New Doctor Who

stewdogg

17 hours ago, BomberPat said:

If it was a white bloke cast in the role, all those pricks wouldn't ever question whether his was the best audition. Funny, that.

Has there been much push back on this? All I have seen is people going 'oh the racists wont like this' and bar a few trolls, nobody really seems to have kicked off.

The female casting got a lot more shit from casual fans to die hard's to wankers. This casting seems to have been met with 'we'll see how he does'

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Has there been much push back on this? All I have seen is people going 'oh the racists wont like this' and bar a few trolls, nobody really seems to have kicked off.

There's a few, in the usual places. It's probably overstated, but the comments to the announcement on the BBC website had a fair bit of "go woke, go broke", "first a woman, now this...", "typical BBC box-ticking" and so on.

There's far more positivity than overt racism, but there's also a lot of the "I hope he was cast for his acting skills, not just for diversity" comments around, which you simply don't get when a white male is cast in anything - nobody questions whether a white man is the best choice for the job, they just assume they got it on merit, whereas everyone else is assumed to have had a leg-up. 

On top of that, there's the well-meaning liberal comments of, "it doesn't matter if the Doctor's white, black, male or female, I'm sure it will be great!" comments that you never see when an actor is cast who is white and male - racial identity "not mattering" is only put to the foreground when it's a minority identity that actually probably does matter to a lot of people. 

Yeah I get you on that. Personally I just assess what they're like when I watch the show. I think with Who, like Bond, you have an attachment to what you grew up with and like, so anything that goes against your image of the Doctor you automatically react against.

Of course there are just idiots.

Not entirely sure what’s going on (think that’s the point), but they’ve just announced that David Tennant will return as the Doctor, alongside Ncuti Gatwa, ‘in 2023’.

Donna Noble on the way back too.

Some speculation they’re going to do a Tennant/Noble episode, a Smith/Gillian episode and a Capaldi/Coleman episode with Gatwa as the throughline between them. I think they need to get Eccleston/Piper on board to fully complete the set and make it feel right, though.

I think the Chibnall era is going to be consigned to the dustbin of history very quickly.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Can't see Eccleston coming back under RTD.

I hope that if they do any multi Doctor shenanigans they include some of the classic ones, even if it's only in a Curator like role. I know there's some incredibly dull, unimaginative people out there who like to grumble that the actors don't look the same anymore, but Tom Baker's appearance should hopefully have reminded them that's it's Doctor Who and it really doesn't matter. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Not entirely sure what’s going on (think that’s the point), but they’ve just announced that David Tennant will return as the Doctor, alongside Ncuti Gatwa, ‘in 2023’.

Donna Noble on the way back too.

Some speculation they’re going to do a Tennant/Noble episode, a Smith/Gillian episode and a Capaldi/Coleman episode with Gatwa as the throughline between them. I think they need to get Eccleston/Piper on board to fully complete the set and make it feel right, though.

I think the Chibnall era is going to be consigned to the dustbin of history very quickly.

It's the 60th anniversary next year as wll, so it'd make sense to do some throwback stuff like that for a nostalgia kick. It would have been interesting to see how Jodie Whittaker/one of her companions would have been as written by RTD, or even yb Chibnall under RTD's supervision. Is Moffatt going to be involved for the Smith/Capaldi stuff I wonder?

I can't wait until the papers run a story about how RTD killed off an unnamed Boris Johnson and replaced him with an auton in his novelisation of Rose.   

WOKE BBC DOCTOR WHO BOSS KILLED PM AND REPLACED HIM WITH AN ALIEN

Can they please just give Paul McGann a fair fucking crack. Its ridiculous. His 13 minute short episode with the 50th showed how superb he is. I really don't care about David Tennant's Dick Van Dyke impression popping up again. Give us McGann as a link back to the old series. He still looks the same!

• Paid Members

If they’re doing a proper anniversary then they need to just have a vague ‘time is being displaced and pulling the doctors and ageing them’ storyline and have as many as they can in it. The old boys doing their greatest hits is far more appealing to me than Catherine Tate showing up again. It’s the BBC though, they’ll aim for epic and have it looking like an episode of Babylon 5

35 minutes ago, chokeout said:

The old boys doing their greatest hits is far more appealing to me than Catherine Tate showing up again

It seems the BBC are far more focused on celebrating 'New Who' then the classic series. Its a 60th, these guys are alive. Yes you don't have to shoehorn them in all over, but McCoy etc deserve something having been extremely loyal to the show during the wilderness years.

Fuck it, do animated one offs if you don't want to see Old Colin Baker. Guy sounds the same.

Unpopular opinion, but I liked Donna. She seemed more of an equal to Tennant than either Rose or Martha who were both so in love with him he was like a big old time shifting groomer.

I thought her arc was almost perfect, she was so human, she started out as some lary chav type who really learned and grew on her adventures with the doctor. She was genuinely happy to be part of it, and personally speaking her character, and Tate's performance in the Ood story was one of the best of the assistant stories in the new series. If anything she really kept the Series 4 doctor in check as he was becoming a right intolerable little so and so. Her humanity throughout was so genuine, it was nice for an assistant to not use the time game to their own advantage as Rose and Matha did. I know she eventually got a winning lottery ticket, but that was him not her. Her ending was tragically perfect with the fact that she couldn't remember all of her adventures, but she did eventually get married and then the lottery win too.