New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I'm not arsed either way because I started Dr Who in the Eccleston years and stopped in the Tennent ones, but the first words out of her mouth in the article I just read were "as a feminist" which is pretty much the only reason a woman was given the role. 

I hate Doctor Who and wish it would have been Kris Marshall or someone else similarly horrible for comedy reasons, but this post is complete horseshit and you're no better than the #NotMyDoctor wankers on Twitter.

The "fans" who are kicking off seem to have somehow missed what Doctor Who was about for all these years. It's not just a show about aliens galavanting through time and space, having adventures and larfs.

Like all good sci-fi, it's about examining the human condition and human relationships in ways that only these impossible constructs allow. And there can be fewer better, more accessible, and more entertaining ways to explore the role of gender in society than by putting the Doctor in a female body and seeing what difference, if any, it makes.

There are times when the phrase "they can, therefore they should" has real meaning and purpose, and this could be one of those times.

• Paid Members

Lovely bit of trolling in a comment on a site I write for:

This is silly. It's DOCTOR Who, not Nurse Who. So now they have to change the title just to make it so a woman can play the part?? SJW are ruining everything!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JNLister said:

When people argue Jodie Whittaker was picked through tokenism, are they suggesting she unfairly got the role over superior actor Kris Marshall?

Now now, we all know that only straight white men ever achieve anything fairly, and women and minorities are handing everything undeservedly because Political Correctness.

The whole point of science fiction is to look at familiar concepts from a new angle, if you can't handle a female lead in a sci-fi story, you never really grasped the point of sci-fi anyway. If you can't handle a female Doctor Who, you've not really being paying attention to what Doctor Who is all about.

To be honest, I've seen far, far more reaction from people pre-empting a sexist backlash than actual sexist backlash. However, I imagine there might've been at least slightly less of a reaction if Phoebe Waller-Bridge had been announced instead. If the Doctor was going to be a woman, I would've preferred it to be someone with a mysterious quality like her.

EDIT: oh and i'm delighted Kris Marshall isn't getting it. Fuck Kris Marshall and his stupid BT wife.

Edited by Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, that sounds dreadful. I'm all on-board with a female Doctor Who, I hadn't even considered that it might make them go with a male companion, and certainly not Kris sodding Marshall.

It makes the Doctor look a bit skeezy if (s)he is, regardless of his/her own gender, consciously selecting companions of the opposite sex to drag away on big adventures, doesn't it?

I was hoping they'd go for a dual companion, maybe a couple of something.

It always seems to work better for me when there's 2 people in there, so the spotlight can be varied. Micky/Rose, Rory/Amy and Bill/Nardole...They're the golden periods for me. I'm certainly not into the idea of sexual chemistry between the doctor and his companion. I think it'd seem even cheaper with a female Doctor, too.

What's really disappointing is the amount of established characters who've said they won't return for the Chibnall era. One of my greatest joys as a fan is seeing someone who knows the doctor not recognising him after a regeneration, until for some reason it clicks. River/Twelfth and Sarah Jane/Tenth stand out in particular. Those scenes are always magic. And I imagine they'd be even better now. Good lord, I'm not her biggest fan but River Song meeting the 13th would be great..

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I'm sure we'll get at least one or two in there, they can't just cut ties with the past, but it's probably better for a new show-runner and a new Doctor coming in together to get as much of a blank slate as possible. It would have been nice to have a companion to bridge the gap, but the last thing we need is for a series to be wasted on Chibnall tying up Moffat's loose ends.

• Paid Members

I asked on Twitter why people, including women, were so upset with a female doctor. All I got in response was objections to "PC genderflipping." I've asked for any canon reason why the doctor can't regenerate into a woman, like maybe it's long established that the regeneration machine doesn't have a vagina mould so it's impossible that the doctor could be a woman (I don't watch the show, this could be the case) but have yet to get a response.

It seems it's mainly a mix of "well, it's always been a man so it always have to be a man" and "PC gone mad."

Edited by SpursRiot2012