, Danny Glover, Ving Rhames amongst others in a story revolving around the destruction of SAM City during the Vietnam War. It has many, many flaws, but is enjoyable nonetheless.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Cracking film, beautifully shot. It does drag a bit though but really like all the imagery and fantasy elements. Worth a watch if you want to see a beautiful actioner.

Spooks Series 1 and 2: How I missed this first time around is beyond me. Only ever saw it from Series 6 or 7 iirc. Some cracking action stuff, some espionage stuff, some class cameo's including Anthony Head, Alexander El Faddig (Doctor from DS9) William Gaminara (Silent Witness) and Hugh Laurie. Great one liners. The DVD Menu's are the most inventive I've seen. Class all the way through, highly recommended

• Paid Members
I've considered watching Dogtooth on Netflix, but from the description of it on there, it seems like it might be too wanky. Definitely worth it?

It's a really easy and straightforward film to follow, I thought. The way the whole story unravels is just some of the best storytelling I've seen in a film for years. It was brilliant. I watched it on Netflix, too, I'm cramming in loads of films that I couldn't afford during my last DVD buying spree before my trial runs out. I'm watching The Conformist tonight.

Edited by Gladstone Small

Richie, I'd have thought you'd be a longtime fan of Troma! I've got the first three (or maybe all four) Toxic Avengers on DVD. Can't sit through 'em, though.

Honestly mate, as far as I know this was my exposure to Troma Entertainment, but I fucking loved it! I haven

• Paid Members

I've just looked at the top 10, Richie, and all you need to bother with is Dead Snow, Re-Animator and Braindead. Return Of The Living Dead might be good, but I haven't seen it.

• Paid Members

Another one of those films that I had not had the chance to check for some reason or another, but watched it last night:

Equilibrium

Where to start on this one?

Pros:

The plot is very good, with the world being torn apart by war a new civilisation has sprung up in which all members supress any and all feelings,(Via a drug), to avoid confrontation of any kind. In addition to this all material that might assist you in "feeling". So Books/Paintings/Music/Animals etc etc, are all burnt on the spot. This leads to people not taking said drug and wanting to "feel"....but ultimately getting caught out and excecuted. Christian Bale play an enforcer of this "law" who ultimately comes to question what hes being told. Is it all for the greater good, or just another form of control?

The overall Direction of the film seemed very good as well, has this guy done any other movies?ASean Bean is in it, and although his part is small (like most recent films I've seen him in really) he does well for his part. Also we get a cameo from Brian Conley! For what its worth, i'm a fan of his comedy work from when i was a young lad, so to see him gave me a nice suprise!

Cons:

It felt a like it was missing something. I cant really put my finger on it, but i felt like this was a great film, but maybe they didnt get the budget needed to give it a glossy look. That being said, you can see the best was done on whatever budget they had to make this.

Cracking film, worth a watch. I would also say worth adding to the DVD collection if you havent already got it!

The Big Lebowski - Every time I watch this I always think to myself, is it really as good as I make it out to be, and the answer is no. It's better. My son watched this for the first time last night, and I wasn't sure if he would "get" the humor but he loved it. And it wasn't just the slapstick humor he loved, he laughed a lot at the quirky humor which not everyone fins funny. Certainly not many 15 year olds do anyway.