UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

According to Bruce Prichard the original gimmick was designed to be a famous Portuguese football player.  I think he said they even got as far as filming vignettes for it before someone realised it was a shit idea and canned the whole thing not long before he debuted.  The Portugal references were a carry over from that.

• Paid Members

What was the reasoning behind calling Justin Credible/Aldo Montoya a 'Portuguese man of war' and specifically referring to Portugal on commentary and on his tights?

As in, what was it about Portugal that was supposed to get him over?

I'm very confused.

Just a play on the name of this thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_o'_war

• Paid Members

According to Bruce Prichard the original gimmick was designed to be a famous Portuguese football player.  I think he said they even got as far as filming vignettes for it before someone realised it was a shit idea and canned the whole thing not long before he debuted.  The Portugal references were a carry over from that.

Probably all started when Major League Soccer started in 1994 or 95 and got hot for a while, then cooled, then went hot again, then cooled, then went hot again.

PJ Walker (Justin Credible, Aldo Montoya) was the stunt dummy of the WWF. Trying out moves. He'd have taken anything they'd have given them (oo-er in so many ways). If he cooled his substance abuse issues, he could have been there for life.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend any good books covering the early history of pro wrestling? I'm in the process of doing the research/prep for a project I'm working on about the history and evolution of the steel cage match, but drawing a blank on books that cover much pre-1960. 

Can anyone recommend any good books covering the early history of pro wrestling? I'm in the process of doing the research/prep for a project I'm working on about the history and evolution of the steel cage match, but drawing a blank on books that cover much pre-1960. 

For anything history related I always say Capitol Revolution, loved that book.

There is also the NWA Untold Story book which I found to be a bit of a slog if I'm honest but if you want detail that is your book.

I'd like to start buying more wrestling shirts, NJPW stuff mainly but all promotions are welcome, what uk website is the easiest to order from?

NJPW Europe is the only place I know really, just hope and pray they A. Get your order correct and B. it arrives before you die.

Other than that, knock off on Ebay.

• Paid Members

For anything history related I always say Capitol Revolution, loved that book.

There is also the NWA Untold Story book which I found to be a bit of a slog if I'm honest but if you want detail that is your book.

Cheers, will give those two a look!

I'd like to start buying more wrestling shirts, NJPW stuff mainly but all promotions are welcome, what uk website is the easiest to order from?

NJPW Europe is the only place I know really, just hope and pray they A. Get your order correct and B. it arrives before you die.

Other than that, knock off on Ebay.

Decided to go with a knock off for now, NJPW Europe hardly had any tshirts. Thanks

• Paid Members

Fall Guys is great (if biased) for the 20s/30s stuff:

http://www.prowrestlingbooks.com/fall-guys-by-marcus-griffin/