General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Denis Villeneuve won't put up with Leto's shite. He'll knock him into shape.

I'd urge anyone who has any doubts about Blade Runner 2049 to go and watch some of Villeneuve's early stuff. Aside from Maelstrom, it's all extraordinary. It's in the best hands around right now.

Not sure which of his films you are classing as his early stuff, but while I think Villeneuve is a good director who has made some interesting films, I wouldn't go as far as to call them extraordinary.

Maelström and Polytechnique aren't all that good at all. Prisoners is a great film and Incendies I did not think would be my kind of film, but ended up being a very good drama. Enemy and Sicario are good but nothing more.

• Paid Members

Branquey, I'm just glad I caught it in the cinema and got to hear that soundtrack in a theatre. What an experience, best film I saw last year.

Denis Villeneuve won't put up with Leto's shite. He'll knock him into shape.

I'd urge anyone who has any doubts about Blade Runner 2049 to go and watch some of Villeneuve's early stuff. Aside from Maelstrom, it's all extraordinary. It's in the best hands around right now.

Not sure which of his films you are classing as his early stuff, but while I think Villeneuve is a good director who has made some interesting films, I wouldn't go as far as to call them extraordinary.

Maelström and Polytechnique aren't all that good at all. Prisoners is a great film and Incendies I did not think would be my kind of film, but ended up being a very good drama. Enemy and Sicario are good but nothing more.

Earlier stuff, I meant, and I stand by all of them except Maelstrom.

• Paid Members

Goodfellas is shite.

I don't get it.

I don't think I can overstate the level of fury this gave me! How rude.

Anyway, I said to a fella at work that the one thing that gives me hope that the Blade Runner sequel won't be shit is the director. He was wondering why Ridley isn't doing it, but I'd be worried if he was with the ghost of Prometheus still in the mind.

• Paid Members

To be fair to Ridley, The Martian was great fun but for the most part of his career since about Black Rain he's been shite. I couldn't have been happier when it was announced Villeneuve was doing Blade Runner instead of Scott.

• Paid Members

Sicario in the flicks was an unreal experience.

The booming drums in the score when they're headed into 'The Beast ' was mind blowing.

I don't know how people disliked it. My pots were rinsed... absolutely rattled throughout.

Edit - Koeman out

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Are you looking forward to the sequel? I wasn't initially but with Brolin and Del Toro rehired, I am. I watched this guy who's directing it's film called Suburra last night and it was dead good so I am pretty hopeful.

• Awards Moderator

I enjoyed Sicario but wasn't overwhelmed by it. Mind, we watched it on a laptop with not very good volume with traffic noises in the background and had to put the subtitles on because we couldn't make out the dialogue so can't really say I got the full impression of the soundtrack.

To be fair to Ridley, The Martian was great fun but for the most part of his career since about Black Rain he's been shite. I couldn't have been happier when it was announced Villeneuve was doing Blade Runner instead of Scott.

Sure he has had his fair share of misfires - Hannibal etc but Gladiator, Matchstick Men & Black Hawk Down are all quality films.

• Paid Members

"A few", it's mostly misfires. In that 25 year period Devon is on about he made 16 films and about 4 of them are any good.

I always used to go out of my way to watch them too because he's the bloke that did Alien and Blade Runner, but Ridley has long since shown himself to be a bit rubbish. The Martian being his first good film in over 10 years too. Again, it's why I was very happy to read Denis Villeneuve is the man they've decided should direct the film. Denis Villeneuve is on an incredible run right now of making some great films with a bit of weight to them. Ridley, not so much.

Edited by ColinBollocks