General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

It's clearly taking itself very seriously. So it'll be scifi but without the big dollop of satire that Verhoeven always brings. Yet another film that absolutely didn't need to be made.

Double Post!

Has anyone seen any films by John Sayles? I've just been reading about Lone Star, which sounds all sorts of awesome, and it looks like he's made a series of outstanding Indie movies, none of which I've seen. Gladders?

• Paid Members

Lone Star is brilliant. Eight Men Out is even better and essential even if you don't like baseball (it's about the 1919 Black Sox Scandal). I haven't seen any of his other stuff, which I really should rectify.

• Paid Members
Double Post!

Has anyone seen any films by John Sayles? I've just been reading about Lone Star, which sounds all sorts of awesome, and it looks like he's made a series of outstanding Indie movies, none of which I've seen. Gladders?

Sayles was a go to guy for creature movies in the 70s and 80s. His most famous screenplay is probably The Howling but he did some cracking Tongue in cheek films ( The under rated Aligator) I wonder if it's the same guy?

Me too (well, Amazon Wishlist). I've just put in an Amazon order though, which means I probably won't get Lone Star for ages :( Most of his films get incredible reviews over on Rotten Tomato though, and he seems to cast really good character actors.

• Paid Members
Lone Star is brilliant. Eight Men Out is even better and essential even if you don't like baseball (it's about the 1919 Black Sox Scandal). I haven't seen any of his other stuff, which I really should rectify.

It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember loving Lone Star. Will have to give it another watch.

It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember loving Lone Star. Will have to give it another watch.

Lone Star is on this week! SUN 15 APR BBC2, 23:50

Result!

New Johnny-5 will be threatening

The thought of the director of Alvin And The Chipmunks and Hop reimagining cute, big-eyed robot Johnny 5 for a Short Circuit remake may leave you fearing the worst, but if Tim Hill’s interview with the LA Times is anything to go by, maybe he isn’t planning to make the movie into a cuddly, cheesy, kiddie-friendly romp.

“I’m tempted to go back and grab the original,” Hill admits, regarding the design of his robotic star, “but I think it has to be closer to what modern design actually is. There are computer models and labs developing real machines like this… You’ve got to find the balance between something fierce and something endearing. The original was cute. But no one was threatened by it.”

The new Johnny 5 will created from modern warfare technology, including unmanned drones.

“The thing that makes it so relevant is that we live in this age of robots, particularly when it comes to war,” Hill continues. “We have drones that do our fighting for us, do all these jobs men and women don’t want to do. And that’s what makes this so interesting; things like this moment in the story when Johnny realises he’s going to be disassembled and contemplates death, and whether it’s right to terminate someone else.”

Sin City 2 to start shooting this summer

A dame to kill

Edited by iamtheman