General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

There's naff all social commentary in it. It was probably just the Mail looking for a comment baiting article. Its always good to have a miserable ending in a film now and again. The remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers obviously being the best

No love for The Mist (latest version) or The Long Good Friday?

• Paid Members

The ending of The Mist is hilarious (not in a good way). Long Good Friday is just amazing top to bottom but the ending of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is just utterly terrifying and horrible (in a good way).

• Paid Members

There was a lot of discussion about the ending of The Mist on here as well. Personally I thought it was absolutely dreadful and made absolutely no sense in the context of the rest of the film. It was just Frank Darabont wanting to do a downbeat ending for the sake of it. An ambiguous ending would have been much the better option and would have left things open for a sequel too. I'd enjoyed it until that point.

The ending of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is brilliant and made sense as well. Good to see that film become embraced in the last decade or so as the outright classic that it is.

• Paid Members

I liked The Mist but there's so much of it that, like you say, is Frank Darabont doing stuff because he can ( although it looks AMAZING in Black and white and really should have been released like that) Totally agree a more ambiguous ending would have made it great.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen it in black and white but I might give it a whirl soon.

A lot of people defend the ending by saying that Stephen King thought it was brilliant. This is the same Stephen King who thought The Shining was shit and tried and failed to make his own better version of The Shining. The bloke doesn't understand cinema at all.

Aside from Maximum Overdrive obvs.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah, I read it's for Justice League. Surely he's got to be on some kind of supplements for that? I go to the gym 3-4 times a week & am nowhere fucking near & he's got nearly 25 years on me. Fuck it, I'm getting on the juice.

• Paid Members

That'll be the next thing to get 'rebooted'

Rebooting isn't always a dirty word, What would be wrong with bringing back Popeye? He's a classic character. The great animator Genndy Tartakovsky was working on a Popeye film a couple of years ago and it looked brilliant (unfortunately it fell through).

I agree, but on occasion whenever a studio talks about something rebooted, it's basically an admission of not having any original ideas, case and point being Ghostbusters coming out next month. I'm not going to run it into the ground over the female cast or any of that nonsense, but Is the world really screaming out for a Ghostbusters movie in 2016? I was at the cinema the other night and there was a trailer for a film of Absolutely Fabulous, which looked ducking terrible by the way