New Doctor Who

stewdogg

I'm glad you bumped this thread, as I was looking for somewhere to share the incomparable value of this second tweet, and "Top Twitter" didn't quite seem to cover it:

Screenshot_20181008-134141_2.png

I just... why?

Anyway, yes, I rather enjoyed it. No solid impressions made either way yet, but the trepidation I had while watching the trailer was gone by the end of the episode.

• Awards Moderator

I really enjoyed it. Whittaker was great, thought some of the cinematography was pretty good as well. Story was fine, introduced everyone well. 

Other half loved it - she’s always hated Doctor Who (well, since about halfway through Eccleston) but was really into this. Thirteen is already her Doctor.

First episodes are always hard to judge with the new Doctor. Bar the Eleventh Hour, which is the finest post-regeneration Doctor story ever, they are always about the new Doctor coming to terms with their new self rather than any threat.

It was OK. Whitaker was fine, she'll obviously grow massively as the series goes on. I liked Bradley Walsh and the other lad. Didn't see much point to the Police Officer, but again, I imagine she'll grow as we go on.

My worry is Chibnall as the main writer. Bar the first series of Broadchurch I haven't liked anything he's ever done (his Doctor Who stories up until last nights have not set the world on fire) But very happy to be proved wrong.

All in all very enjoyable and a promising start. It really benefits from being on a Sunday evening as well.

• Awards Moderator

I sat the family down to watch it tonight. Loved it. The Tennant years were critical viewing in our house and I missed having that fulcrum programme. It was a good stall-setting episode, with lots of silliness, family scariness, technobabble, overacting and dodgy BBC effects. Perfect and I wish it well. 

(was it only me who recognised about two people in that 'coming soon' trailer? Clearly they're boasting about who they've bagged but I guess I don't watch enough Casualty) 

• Paid Members

I loved it. Felt visually different to previous seasons, and a bit more "serious telly" than it has in a while, without Moffat's self-indulgence. 

Whittaker was great, and I'm glad they didn't overdo the "new Doctor still finding her way" to the detriment of the story - which, for a generic "monster of the week" was actually pretty intriguing - and the supporting cast were better than expected. I was dreading Bradley Walsh, but he was really good. Testament to the writing that I got a bit emotional at the death of a character we'd only just met.

I watched with two people - a woman obsessed with Doctor Who, and a first-time viewer. That both enjoyed it, I would consider a success - it being as close to a clean slate as possible (new Doctor, new companions, new showrunner) obviously helped the first-timer, but the long-term fan was at times on the edge of her seat, wide-eyed, and I honestly don't think I've seen such a joyful expression as she had on her face when Whittaker first got to say "I'm the Doctor". Even if it were a shit episode, it would have all been worth it for that alone.

• Paid Members

My mum and my mother-in-law, both in their 70s, watched for the first time in their lives, without bring prompted. They both enjoyed it and plan to watch again.

I genuinely can't get my head around the idea that my mum watched Doctor Who.

Before this thread was resurrected I was reading the reactions on Digital Spy. Never again.

In amongst the debate over whether having more than one brown person on screen is PC gone mad (no pun intended), one berk was asking, "So is it Mrs Who, now? Miss? Ms?" - appearing completely unaware that lady doctors are a thing.

So I rewatched it today. A few second viewing thoughts:

I will be interested to see how she develops. She was clearly very Tennant in this, but he always had that slither of darkness through him. She was a bit primary school teacher at times. Looking forward to discovering her as it goes on. As I mentioned before, very early days.

The scripts do worry me. This really sagged in the middle and I find that a real problem in Chibnall's writing. Hopefully this was just a first episode issue in order to set everything up.

Loved the charity shop for her outfit strand. Don't know why but it just felt right.

Loved how the gender is mentioned one maybe twice and that's it. It doesn't matter. I get the feeling other writers would have done a whole hour on The Doctor using the wrong toilet.

• Paid Members

I quite enjoyed it. Definitely still in the "setting the scene" phase of getting used to the new Doctor, but I liked it all the same - this series really feels like a soft reboot, we even got a full-blown, "bigger on the inside" talk, rather than the new companion cutely subverting it or whatever. 

I like that the story was quite slow moving, and more focused on characters than action - particularly with multiple companions, it's better to allow those characters time to breathe, rather than just being a vehicle to move a ropey plot forward. 

My only real criticism was that there was some classic BBC sound editing during the scene of the Doctor on the spaceship, with needless background music humming away during conversations.

I really like the new TARDIS design - they've played so much in New Who with the TARDIS being a living entity, so making that more explicit with this sort of bio-punk organic look is fun, and part of it just being built out of junk fits with the idea that the TARDIS just rebuilds itself, and feels like a throwback to the steampunk TARDIS of the Movie, which is one of my favourite designs. I'm not a big fan of the new theme tune, but the drums being so high in the mix does feel like it fits with the new TARDIS, as an earthier, more naturalistic design.

and more focused on characters than action - particularly with multiple companions, it's better to allow those characters time to breathe, rather than just being a vehicle to move a ropey plot forward.  

I thought the companions were terrible this week. Yaz was pointless, the other fella went into sulky mood that made him seem like a 12 year old rather than a 19 year old trying to overcome his issues. Yaz also going 'without her we wouldn't be safe' or something, was utterly bizarre given two of the companions just lost their wife/grandmother due to the Doctor's involvement in their lives (they agreed with Yaz automatically!)

In RTD and Moffs eras the second episode serves to show the companion the danger of traveling with the Doctor, it reveals a bit more about the character to them. This episode? Nothing

On second viewing you notice how there was also no tension during the entire episode. 

Also Chibnal's dialogue always sounds like 'TV talk' rather than natural.

I'm still hopeful, but my worry about the writing is still there. (Jodie is good, but her Doctor needs more development, which I hope will happen)