DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
I know it's based on an 80s tv show but I've never seen it

I'm surprised the ticket seller didn't hit you with a fire extinguisher.

Very good Pitcos. He must've lacked my charming passion for movies.

I never connected with the fire extinguisher, it was just intended to scare. I know no one cares, I just feel I have to point it out because it makes all the difference between me being a bit of an arsehole throwing his weight around at a shitty job or me being a liar/attempted murderer.

They're quite good fun for a pair of TV films. Good casts, too, and they were a nice warm-up for Brosnan's Bond stint.

I really like Death Train, always have. Watched in recentlyish on that free film site that some one linked. Decent enough fayre, for a small budget. I didnt realise there was a sequel though. William Devane pops up in loads of stuff doesnt he?

• Paid Members
They're quite good fun for a pair of TV films. Good casts, too, and they were a nice warm-up for Brosnan's Bond stint.

I really like Death Train, always have. Watched in recentlyish on that free film site that some one linked. Decent enough fayre, for a small budget. I didnt realise there was a sequel though. William Devane pops up in loads of stuff doesnt he?

He sure does. No quality control, that guy. Marathon Man and Rolling Thunder are great performances, but he's also been in about a million shitty TV films.

• Paid Members

I watched The Ides of March last night, I hate movies about politics and I really don't like George Clooney so it was never going to win me over easily but my housemate put it on so it got watched.

It was boring, it took WAY too long to build up to having a bit of juicyness in the storyline then when it did it blew over too quickly and never really reached a fever pitch of tension that it could've done. Then suddenly it was over. Really didn't do much for me despite some pretty solid actors, Gosling, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti were all good and Clooney was fine (he sucks but the role suited him) but the material was dull. I will say one thing for it, it was nice and short, I was expecting to be there watching it go on and on for a couple of hours at least but it was done in 1:30.

I watched Carnage the other day. Christoph Waltz and Kate Winslet's son hits John C Reily and Jodie Foster's son in the face with a stick. The couples meet up to decide how to best handle this. Slowly, they irk each other into increasingly petty, childish and cringe-worthy behaviour. It's something you almost feel bad for watching, but it is really funny and all the performances are great. John C Reily's perfectly cast, Christoph Waltz is note-perfect and you still end up feeling sorry for Jodie Foster.

I don't think it's a film that begs for repeat viewings, but the performances and how unedifying the situation becomes definitely make it a worthwhile watch.

• Paid Members

So following on from last weeks film, this week it was of course:

Aliens

As i mentioned last week, i dont really want to go into to much detail as its been said a million times, but again very very good! (It was the special edition if that helps).

I enjoyed the dynamic between Ripley and Bishop, (I also enjoyed the small reference to the 3 laws of robotics from him!, wasnt to sure about the whole "Newt" aspect of the movie, which IMPO the movie wouldnt of missed her if she wasnt in it.....then again of course why else would Ripley go back into the Terrorforming machine? I also officially hate the company she works for, as well as the Company rep who goes with her (i forget his name).......but what an utter cunt. I was actualy getting a bit miffed at the whole inquest thing at the start, "Well for reasons unknown it was you who blew up the space station". They know everything, which makes it so great!

Again forgetting the odd 1 or 2 things that pop up, a great film. I would say for me personally, the first one was the better of the two, but again thats just my view as a whole.

Looking forward to Alien 3 next week!

• Paid Members

The inquest is important, because it sets up everything that follows. Ripley's report gives them details of the Alien, and where to find it.

So in a way, it's all her fault. No wonder she feels such guilt over what happened to Newt.

• Paid Members

The Newt/Ripley storyline makes a whole lot more sense with the special edition when you find out she has just lost her own daughter. Burke is like a slightly more insane version of Gordon Gekko in that film, a full year before the whole 'greed is good' Wallstreet mantra.

Everything is Ripley's fault. Everywhere she goes people die and things go to shit. She's like an intergalactic Jessica Fletcher

• Paid Members

I watched Hell House, a documentary about the evangelical haunted houses, which was spoofed in a Halloween Simpsons a few years back. Obviously demonizes (heh) the religious types, but also allows some very nice character moments to show their humanity. The footage of the actual hell house is insane, and actually very scary in parts. The shit that is believed is insane, though - a kid goes to hell for shooting himself when bullied, but no mention of any judgment on the bullies. It's like a Jack Chick tract come to life.

• Paid Members
I finished watching "Dreamgirls." Not only did I enjoy it, but I enjoyed lusting after the J-Hud. I have a signed note from Mrs JB saying that I can have a go on J-Hud should the Hud ever fancy a bit of JB lovin'. I don't want to hear "I ain't going down" though at that special time.

You're gonna love me!

There's only one flask that the Hudson likes slurping from, JB.