The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

There's loads of real photos of earth. We live in an age where you can stick a go pro on a weather balloon and take your own. There's been live streams from the ISS. There's no doubt that NASA edit photos. Anything from tarting up the saturation and sharpness to cloning out locations and editing sections for whatever reasons they feel but to say there are no real ones is silly. There is a lack of coverage of the poles though. There are photos of them, just not masses.

• Moderators

The resurrection of the Flat Earth conspiracy was inevitable, given how anything that most people believe in now is just BLIND SHEEPLE FAKE NEWS, since Alex Jones took this kind of madness mainstream. 25 years ago, when I was first reading the Fortean Times, it genuinely was all on the fringes, left to a tiny percentage of bearded men in honest-to-god tinfoil hats, so it's crazy to see how big the disease of having to disbelieve in everything has gotten. The echo chambers of Twitter, reddit and Youtube, and people with nothing to do but kill time at their keyboards all day, accelerated everything on such a massive scale over the last few years, I'm sure we all know a decent chunk of people in our real lives who believe that 911 was an inside job, or various mass shootings were false flags. And now there's rappers and athletes, and AJ Styles thinking there might be something in it.

Assuming we aren't just radiactive skeletons by then, I do wonder how we'll be looked back on by people of the future. This chunk of history will probably be remembered as the 'Age of the Gullible', like how it's weird to us now how Ouija boards were the main form of family entertainment for about 100 years by them ghost-obsessed dummies from the olden times.

I'm hoping Hollow Earth theory is next to make a comeback, because that's way more fun. The reason there are 'no photos' of the poles? To hide the entrances for the Nazi UFOs that live inside the planet.

• Paid Members

NASA have at least 3. One from the ATS-3 in 1967, the blue marble and they released another in 2015. The blue marble is the only one taken by a person though, I think. The Japanese have taken at least two, one from Hayabusha and another from Himawari8

• Paid Members

Wasn't a satellite launched recently that has started taking full pics of Earth?

From what I remember it's centered on the US takes a phot of that as a continent every 5 mins, and every 15 takes a full picture of the Earth.

Tim Peake's effort, although not full Earth is a cracking picture.

• Paid Members

David Icke did a thing at the Apollo in Manchester a few weeks back, some kind of lunchtime affair. Everybody piled out of there straight into the McDonald's up the road. All glued to their top of the line smartphones the whole way up and my only thought was "way to smash the system, lads."

Even if there were no photos of the earth, I'd be convinced by the millions of photos of all the other planets in our solar system. If you study them hard enough, you see a pattern emerge in their shapes.

Funny thing with that is, if you study all the planets hard enough you should be able to tell that Earth is pretty fucking different every other planet we have discovered so far. Our planet supports life, which makes Earth very very very different from other planets.

Well science has found planets which might be able to support life, but there is nothing concrete yet. Just pointing out it's absurd to call our planet the same as all the other ones around us, clearly ours is extremly different

Planets are detected by taking photos of tiny dots of light, then noticing when even smaller dots of black block it out as they are in orbit. Would be really difficult to detect a disc

List all the things we have in common with Jupiter other than both being round

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Well science has found planets which might be able to support life, but there is nothing concrete yet. Just pointing out it's absurd to call our planet the same as all the other ones around us, clearly ours is extremly different

Yes ours is clearly flat.

Seriously though, I have no idea what the "flat earthers" are thinking. Apparently the sky is a "dome" over ther flat earth, whilst the sun operates as a spotlight (to explain why people have night and day). There's some sort of disagreement about the amount of stars in space as well, as "if there were bilions, the night sky wouldn't be black, it'd be pure light".

In other real, non-fake-non-alternative-fact news: Nasa has found a bunch of earth sized planets

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-telescope-reveals-largest-batch-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around

Seriously though, I have no idea what the "flat earthers" are thinking. Apparently the sky is a "dome" over ther flat earth, whilst the sun operates as a spotlight (to explain why people have night and day).

So we're essentially a snow globe beneath a massive Luxo lamp which someone is turning on & off

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Seriously though, I have no idea what the "flat earthers" are thinking. Apparently the sky is a "dome" over ther flat earth, whilst the sun operates as a spotlight (to explain why people have night and day).

So we're essentially a snow globe beneath a massive Luxo lamp which someone is turning on & off

As that makes about as much actual sense as the flat earth idea itself.......yes that's exactly it.