What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

It's pretty incredible just how hard and fast the bubble burst. In their heyday, the franchise was making millions, had huge audiences, and was the backbone of not just an entire channel, but a channel that was doing really well because of it. There were live shows every couple of months, in 3 hour stints over 5, 6, or 7 nights of the week, and it was constantly expanding into spin-offs and other ventures.

Now it's tucked away on some little network, with zero budget, and nobody giving a shit. It's hard to think of a bigger crash-and-burn, outside of actual businesses. To go away and not return is one thing, but this must seem like they're back to busking after years of big arena tours.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

I bought and read Astro's book for my summer holiday, and can thoroughly recommend it.  I think non-fiction might be your forté Woy.  I'm hoping you'll do a Fortean one next.  Or one about Nazi bears.  I'll buy you a potato if you do.

• Paid Members

I thought of something fortean a while back that you'd be ideal for, and then completely forgot what it was.

I don't think it was even Spring Heeled Jack, which is something I've wanted someone to do a proper book on for years.

• Moderators

I bought and read Astro's book for my summer holiday, and can thoroughly recommend it.  I think non-fiction might be your forté Woy.  I'm hoping you'll do a Fortean one next.  Or one about Nazi bears.

Cheers. The next one's not really Fortean, unless you count Zack Morris' ability to freeze time.

I thought of something fortean a while back that you'd be ideal for, and then completely forgot what it was.

I don't think it was even Spring Heeled Jack, which is something I've wanted someone to do a proper book on for years.

I love Spring Heeled Jack, but the definitive book's already been written. At least, the definitive picking apart of the legend. It's available as a free PDF here.

• Awards Moderator

Thanks for the Spring-Heeled Jack link, Astro, I'll have to give that a read. I've been fascinated by him for years and loved reading the different stories and coming up with my own twists on them in a failed creative attempt to adapt the story myself, so a comprehensive looking study like that will be a brilliant read.

• Paid Members

Anyone been watching the current series of South Park? I don't think I'll ever be able to hear a Lorde song the same way again...

Ive only watched the first episode so far, got the second one to watch tonight. I loved Cartman's speeches at the Washington Redskins presentations in the first episode! Cartman is just the best.

• Paid Members

I love Spring Heeled Jack, but the definitive book's already been written. At least, the definitive picking apart of the legend. It's available as a free PDF here.

Cheers. That's tomorrow's commute sorted out.

• Paid Members

Dave's showing a series called Game of Arms about team arm wrestling meets. It's a mix of the UFC Prime Time series, the IFL concept and the fight club bits in Fight Club. It's pretty much "build a bunch of personalities up, then have them compete" so I can't see why any pro wrestling fan wouldn't like it.

I assume it's all legit (though possibly shown out of sequence) but the series of bouts at the end of first episode make for perfect drama and climax.