New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It doesn’t strike me as a very ‘Doctor Who’ casting yet,

Is there such thing as a Doctor Who casting? Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaket were very different from the previous three doctors and some of the assistants cast have been surprising (Bradley Walsh, Catherine Tate). I don't think there is a typical casting to be honest, they like to shake things up. 

4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Is there such thing as a Doctor Who casting? Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaket were very different from the previous three doctors and some of the assistants cast have been surprising (Bradley Walsh, Catherine Tate). I don't think there is a typical casting to be honest, they like to shake things up. 

I don’t know about that, necessarily.

Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi and Whitaker all had quite sizey bodies of work before taking the role, both in film and on stage.

This fella has a very limited CV, which makes it exciting, but up until now there always seems to have been an intent to get people that have played a broad range of roles and covered a broad range of emotions - as whether you like Doctor Who or not, you have to accept the role is one of the broadest in TV.

The unknown is very exciting, and I trust they know what they’re up to. Even if audiences haven’t seen it, yet.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I can hear the outcry now. From a "female" Doctor to a black, gay Doctor. I might swing past the Digital spy forums for a giggle at some gammon later on. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t know about that, necessarily.

Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi and Whitaker all had quite sizey bodies of work before taking the role, both in film and on stage.

This fella has a very limited CV, which makes it exciting, but up until now there always seems to have been an intent to get people that have played a broad range of roles and covered a broad range of emotions - as whether you like Doctor Who or not, you have to accept the role is one of the broadest in TV.

The unknown is very exciting, and I trust they know what they’re up to. Even if audiences haven’t seen it, yet.

Ah I see, in terms of previous experience, that makes sense.

Just now, PunkStep said:

Ah I see, in terms of previous experience, that makes sense.

To be fair, I could have worded it better.

You have to be careful today, as most criticisms of the casting DO seem to be thinly veiled racism and/or homophobia.

I’m never not staggered by backlash against castings based on race/gender/sexuality - ‘woke BBC’ - how the fuck do you know if they’re going to be any good? Were you at the audition? 

Particularly with this lad. He’s been in one thing. There’s no reason to assume anything.

FWIW he’s a very good actor, and if they want to have a young energetic Doctor then he’s a decent pick.  I prefer The Doctor as old kindly professors but that’s probably too old hat now.

As with Bond, and any casting of historical parts, it’s impossible to cast someone of colour without that being the story, even if their skin colour was entirely irrelevant to the casting.

Of course, whom they cast is a far bigger story than Doctor Who itself, which has been a godawful camp mess since Eccleston.  It seems hugely popular with its target audience, kids, so the BBC will run it until the heat death of the universe as they should.

32 minutes ago, Loki said:

FWIW he’s a very good actor, and if they want to have a young energetic Doctor then he’s a decent pick.  I prefer The Doctor as old kindly professors but that’s probably too old hat now.

As with Bond, and any casting of historical parts, it’s impossible to cast someone of colour without that being the story, even if their skin colour was entirely irrelevant to the casting.

Of course, whom they cast is a far bigger story than Doctor Who itself, which has been a godawful camp mess since Eccleston.  It seems hugely popular with its target audience, kids, so the BBC will run it until the heat death of the universe as they should.

Easy. Easy, Easy, Easy.

Eccleston’s stories were actually more child-like and campy than any that followed, I think. Those fart-monsters were a particular lowlight. He just happened to bring a dark charisma to it.

Tennant was good, but perhaps it became a bit triumphal and more like a superhero than ever before.

For me, Matt Smith is the best doctor of the new era. Phenomenal actor that was tackling quite ridiculously illogical stories at times. But, for my money, his first season is sensational from top to bottom.

In general though, I’d say Moffatt actually took Doctor Who in perhaps a too grown-up/dark direction with Smith and then Capaldi - stories about marriage, divorce, sex, death, genocide etc - and the Whitaker era was meant to be a reaction to that.

If anything, I reckon it became less campy and silly over time but may be about to revert to the mean. RTD’s vision of the show is clearly a younger, more child friendly product (quite rightly, I guess), so I suspect we’ll end up back with fart monsters and what have you.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

53 minutes ago, Loki said:

Of course, whom they cast is a far bigger story than Doctor Who itself, which has been a godawful camp mess since Eccleston

Where as before it was a serious highbrow drama? It’s always had a camp, kitschy feel to it since the Tom Baker days hasn’t it?

44 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry, I've only ever seen Eccelstone on Dr Who, but hasn't it always been a kids show, and its target audience has always been children?

Or was it not the same before the "modern" era?

It is, and should be, but Moffat era stretched that as far as it would go. Apparently execs at the time wanted to challenge the huge TV franchises of America.

Personally, it led to some great episodes but I don’t think it was good for the show overall.

There was a Capaldi era episode which was a monologue, where he was trapped in a shape shifting castle trying to escape - with the reveal being that he died a million times previously and reset the challenge. There’s one scene where he’s lying amongst the corpses of his previous incarnations.

It was perhaps a bit much for Doctor Who.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Where as before it was a serious highbrow drama? It’s always had a camp, kitschy feel to it since the Tom Baker days hasn’t it?

I nearly said “and even earlier” but I was a kid when I watched it and it all seemed fucking terrifying so for me, it was horror.

I think tbf British sci-fi ends up feeling quite camp because our budgets are tiny in comparison to the US and we can’t really do po-faced like they can.