General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

According to IMDB it's 2hrs 15mins. I know there is an extended version on the 2 Disc DVD and the 35th anniversary bluray which clocks at 2hr 26mins

Yeah there was a preview screening one that clocked another 20 minutes. They recorded and filmed 'Sinked the Bismark' for the country bunker scene. Got cut, never seen again. Plus some more minor bits and car chases.

• Paid Members

The Blues Brothers is a bloated mess of a film, there's no way it should be anywhere near as great as it is. I think it's just the sheer weight of talent involved, and the fact that it keeps stopping for great musical set pieces. There's a directors cut of 1941 that runs nearly 2 and half hours — that's unimaginable, I love that film too but I know it's a total shambles.

• Paid Members

Once Upon a Time in America lasted about 9 years when it was shown on Film Four.

When Channel 4 used to show it, they used to cut it into two parts and show it on consecutive nights. I love Sergio Leone but I could never go through that again.

Once Upon a Time in America lasted about 9 years when it was shown on Film Four.

When Channel 4 used to show it, they used to cut it into two parts and show it on consecutive nights. I love Sergio Leone but I could never go through that again.

I sat through all 4hrs of Gone With The Wind just to hear 'that' line, little did I realise it's virtually the last line in the dam film

• Paid Members

No comedy should ever be over 90 minutes really. If they can't tell the plot in 90 minutes in a comedy movie then there's too much plot and not enough jokes.

A vast majority of films should be no longer than 90 minutes long. This comes from the old days when I used to sell 2 movies for £5 on a 3 hour tape. If the were around 85 mins, you'd get trailers too!

It's the same thing that's happened with a lot of contemporary novels isn't it? It's the idea that being a certain length justifies the price and makes it more of an event. They pay no heed to whether it helps the pace or ruins the tension completely.

Although when it comes to superhero movies it's really only Dark Knight Rises and Batman vs Superman which have seemed like they went on forever, and that's because one involves an offensive extremely cynical plot and the other is just miserable and dull.

• Paid Members

Watched Eden Lake again last night. Still one of the most underated British horror films ever. I forgot how intense it is!

Also, anyone else on Letterboxd here?

Ther'es a Letterboxd thread on here somewhere, Gladders is on there.

I re-watched Eden Lake a few months ago. It's nasty and has the feel of one of those bleak 70s horror films but it's quite lazy in places. Wasn't there a backlash against it at the time for the way it portrayed the working class. #BrokenBritain 

• Paid Members

https://ukff.com/topic/131297-ukffs-letterboxd-directory/

There was a lot of discussion about Eden Lake on here a few years ago, a real mix of hate and love for it. I personally don't give a shit about whatever commentary it may or may not be on British society, I thought it was a cracking thriller with a splendidly horrible ending. I suspect though a rewatch wouldn't be too kind to it for me.

• Paid Members

There's naff all social commentary in it. It was probably just the Mail looking for a comment baiting article. Its always good to have a miserable ending in a film now and again. The remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers obviously being the best