The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

Sorry for not knowing the correct terminology, but have there ever been two orbits timed, one a set distance from one pole and another the same distance from the other? Or are orbits possible only around the full circumference? Surely the orbit nearer the south pole being the same duration as the one the same distance from the north disproves flat earth theory? Or do they have an explanation for that?

Brief Q & A I found of common things asked to Flat-Earthers and their general responses:

(Spoilered for size)

Q: "Why do you guys believe the Earth is flat?"
A: Well, it looks that way up close. Also, because God tells us!

Q: "What is underneath the Earth?"
A: This is unknown. Most FE proponents believe that it is generally composed of rocks.

Q: "Why aren't people falling off the edge of the Earth?"
A: Antarctica forms the edge of the Earth, and at the very rim there is a giant, impenetrable wall of ice.

Q: "If the Earth is flat, how can people travel all the way around the Earth in one direction and return to the same place?"
A: In the model currently accepted by Flat Earthers, the North Pole is located at the very center of the disc, and all cardinal directions are relative to it. Thus, circumnavigating the Earth simply means making a complete circle around the center of the disc.

Q: "If the Earth is flat, what about the Sun, the Moon and the stars in the sky? Or the sky itself?"
A: Flat Earthers generally assume the sky to be a dome that covers the entire Earth. Whether the Sun, the Moon or the stars are celestial objects in their own right or just projections on the dome is undetermined, but Flat Earthers do agree that the Sun is roughly six thousand miles above the surface of the Earth.

Q: "How are time zones possible on a flat Earth? Shouldn't the Sun be visible from every part of the world at all times?"
A: The Sun works like a spotlight, illuminating only some parts of the disc at one time, and rotates around the globe on the equator.

Q: "Doesn't our current understanding of gravity make a disc-shaped model of the Earth impossible?"
A: Flat Earthers generally either reject the idea of gravity as a scientific constant outright, or that gravity as we understand it is incorrect. Instead, the forces that keep people on the ground are either electromagnetic or g-forces.

Q: "How can satellites and GPS be explained by flat-thinkers?"
A: They are hung on balloons.

Q: "Aurora-Borealis OK but please explain the Aurora-Australis?"
A: They are projected holograms.

Q: "Explain annual meteor showers please?"
A: They are just fireworks.

Q: "Heard of Coriolis force?"
A: No

Q: "Why is the southern jet stream so similar to the northern one, speed and shapes?"
A: (No answer yet)

Q: "Is Space-Junk a myth?"
A: (No answer yet)

Q: "Isn't this an awful lot of mental hurdles to jump over just to insistently back up the idea of a disc-shaped Earth, when assuming a ball-shaped Earth answers all the above questions in a much simpler manner, and with much more scientific evidence to back it up?"
A: You tell me.

Taken from: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

• Moderators

Funnily enough, those answers are from the actual Flat Earth Society, who've been around forever, and were always generally suspected (or assumed) to be a tongue-in-cheek satire, along the lines of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Black People Love Us, existing solely to see if there was anyone stupid enough to believe them. Now it seems like enough people took them seriously that it's back to being an actual thing again. Or maybe it always was, and the assumption it was a parody was wrong.

There is the other theory, using the term advisedly, that my personal twatlist member David "Avocado" Wolfe subscribes to and that is the earth isn't flat, but saddle shaped.  But then he is a dangerous cunt and I hate him and his superfood mushrooms are from the sun facebook posting piss pipe ways

Yes, we can. Planets are spherical. You may argue that earth isn't a planet if you wish, but you can't say you've discovered a flat planet without redefining what a planet is. And if you want to argue that Earth isn't a planet, you'd better have an astrophysics degree.

That's the mad thing about all of these theories. Very clever people spend their whole lives researching this stuff. For people who've watched some Youtube videos to say that they're all either wrong or lying about something as fundamental as the shape of the Earth is hubris beyond parody.

That isn't to say that the chance that they're all either wrong or lying is literally zero, but you better have some special insight to make such a huge claim. A few hours' Googling doesn't qualify.

Key point you are missing is that I've spent a long time researching theories written by very clever people who spent their lives researching it. Experts aren't totally agreed upon that the earth is a sphere, some argue against it. Problem is not all of them will argue it because it's basically career suicide.

Who is going to take a scientist seriously after they write a paper about the earth being flat? They either think it's a sphere, flat or just stay out of it because they don't want to get involved. Some people think it's a pear shape, but they are just mental

I was only answering the point that scientists are in total agreement and only people who have watched a few YouTube videos think that it's flat. I'm fully aware that there probably isn't a single subject in the world that everyone agrees with

Yeah, absolutely. That's what drives scientific approach forward, even if it is to dispel theories.

Real reputable scientists are in total agreement that the world is not flat.

They also have suspicions that we do not live under a dome and a theory called gravity is beginning to be researched

Could you show me the papers signed by every reputable scientist in the world please?

Like I said it is a subject a lot of people steer clear of, because of the obvious backlash. I have the ability to openly talk about this due to my intense level of self worth

The Metro did an article on this, a publication which usually outshines wank rags like The Guardian

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/19/here-are-10-proofs-that-the-earth-is-actually-flat-not-round-6016710/

Edited by UK Kat Von D