New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

She's a terrific actress, and it's good for a writer/actor to know each other.

I'd have rather Phoebe Waller-Bridge, probably, but I'm happy with it.

Plus, it's not Kris Marshall.

They are continuing the tradition of casting very accomplished actors to the role. Which is good.

With the Han Solo film, Goodbye Christopher Robin and the success of Fleabag in America, I somewhat expect sadly that Waller-Bridge priced out of the role ever so slightly, plus filming conflicts.

Happy with Jodie though, fantastic actress.

• Paid Members

I'm not arsed either way because I started Dr Who in the Eccleston years and stopped in the Tennent ones, but the first words out of her mouth in the article I just read were "as a feminist" which is pretty much the only reason a woman was given the role. She's a token they've cashed in to please a few people and state equality, next one will be a bloke and everything will be as it was.

19 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I'm not arsed either way because I started Dr Who in the Eccleston years and stopped in the Tennent ones, but the first words out of her mouth in the article I just read were "as a feminist" which is pretty much the only reason a woman was given the role. She's a token they've cashed in to please a few people and state equality, next one will be a bloke and everything will be as it was.

Really? 

• Paid Members

So

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

So why shouldn't the Doctor be played by a women? I mean, that's what you're insinuating by saying she's just a token and then it will be 'as it was'.

3 hours ago, Farrington said:

Went to school with Jodie and know the family - she's a lovely person and a great actress. Chuffed 😊

You went to Shelley? They are getting quite a good alumnus for a random school in Huddersfield, Cersei Lannister and Doctor Who!

Yes but usually when he mentions feminism, it is equated to a few aggressive tweets he once saw.

EDIT - Sorry, that looks like a knock, he would wonder, quite fairly, if it was tokenism if a person of colour was cast in the role.  Saw something pointing out this isn't radical casting as it's essentially well spoken white person taking over the role played by a well spoken white person.  Thought that was very "CraigNotBond" of them.

Edited by Keith Houchen
White trainers

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Duke said:

To be fair, I don't think he's saying that the doctor shouldn't be a woman, just that it feels cynical casting. 

Pretty much this, yeah. Similarly if a black doctor was chosen and then declared it a huge step for their race. It's not, you were picked entirely so people will stop asking for it and they could move on after you and say "we already did that".

I wouldn't care if Dr Who was a horse, I don't watch it, but a female doctor or a black doctor, or anything but a middle class white male doctor is a PR stunt at best.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

I get what you're saying, and to be honest maybe there is a bit of that to it (try to widen and increase fanbase/viewers), but given that the role isn't gender specific then it was always going to happen someday, wasn't it? If the role isn't gender or race specific, then there's no reason why it has to be a white male. White males can't always be the best option for this character surely? I think a big decision behind this is a creative one too- try and shake things up a bit and give a different dynamic. And also to draw as few comparisons possible against the hallowed David Tennant and Matt Smith as possible.

29 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Pretty much this, yeah. Similarly if a black doctor was chosen and then declared it a huge step for their race. It's not, you were picked entirely so people will stop asking for it and they could move on after you and say "we already did that".

I wouldn't care if Dr Who was a horse, I don't watch it, but a female doctor or a black doctor, or anything but a middle class white male doctor is a PR stunt at best.

That's an incredibly cynical viewpoint. 

If Idris Elba was picked to play Bond, it would be because he was the best choice and fitted that direction, not solely because he's black and the makers think it will "placate" some. 

After 54 years, the writers probably want to take it in a completely new direction, and to say they've just picked a female for the reasons you're saying is just weird. Sorry 

When I first found out today I did feel a bit odd about it, but to be honest I've only watched about three episodes of this season anyway so to say it would putting me off watching in future is a bit disingenuous. I have really loved the series at times but really I think I'm just a bit over Doctor Who in general by now, so ultimately it doesn't make a big difference to me. If I hear she's fantastic and the series is tremendous, I'll probably tune in again.

Be interesting to see what they do with the companion now mind. Will they go for a male to 'balance' things out?