General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

No comedy should be over 120 minutes. I notice "Trainwrecked", which premieres on Sky today, and stars John Cena, clocks in at two hours. Not on really.

Runs 2 hours, or is that the Sky slot?

Never mind looked online, 2 hours 9 minutes. Blimey

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I like Rudd, but he acts in some real dross. He makes a shit film watchable, but unfortunately that just means I end up watching some shit films.

He's definitely in the 'I Like Him/Her But They're Almost Never In Anything Good' category. See also - Anna Kendrick.

I watched Clueless the other day for the first time, that was the first film I'd seen him in that I liked.

• Paid Members

No comedy should be over 120 minutes. I notice "Trainwrecked", which premieres on Sky today, and stars John Cena, clocks in at two hours. Not on really.

Runs 2 hours, or is that the Sky slot?

Never mind looked online, 2 hours 9 minutes. Blimey

You could get away with only watching the first hour to be fair, you won't miss much after that. It peaks in the cinema with the Koko B. Ware reference.

• Paid Members

That's the exception rather than the rule though. There are certain genres where, generally, films are harmed by being too long and I think comedy and horror are the two most notable ones in that case.

The problem with Apatow's films is that they really don't need to be that long at all. There's so much unnecessary junk in Trainwreck that it could easily be eased down to at least an hour and 45 minutes and not suffer a jot. In fact, it would be a significantly better film.

But it's a general problem across cinema, I think. Films are so much longer these days. Look out how long these superhero films are these days. Wasn't the last Captain America one 2 hours and 20 minutes long? Watchmen was 3 hours long! Mainstream and Hollywood cinema has lost the art of telling a story in a compact running time.

There are exceptions, of course, but even the last Bond film clocked in about 2 and a quarter hours long and wasn't any the better for it. 

• Moderators

I'm sure there's plenty of other examples. Off the bat, both Ferris Bueller's Day off and Trading Places are 2 hrs long.

I saw a good graph the other day about average film times through the years, and what struck me is that the low end of the average was not as low as I thought it would be during the 80s and 90s. That said, films are undoubtedly longer on average these days (and the graph showed that), and they are worse for it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell