General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
British films are shit aren't they?

You're a complete idiot.

You definitely don't know me well enough to say that, you could say I have bad taste in films at a pinch but then that's totally subjective anyway.

To me that looks like a list of played out old "classics" and films I remember coming out that I have seen and didn't enjoy or don't appeal to me. And about 10-12 ones I like.

What you've done is taken a look at a list of films voted for by people that are clearly stupid enough to believe that The Inbetweeners Movie is one of the great British films of the last 60 years and decreed that this makes British cinema shit. Which, in my eyes, makes you almost worse than those people.

You then chuck out a phrase like "played out old classics", without actually bothering to name the offending films. Damning the entire cinematic output of a country based on this stupid list is really fucking idiotic. Even more so when you then reveal that you actually like about 20% of the films on it!

I stick by my original comment and in fact will sling in an "and total" somewhere in the middle.

• Awards Moderator
Quick tip

dont read the prometheus review on empire's website like i did

Is it spoiler-tastic or just a rotten review mate?

Bit of both, really - the reviewer seemed to want mainly to watch Alien again and that appears to be the crux of why he didn't like it. I'm regretting reading the review as well, two hours ago I was buzzing for the midnight show tomorrow night and now I'm going to have Whiny McFilmcritic in the back of my mind while I'm watching it.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
British films are shit aren't they?

You're a complete idiot.

You definitely don't know me well enough to say that, you could say I have bad taste in films at a pinch but then that's totally subjective anyway.

To me that looks like a list of played out old "classics" and films I remember coming out that I have seen and didn't enjoy or don't appeal to me. And about 10-12 ones I like.

What you've done is taken a look at a list of films voted for by people that are clearly stupid enough to believe that The Inbetweeners Movie is one of the great British films of the last 60 years and decreed that this makes British cinema shit. Which, in my eyes, makes you almost worse than those people.

You then chuck out a phrase like "played out old classics", without actually bothering to name the offending films. Damning the entire cinematic output of a country based on this stupid list is really fucking idiotic. Even more so when you then reveal that you actually like about 20% of the films on it!

I stick by my original comment and in fact will sling in an "and total" somewhere in the middle.

Fair enough man, it was a pretty shit list. I'm really not into British cinema though, doesn't mean I don't love movies and it certainly doesn't mean I'm a complete idiot.

• Paid Members

The fact that The Third Man (1949) isn't on that great British films countdown (let alone the top ten) tells you everything you need to know about these ridiculous fucking lists that pop up everywhere. They mean absolutely nothing, and anyone who takes anything from them is equally as moronic as the half brained fuck-wits that spew this regurgitated, 15th hand opinion horseshit to the masses.

• Paid Members
The fact that The Third Man (1949) isn't on that great British films countdown (let alone the top ten) tells you everything you need to know about these ridiculous fucking lists that pop up everywhere. They mean absolutely nothing, and anyone who takes anything from them is equally as moronic as the half brained fuck-wits that spew this regurgitated, 15th hand opinion horseshit to the masses.

Just had a quick scan through (so could have missed them) but no Brighton Rock, Oh What A Lovely War, Ice Cold In Alex or Lavender Hill Mob. Just another generic list with a few older films thrown in to make it look balanced

• Paid Members

I think like the albums poll this just covers the last 60 years, so The Third Man would miss out anyway, as would Brighton Rock.

That said, it's a list that still does British cinema little to no justice.

• Paid Members

Ah that makes more sense. Still a very poor list. No Peeping Tom, Witch finder General, Theater of Blood, Blow Up (which always makes these lists) orSchool for Scoundrels. Pretty sure all of those fit well within the time frame

It's not THAT bad a list, there are a lot of good films on there, and some of the more recent ones may well become solidified classics as the years go by.

It's hard to look past Laurence of Arabia as the greatest British film ever made, for me. I suppose Bridge is a close second. David Lean FTW.

No Peeping Tom in the list, which isn't surprising, but nice to see Don't Look Now on there!

• Paid Members
Don't know how many chaps here will be interested but the first
trailer came out today. I'm a bit of a Les Mis whore and from what you can see from the trailer, I'm quite excited for what Tom Hooper's done with it. Certainly looks very cinematic. Don't know how it'll catch on with people who aren't fussed about the show at all, but it could be an interesting one for next January.

That does look promising. No doubt Mrs. Lefty will be wanting to go see this, she is obsessed with Les Mis.

The thing with the film list is that it might also be more representative of what people just watch, their guilty pleasures that they watch when they're tired, depressed or ill rather than just films that they think are classics of cinema. I mean I love watching a cracking film but we all have some complete and utter shit films that we love for making us feel better when we broke up with Betty Watsits from the fish and chip shop. Some of the more questionable choices in that list do look like comfort films. I think that'd actually be a good set of lists to do, top twenty or so comfort films, songs, TV shows.