General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Videogame shadow of the colossus to be made into a movie

if anyone remembers the game this could be amazing. i'd rather just have a sequel on the newest consoles though

G.I Joe 2 moved from next month

won't come out till march so it can get converted into 3d. looks so much better than the first one especially with rock and bruce willis. poor performance of battle ship in americ blamed as that wasnt in 3d

Edited by iamtheman

Not too sure about this. It looks so different from the book. Seems to focus on the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy, whereas the book kept their interactions to a minimum and was much more about the relationship between Gatsby and Nick. From the trailer, it looks like Nicks role has been reduced significantly - he's hardly featured!

Not too sure about this. It looks so different from the book. Seems to focus on the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy, whereas the book kept their interactions to a minimum and was much more about the relationship between Gatsby and Nick. From the trailer, it looks like Nicks role has been reduced significantly - he's hardly featured!

I don't think you go to a film adaptation like this and expect it to follow the book though. I'm a fan of the book but I doubt the intention was to ever really be that close to it.

There probably won't be a Boddiker, Gladstone. This isn't going to be fun-violent 80s Verhoeven, it's going to be serious-business modern "thriller". Like they've done with Total Recall.

Instead of the scientists throwing a party for Robocop, there'll be lengthy angst-ridden debates over the ethical rights and wrongs of what they're doing, with sombre TDK music underneath to reinforce the srs nature of the film.

Instead of Boddiker saying "bitches, leave" your main bad guy will be some sort of hat-wearing social revolutionary who says things like "this whole SOCIETY is on trial".

Instead of the Boddiker saying "why don't you just fucking die" he'll say "I weep for you, Robocop, even as I put an end to your existence" to sombre music.

Nobody will "give the man a hand", or squeal "does it hurt", they'll say things like "you just shot a cop OMG" or "We have to take him out".

And, therefore, it will be utterly shite in comparison to the original.

Videogame shadow of the colossus to be made into a movie

if anyone remembers the game this could be amazing. i'd rather just have a sequel on the newest consoles though

G.I Joe 2 moved from next month

won't come out till march so it can get converted into 3d. looks so much better than the first one especially with rock and bruce willis. poor performance of battle ship in americ blamed as that wasnt in 3d

Bloody gutted. As a big lover of GI Joe, this looked fairly decent and it had The Rock and the really fit girl from Friday Night lights :( stupid lame 3D. A month before it was due for release, a month! Maybe its shit....and the test screenings were woeful..

Also, count me interested in a Shadow of the Colossus film! I have no idea how he'll do it, but I'll see it.

Edited by Cobra1000

• Paid Members
There probably won't be a Boddiker, Gladstone. This isn't going to be fun-violent 80s Verhoeven, it's going to be serious-business modern "thriller". Like they've done with Total Recall.

Instead of the scientists throwing a party for Robocop, there'll be lengthy angst-ridden debates over the ethical rights and wrongs of what they're doing, with sombre TDK music underneath to reinforce the srs nature of the film.

Instead of Boddiker saying "bitches, leave" your main bad guy will be some sort of hat-wearing social revolutionary who says things like "this whole SOCIETY is on trial".

Instead of the Boddiker saying "why don't you just fucking die" he'll say "I weep for you, Robocop, even as I put an end to your existence" to sombre music.

Nobody will "give the man a hand", or squeal "does it hurt", they'll say things like "you just shot a cop OMG" or "We have to take him out".

That eloquent rhetoric is worthy of $1, sir.

Hollywood execs go "I love Robocop, let's remake Robocop".

What they should think is "I love Robocop, let's make a scifi movie with Verhoeven". Total Recall and Robocop aren't great because of the stories, well that's not the main reason. It's what a director DOES with the setting, story and characters that makes films great.

Verhoeven never even got to do one sequel to Robocop, I think that's a real shame.

• Paid Members

Forgive me for not keeping up on this but I thought the Robocop remake was shelved due to MGM's recent financial issues? I remember Darren Aronofsky being signed on to direct at one point (although to be fair he's been signed on to direct everything in the last 5 years). Totally concur with Loki however, it'll never be what it could or should because times have changed so much.

I ll take that review of it right now. It's not even made. Superb post Loki!

• Paid Members

The Battleship thing was amusing - I went to see Cabin in the Woods last week, and there was a massive line for Battleship. However, The Avengers is so ingrained as the movie to see that everyone that wasn't in the line assumed they were going to see the bigger hit. Then, I discovered that two or three people in the line thought that too.