The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

Bringing this one over from On-Topic as the conversation is more suited to this topic instead...

Why would anyone want to cover up that the world is flat?

Another good question. What is the common answer given by the people who believe this?

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

Bringing this one over from On-Topic as the conversation is more suited to this topic instead...

Another good question. What is the common answer given by the people who believe this?

Government in the pockets of wealthy globe manufacturers.

I can't find a solid stance on this.

Some don't think they are hiding it, they are just "wrong". Others apparently think Governments/NASA are making up stuff they do in space, but won't really elaborate on why that is.

Even if there were no photos of the earth, I'd be convinced by the millions of photos of all the other planets in our solar system. If you study them hard enough, you see a pattern emerge in their shapes.

Funny thing with that is, if you study all the planets hard enough you should be able to tell that Earth is pretty fucking different every other planet we have discovered so far. Our planet supports life, which makes Earth very very very different from other planets.

The ability to support life has absolutely nothing to do with the definition of a planet.

There are quite a few different opinions on this. I think it is related to the moon landing. The best way to see the shape of the earth is to pop up to space and have a look at it. Well what if America and Russia didn't go to space when they said they did? They told a lie and now they need to tell another lie to cover that up.

Even if there were no photos of the earth, I'd be convinced by the millions of photos of all the other planets in our solar system. If you study them hard enough, you see a pattern emerge in their shapes.

Funny thing with that is, if you study all the planets hard enough you should be able to tell that Earth is pretty fucking different every other planet we have discovered so far. Our planet supports life, which makes Earth very very very different from other planets.

The ability to support life has absolutely nothing to do with the definition of a planet.

No but it is pretty solid evidence that our planet is different from other planets, therefore we can't just point at other planets to determine the shape of ours

There are quite a few different opinions on this. I think it is related to the moon landing. The best way to see the shape of the earth is to pop up to space and have a look at it. Well what if America and Russia didn't go to space when they said they did? They told a lie and now they need to tell another lie to cover that up.

i'm not sure if its true, but somebody had stated that the cost of faking the moon landings, wouldnt be that fair off actually doing the moon landings anyway? IE, they still had to launch a rocket into space.

Edited by Mr.E

I can't really see how that could be true, but I doubt cost had anything to do with it and it was just a case of America and Russia racing to get there first. America drastically reduced their target dates once Russia said they were close. I think they got there like two years earlier than originally planned, that's just mental

Kat, are you on board with Moon Landings or do you think it was faked?

Personally, I think it did happen, (a decent telescope can show you the stuff still on the moon these days), and it just happened so quickly because they plowed everything into it.

The resurrection of the Flat Earth conspiracy was inevitable, given how anything that most people believe in now is just BLIND SHEEPLE FAKE NEWS, since Alex Jones took this kind of madness mainstream. 25 years ago, when I was first reading the Fortean Times, it genuinely was all on the fringes, left to a tiny percentage of bearded men in honest-to-god tinfoil hats, so it's crazy to see how big the disease of having to disbelieve in everything has gotten.

Now that we have a proper tin foiler as the President of the United States, do you think Trump would spill the beans on any conspiracies he learned to be true as a result of his now theoretically-limitless security clearance?

He's derided the CIA as being the same people who said there were WMDs in Iraq, and he said that creepy thing to O'Reilly about the US having "killers" comparable to Putin in its government. It seems if FEMA were building death camps or planes were spraying gay viruses on to us from above or the Earth was actually flat Trump would likely now be aware of it, and mightn't be too discreet about it.

If we make it to the end of the Trump presidency without him tweeting that Icke was right about the Queen - does that mean there wasn't much being hidden from us in the first place, or have they got to Trump?

• Paid Members

I can't really see how that could be true, but I doubt cost had anything to do with it and it was just a case of America and Russia racing to get there first. America drastically reduced their target dates once Russia said they were close. I think they got there like two years earlier than originally planned, that's just mental

The timeline for the moon landings is fascinating. It was only 60 years from the Wright Brothers first flight to us getting a man into space. Another 8 years from that we got the moon landing (and Concord, which still hasn't be matched!) then 3 years after that we just packed in that side of stuff.

Obviously cost is a huge part of it but progression just seemed to grind to a halt. I want my Total Recall trip to Mars!

No but it is pretty solid evidence that our planet is different from other planets, therefore we can't just point at other planets to determine the shape of ours

Yes, we can. Planets are spherical. You may argue that earth isn't a planet if you wish, but you can't say you've discovered a flat planet without redefining what a planet is. And if you want to argue that Earth isn't a planet, you'd better have an astrophysics degree.

Edited by King Coconut

Yes, we can. Planets are spherical. You may argue that earth isn't a planet if you wish, but you can't say you've discovered a flat planet without redefining what a planet is. And if you want to argue that Earth isn't a planet, you'd better have an astrophysics degree.

That's the mad thing about all of these theories. Very clever people spend their whole lives researching this stuff. For people who've watched some Youtube videos to say that they're all either wrong or lying about something as fundamental as the shape of the Earth is hubris beyond parody.

That isn't to say that the chance that they're all either wrong or lying is literally zero, but you better have some special insight to make such a huge claim. A few hours' Googling doesn't qualify.