General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
Turkey Shoot has been praised on here for years, ive gotta get around to seeing it. I've got Razorback somewhere.

any other decent movie related documentaries?

Overnight is a fantastic documentary if you haven't already seen it. About the guy who directed Boondock Saints.

• Moderators

If you like making-of stuff, the Devil's Rejects special edition has an incredible documentary following it from conception right the way through the entire shoot. It's two and a half hours long, and I've watched it a bunch of times, but it's probably more wannabe filmmaker viewing than something like Overnight, which has more of a narrative to it. There's a similar film about the making of From Dusk Til Dawn entitled Full Tilt Boogie, which is also great.

Herzog's My Best Fiend probably counts, about his crazy relationship with the utterly insane Klaus Kinski over the course of the films they shot together, and there's an infamous film about the making of Herzog's Fitzcarraldo titled Burned of Dreams, which chronicles one of the most batshit movie shoots of all time. Burden of Dreams makes a nice companion piece to the pretty similar one about the wacky Apocalypse Now shoot, Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse.

Not feeling the Batman one really. It'll probably be decent though, like the last 2.

I'm a little worried about Prometheus. There's something about the look and feel of what we're seeing in the trailers... Ridley Scott's scifi was always gritty, dystopian to an extent, dirty and slightly worn down - both the ships/locations and the characters. Everyone and everything in these trailers is so shiny. Prometheus looks like a Lamborghini crewed by the cast of 90210.

After the trailer played on Sunday, my wife said "meh", and pointed out that Ridley's not made a good film since Black Hawk Down. So I'm worried that this will actually be a bit of an anticlimax.

• Awards Moderator
Not feeling the Batman one really. It'll probably be decent though, like the last 2.

I'm a little worried about Prometheus. There's something about the look and feel of what we're seeing in the trailers... Ridley Scott's scifi was always gritty, dystopian to an extent, dirty and slightly worn down - both the ships/locations and the characters. Everyone and everything in these trailers is so shiny. Prometheus looks like a Lamborghini crewed by the cast of 90210.

After the trailer played on Sunday, my wife said "meh", and pointed out that Ridley's not made a good film since Black Hawk Down. So I'm worried that this will actually be a bit of an anticlimax.

In last month's Empire, Ridley (I think it was him) explained that the shininess is intentional, at least in terms of the ship itself - while the ship in Alien was a worn-out, crappy equivalent of a dumptruck, the Prometheus ship is a top-of-the-range ultra-modern scientific research ship and so would look more Lamborghini-esque in comparison. I suppose you could extend that to the people - geophysicists and professors and so on will naturally look a little less beaten-down than the more blue-collar crew in Alien.

If it's not to your tastes then it's not to your tastes, but it does at least appear to have been done for a reason...

That's cool if that's the case, but it's a bit of a pity as I think we all prefer Han Solo to Annakin, if you know what I mean. There were plenty of cool characters on the Nostromo, most of this crew look like a bunch of twats. I need someone to root for.

Disagree! :p I may be the only person in the world that likes Kingdom of Heaven, but American Gangster is quality depending on your tolerance levels of Russell Crowe. As others have already explained yeah its a research crew so is meant to be shiny and pretty. I'm well crazy for it, think it looks really amazing and the music is pretty intense! Can't wait.