New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Hide contents

The "Bi-generation" was a little surprising, but it was good to see two Doctors interact with each other like this. I loved the chemistry they had, and how quickly he was accepted by Donna & Mel.

I do worry that this is some kind of "In case of rating drop deploy Tennant" shadow now hanging over the series, but I also feel like the reason they did this was so RTD could give Tennant's Doctor a "happy ending" and bring the curtain down on the previous iteration of Doctor Who,

So wait... does this not mean there is a core Doctor Who and TWO David Tennants running around? Wasn't he cloned so he could run off and shack up with Rose or something?

Spoiler

It does theoretically mean we have Fourteen, Ten, and the Metacrisis Doctor for a Tennant Triple Threat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched the Christmas special earlier. It was fine, but I think could have benefitted from being 90 minutes. It felt a bit rushed. Ncuti Gatwa is so cool as the Doctor, and looks like he's having a great time, and Ruby Sunday looks like she'll be an interesting character. Some interesting stuff has been set up for the coming series, but it felt a little rushed. Rumour has it Stephen Moffat has written one of the episodes for the forthcoming series as well, which could be good. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

That's true, but it just felt like they'd crammed a lot into an hour of television, and if it'd had more time some of it could have breathed a little more. 

My thoughts on The Church On Ruby Road:

Spoiler

+The Goblin Song now lives rent-free on my head.

+Davina McCall was surprisingly good AND she did not say fuck or bugger.

+Ncuti Gatwa has some pipes! 

+The Gammons getting all upset about literally any form of representation.

+The story was fun, I liked the little twist about the elderly neighbour knowing what the T.A.R.D.I.S was, and Ruby Sunday is well on her way to being my favourite NuWho companion! It's early days yet but we'll see!

+The Goblin King was suitably disgusting, loved the puppet work in general.

-The Goblin Song now lives rent-free in my head.

-Ncuti Gatwa was fantastic but I didn't have a "Yes, this is The Doctor" moment yet. Again, early days but I hope we get there sooner rather than later.

-Eating babies. Yes, I know this was the plot but that's always a negative.

-Ruby's mum forgetting her. That bothered me a little, no idea why. 

All in all, a fun episode, definitely one of the stronger NuWho specials, I give it 4 Miracle Day's out of 5.

Liked Ncuti. Too early to tell with Ruby. Didn’t enjoy the episode overall really, can’t really put my finger on exactly why but it felt poorly paced and underdeveloped. I’m generally an RTD mark so I was quite disappointed. I’ll still be giving the new series a whirl of course.

• Paid Members

I very much enjoyed it. Ruby started a bit shakey, but picked up. 15 was brilliant. It's great to see a Doctor have fun again, and Gatwa having a dance in a skirt was a glorious sight. 

Anita Dobson as the neighbour had me and the wife saying she seemed suss from the get go, so I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes.

Ultimately a fun episode.with great set pieces, and 2 leads with great chemistry (and, as they used to say, something for the Dads, but also now for the mums, and for Uncle Steve who grandad says 'loves musical theatre').

Not for me, really.

I thought Ncuti was great, and Ruby was trademark RTD mainstream bait, but the episode was a bit shallow for me.

I'm a big Moffat guy, though, and always found RTD hit and miss so I have to expect for every Blink there'll be a few Slitheen's.

I hope they don't abandon the deep sci-fi stuff completely. It always felt like RTD was never that arsed with sci-fi really, and with the brief now being just to be a big show for everyone it may get marginalised even further.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

It's really bizarre how much traction that story has gotten. RTD's original run was always changing the key cast:

9th Doctor/Rose

10th Doctor/Rose

10th Doctor/Martha

10th Doctor/Donna

Its just such a weird non story. 

Off topic, but one of the worst things about right wing comedy is the laughs aren’t generated by clever wordplay, or even punchlines, but how an imaginary person in the audiences head will react. “Haha Chubby! The gimmigrants won’t like that one” “Lol Ricky! That’s going to upset the pronoun brigade!!” “Ooh Jim, that’s going to melt the snowflakes!!” Etc

I’m seeing it much more from the left these days too. I don’t watch Doctor Who as I’ve always thought it was shite, but a lot of friends like it and love the writing, the universe, the canon, the history, the works. All I ever seem to see about the current incarnation(s) is never about the writing or acting etc, but of how much the gammons are going to hate it. I’m guessing there has to be more to it and it actually has its own merits but if all it has going for it is annoying imaginary people in your head (and I know there are real people voicing disgust at it) then maybe it’s actually pretty shit? 

I'm not saying that the intention is solely to cast diverse actors in roles to simply annoy conservative people.

It's just that in making the show more representative you have had keyboard warriors on the right banging on about what a great show it used to be but now it's gone "woke".

Dr Who just for the record was critiquing fascism from it's 2nd serial.

But we have had a swathe of news stories this week trying to suggest that something untoward has happened in the changing of the cast. The result has been a further pile on from the anti-woke/anti-BBC mob.