General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

He can still draw you a certain number (the last Terminator movie made around $440m), but films live & die based on their opening weekends now.

Unfortunately, The Guvornator is 69 years old and competing against established franchises like Fast & The Furious, a new Star Wars movie every year going forward and half a dozen Marvel/DC comic book movies each year. Their was that nostalgia with the first two Expendables movies, even though he had minor roles in them but even that couldn't stretch a third film. Even with the leak online a month before release, I still think that would have bombed.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Oh absolutely they were utter dross, but were pure escapism. The whole hook of it was "action, the way it used to be" like some roided up Yorkshire Tea advert

Expendables 4 should be Statham leading them against Brussels and the PC Brigade.  DJ Mike Read can do the theme song.

• Paid Members

They didn't. I mentioned at the time that they wanted an 80s action film vibe so they just hired the stars and didn't bother with a script. They should have chucked a few quid at Shane Black to write it and it would have been something special. 

Also l forgot all about that Conan film. Now I'm sad :( 

I can literally only remember one thing from the first two Expendables films, and I can't remember which it is from.

Theres a scene in which Stallone goes to an aeroplane hanger and sit in a plane to do some much needed reflection of some sort for some reason. As he is sat in the plane, Bruce Willis pops out from the cockpit. All I could think was "How long has he been sat there? He couldn't have known that Stallone was going to go there, he must have been sat there for weeks waiting for him to show up. And what if Stallone never went to the plane, how long was he planning on waiting for him?". 

Mans that's in the first few minutes of whichever one it was (I think was the second one)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I liked the first two Expendables films, they were good fun. I wasn't expecting anything amazing from them and they delivered about as much as I expected. I thought Dolph Lundgren came off best from them.

I've never been that arsed about Conan though, I also preferred Red Sonja.

• Paid Members

The downfall of the Conan project apparently draws closer the Twins sequel ... Triplets!

Esdie Murphy is on board to play the third bro.

I finally got around to watching Manchester by The Sea. Good lord what a chore that was, sod all happens and no character is in anyway appealing. Start to finish it's a consistent drag. My missus actually apologised as the credits rolled for suggesting it.

7 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

The downfall of the Conan project apparently draws closer the Twins sequel ... Triplets!

Esdie Murphy is on board to play the third bro.

I finally got around to watching Manchester by The Sea. Good lord what a chore that was, sod all happens and no character is in anyway appealing. Start to finish it's a consistent drag. My missus actually apologised as the credits rolled for suggesting it.

Did you have any prior knowledge of what it was about? What were you expecting? I don't think the characters are meant to be all that appealing especially the main character, he's not that way by choice.

I think it's a film that's not for everyone but I'd recommend it on performances alone. Still not watching it ever again though.