DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Watched a documentary on the Alien franchise and it's amazing the problems Alien 3 had to the point that David Fincher has disowned it.

Yeah, it's amazing that Alien3 turned out to be any good at all considering the issues around it. That's probably mostly to do with Fincher, though, he really is a fantastic director - it's just a shame that we will never get to see just how good Alien3 could have turned out without the issues around it.

I quite like Keanu Reeves actually. He's very over-hated and has a certain charm. I genuinely don't think he's anything approaching a truly bad actor, he's just been woefully miscast on several notable occasions.

Also, Devil's Advocate is worth it right for one of THE great 'Shouty Al' speeches at the end.

'HE'S A SADIIIIIIIIST!'

Edited by Mr. Seven

• Moderators
I quite like Keanu Reeves actually. He's very over-hated and has a certain charm. I genuinely don't think he's anything approaching a truly bad actor, he's just been woefully miscast on several notable occasions.

And on the times where he's been cast towards his... style (?) are definitely his strongest. For example, Point Break, The Matrix, The Day the Earth Stood Still (terrible film, but Keanu's detached, unhuman quality was perfect), or Bill and Ted are films where you'd struggle to imagine a better fit for those roles, whereas his performance in Dracula is one of the worst ever.

Oh yeah, but Dracula is full of bad performances from almost everyone but Oldman.

Also, he's great in Constantine and I have a realy soft spot for that movie. Take out the fanboy outrage and Shia LaBeouf and it's a lot of fun.

• Moderators
Also, he's great in Constantine and I have a realy soft spot for that movie. Take out the fanboy outrage and Shia LaBeouf and it's a lot of fun.

I like that movie too. It's one of those "hey, that's on TV, I'll watch to the end" ones, so I've seen it a ton of times. Oddly, I'm a huge fan of Hellblazer, but I managed to completely separate the film from the comic and feel no nerd-rage whatsoever. Maybe because it's so completely unrelated, it might as well be an original property anyway.

• Paid Members
I can't be the only one that thinks that Point Break is laughably terrible. It's just unbelievably shit.

Oh, thank you so much. You have restored my faith in humanity with that. I was stuck on a fucking coach from Nottingham to Lloret on a school trip, and there was a shortage of tapes to put on the TVs - some seasons of Friends, and this twatarse movie. I couldn't sleep, and therefore I stranded with that wank 4 times. Until I got online regularly, I assumed that every reasonable person must hate that fucking piece of crap. Reeves? Shite. Swayze? An embarrassment. Lori Petty? Fuck off

• Paid Members
I can't be the only one that thinks that Point Break is laughably terrible. It's just unbelievably shit.

Oh, thank you so much. You have restored my faith in humanity with that.

Good job you've not been in chat, then. They were all bumming it in there.

Resurrection isn't good but not as bad as people make out I think.

Oh, it fucking is.

I was supposed to go to a midnight screening of Alien last month, but it clashed with something, so I ended up introducing my girlfriend to the series by means of DVD. Even she couldn't bare more than 20 minutes of Resurrection. It really is utter, utter wank and completely devoid of anything worthwhile.

Oh don't get me wrong it's not good and I'll almost certainly never watch it again but I was expecting one of the worst films ever made and got something that was quite fun and very dumb. The hybrid alien thing did look hilarious though!

Watched a documentary on the Alien franchise and it's amazing the problems Alien 3 had to the point that David Fincher has disowned it.

Whats the name of that doc? wouldn't mind giving it a watch

Nevermind just spotted it on the previous page, cheers Blackson

Edited by BxB Hulk

• Paid Members

Whats the name of that doc? wouldn't mind giving it a watch

Is it the one that comes with the Alien Quadrilogy set? That one originally had a lot more clips of David Fincher getting fucked about in it, but they ended up being edited out in much the same way as Constantine did with the Bible.

There is one particular clip remaining though, showing Fincher taking a phone call from the studio execs and being told that the script has been ammended and the scene he's about to shoot is no longer needed.

• Paid Members

Just got back from seeing 21 Jump Street

There are 0 spoilers here by the way.

I've got to say I was really impressed, I hadn't seen a single trailer or anything which is rare for me as I usually keep up to date with upcoming movies. It made it all the more enjoyable to me as apart from the 2 stars & the very basic premise everything was a surprise. I've been disappointed with a lot of mainstream American comedies in recent years & most stuff like horrible bosses, hangover & shit have been too over the top & left me cold but I really enjoyed this one, the story moves along well with no real lags & it keeps it interesting without getting in the way of the humour. I think I would've definitely enjoyed it less if I had seen a trailer but I recommend it, unless you hate silly American action comedies, but even if you do this is a pretty good one.

I know it's based on an 80s tv show but I've never seen it, I think they just took the very basic premise & did their own thing with it.

Channing Tatum doesn't always show a lot of charisma on screen but I like him & he was perfect in this & he had good chemistry with Jonah hill. It's a shame he passed on the role of Captain America as I think he would've been better than Chris Evans.

Must check out 21 jump street. its the only one of this weeks new releases i havnt seen yet.

I did however check out Contraband, which is a perfectly fine action thriller that should have had more promotion behind it. I like Mark Wahlburg and hes great as usual, star performance goes to Giovanni Ribisi though.

The next day for some unknown reason, me and the mrs went to see The Devil Inside. I keep up on my movie news, I know all about how bad this movie is supposed to be so we went in with low expectations thinking it might be so bad its funny......it wasnt.

Legit the worst film ive ever seen in a cinema, not scary, unlikable actors and a basic plot ruined by blatant foreshadowing of every turn, jump and scare.

My Mrs usually jumps if someone bangs a door too loud, the only thing that got her in this was travel sickness due to the camera been so shakey thoughout the film (Which also doesnt make sense because you see several times the character has the camera on a steadycam mount, meaning it wouldnt shake like that).

I saw the film for free and still wanted a refund. Dont see it, tell your friends not to see it.

• Paid Members

Just watched Two Headed Shark Attack

Acting - Awful. Brooke hogan has nice tits, but is wooden as hell.

Plotline - Awful. Bits of it, and the actions taken by the characters just make no sense at all.

Special Effects - Awful. Bad rubber models, and CCG that looks like a 5 year old has done it.

But......

It is really fun. It kept me entertained for the full 72 minute running time. Put your film snobbery to one side, and just enjoy it. you will, I promise!