New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members

Yeah, a lot of replies to his tweets about how disappointed his dad woukd be to see this going on, and how he never seems to take issue with other shows his dad worked on, and how he didn't seem to have a problem with the episodes being on Britbox. It is a real shame because it's the fans who get punished. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Well. 

I quite enjoyed that, though the trans stuff was very heavy handed. And solving the metacrisis with the power of being a woman was really shit. 

Otherwise it was a fun little episode.  

Edit: 

I'm going to have to take back, somewhat, the trans comment. It felt heavy handed to me, but given the reactions from the trans community on twitter/x it seemed to hit the mark for them. So hush my mouth.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

I like how David Tennant's Fourteenth Doctor is different from Tennant's Tenth Doctor.  The double turn was done well, and the very brief preview of next week looked good. The new stuff the Sonic Screwdriver can do is interesting too. 

I watched the colourised Daleks on Friday night as well, and the actual courisation was really nice, but the weird editing was bad. I also found it a little annoying that every time they mentioned something that had happened earlier they felt the need to show a flashback to it happening, and some of the music they added in was unnecessary. I think I'd still rather watch all seven parts of the original Dalek story. 

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I really enjoyed it. I love how much piss it's going to boil. 

My thoughts exactly. I giggled as they discussed pronouns, simply because I could foresee the frothing gammon. If they didn't like a woman doctor...

I really enjoyed the episode. Back to cosy, fun, family programming rather than up-its-own-arse fanwankery.

Thoughts on the Doctor Who special:

+ I enjoyed the story, thought it was very well done.

+ I thought the way they handled Wilfred not being there anymore was very respectful.

+ I enjoyed the villain reveal, probably because that's how I see hamsters.

- I thought the way the show looked seemed a bit odd to me, but I'll get used to it. Reminded me of Miracle Day, which I actually enjoyed.

- The new T.A.R.D.I.S was a bit too large for my tastes. It seems like The Doctor needs to be able to get to the console in a hurry in an emergency, which would be a struggle in a space so large.

All in all, just some classic silly Doctor Who bollocks, I enjoyed it overall. I give it 4 Cybermats out of 5.

• Paid Members

The look of the show will probably be down to either Sony or Disney. The new stuff the sonic screwdriver can do and things. 

I saw a lot of people getting upset about Rose, including one who was in about how 20 year old trans women shouldn't play non binary teenagers because of how they're not able to medically transition, but he soon shut up when I asked why he was so interested in trans teenagers. 

My thoughts on Wild Blue Yonder:

+ Nice callback to the HADS system, I don't think we've seen that since Capaldi's episode "The Magician's Apprentice"!
+ Wilfred Mott. Just.....Wilfred Mott. 
+ Getting used to the filming style.
+ I'm starting to see what people see in Donna, she's definitely growing on me
+ Angry neckbeards being angry about Isaac Newton

- The fake-out on Donna being left on the ship. They were never going to kill her off, so the suspense was lost a little bit
- The T.A.R.D.I.S interior is still a bit large for my tastes
- As good as the episodes have been, I'm getting a bit impatient to see Ncuti Gatwa. C'mon Dave, let someone else have a go!

All in all, a solid episode. Another 4 Sargent Bentons out of 5.

I’m in a slightly different camp. I’m gutted we’re going to spend such a short amount of time with Fourteen.

I love David Tennant, but I actually didn’t always love Ten as I thought he was a bit too smiley, clappy kids entertainer with it. At the time I missed Eccleston’s slightly darker portrayal, and Matt Smith for me was an absolutely perfect Doctor (for what I wanted).

There were moments of greatness with Ten, but Fourteen really feels like it could be an all time great Doctor era. And we’re only getting 3 episodes.

The big takeaway for me from the 2 episodes so far is that Tennant and Tate have magnificent chemistry, and despite them flexing what is clearly a MASSIVE budget - there are still some really cheap looking moments.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

- The fake-out on Donna being left on the ship. They were never going to kill her off, so the suspense was lost a little bit

I'm working somewhat on the assumption that none of this is real, and that's its all a fiction created by the Toymaker so I thought they might do it as a fake out. 

I'm loving how confident RTD's writing feels. Yeah, pronouns, the Doctor is bisexual (well, as far as humanity understands it), the Doctor wasn't born on Gallifrey no matter how much we all hate that storyline, shove it up your pipe and smoke it. It's bizarre that it's happening with Disney's dime. 

I appreciate how the show still looks a bit shit at times. Like, they've obviously got more of a budget, and certain things look a lot better, but they're still stretching that budget to breaking point. To me that's part of the charm of the show. 

I did wonder if they might try and tie the copying monsters in with Midnight. Glad they didn't, I like that this makes the universe (or the lack of it) even bigger.