New Doctor Who

stewdogg

What a series ender this will be. Might as well have regenerated Into Sylvester McCoy. She will last 1 series max I've no interest in watching a woman Dr who as it isn't right. If BBC aren't careful they will lose the American audience which is the the only thing financing the series 

5 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

When I first found out today I did feel a bit odd about it, but to be honest I've only watched about three episodes of this season anyway so to say it would putting me off watching in future is a bit disingenuous. I have really loved the series at times but really I think I'm just a bit over Doctor Who in general by now, so ultimately it doesn't make a big difference to me. If I hear she's fantastic and the series is tremendous, I'll probably tune in again.

Be interesting to see what they do with the companion now mind. Will they go for a male to 'balance' things out?

Probably go for trans binary or some bollocks like that 

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

I wouldn't care if Dr Who was a horse, I don't watch it, but a female doctor or a black doctor, or anything but a middle class white male doctor is a PR stunt at best.

Yeah, the casting of Christopher Eccleston back in 2004 was such a crass PR stunt.

Scfi has long played with gender conventions, so I'm not really sure why people are so up in arms about it  Ripley was originally meant to be a man, we've already had a lesbian terminatrix and The Matrix is pretty much a transgender allegory amongst countless others.

The show since the reboot has always made attempts to normalise what society sees as different from a bisexual/pansexual Captain Jack  and so on, yet now people are getting pissed? It's like they've not watched the series at all.

The doctor is a non binary alien with two hearts who in their next incarnation will be presenting as female.

I've got high hopes that this change will highlight the predujice that people seemingly hold with both gender and those who change theirs, helping to make things more accepting. However I dare to dream the impossible.

Let's see what Jodie brings to Dr. Who

20 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I immediately thought of Ecclestone when I read that bit too!

Come to think of it, the most telling part of his comment is actually "I don't watch it".

I'd prefer it if they had just said nothing and let the regeneration be a surprise. Mainly because my husband is a ridiculously massive fan and I cant stand it and now have 5 months of commentary on it to look forward to.

Lovely idea in theory, pretty much impossible in practice as far as I can see. Stuff like this tends to leak, so it's more about controlling how your information is released for the BBC. Sometimes it's done well, like the Matt Smith reveal. Sometimes it's not done quite as well, like the John Simm one earlier this year.

I've watched approximately one episode of Dr. Who in my lifetime, but seeing the tears and shitfits of MRA types like The Duke on social media has been absolutely marvellous.

Yours sincerely, 

A trans binary or some bollocks like that.

Where were these tantrums after the recent episode where the Doctor revealed(?) that he'd been a woman before? If all these people are concerned about the integrity of the character, etc, then surely it bothered them when they first found out he hadn't always been male? To kick off so strongly about it now only suggests they'd rather not watch a female-led drama on Saturday nights, regardless of what it is.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

Come to think of it, the most telling part of his comment is actually "I don't watch it".

You mean the one-season wonder who did his shift and refuses to return? Plus he may have been born working class but it's thoroughly debatable he is now. He's hardly balancing his time between doing TV, Movies and a shift in the mines.

(Eccleston btw, it just didn't quote that bit)

In regards to not watching it, as I stated I did in what I'd say was it's most popular incarnation with Tennent, but stopped because it's just not a good show.

Edited by FelatioLips

2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

You mean the one-season wonder who did his shift and refuses to return? Plus he may have been born working class but it's thoroughly debatable he is now. He's hardly balancing his time between doing TV, Movies and a shift in the mines.

(Eccleston btw, it just didn't quote that bit)

In regards to not watching it, as I stated I did in what I'd say was it's most popular incarnation with Tennent, but stopped because it's just not a good show.

Fine, you're a lapsed fan then, rather than someone who's never watched. I can see how the last few series might have put some people off so you won't be alone in that opinion.

I think you're setting a really high bar for 'working class actor' there, though. If anything, Whittaker has the joint best credentials on that front alongside Eccleston. Not that it should be important anyway. You probably switched off because of the quality (or lack thereof) of scripts and performances, and that's what will determine the success of the next era too. In that respect, I might add, I'm not yet totally sold on Chris Chibnall as showrunner.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, sj5522 said:

I've watched approximately one episode of Dr. Who in my lifetime, but seeing the tears and shitfits of MRA types like The Duke on social media has been absolutely marvellous.

Yours sincerely, 

A trans binary or some bollocks like that.

Basically, the same — watched a few Ecclestone episodes when it first started back, but Billie Piper was still in it when I stopped watching. It's just piss funny to see some of the whining.