General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

In terms of comedy actresses there's probably no one better than Julia Louis-Dreyfus really. She's just spectacular. She knows how to get a laugh out of every single aspect of her performance. I can't think of anyone male or female who has been as consistently brilliant as her over such a long period of time.

Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth in Arrested Development also is one of the best performances by anyone in any comedy ever. She steals every scene she's in and she's usually surrounded by comedy heavyweights like Jeffrey Tambor too. She makes it look effortless.

Melissa McCarthy is fucking shite though.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Moderators

If that's a veiled criticism about me, I won't hear it and I won't respond to it.

A bit off topic again, but I've been rewatching Arrested Season 4 again recently, for the first time since its release, and it is really good. I was a bit disappointed by it the first time around (I think it was the years and years of anticipation and expectation) but I am loving it this time.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

In defence of my defence of Melissa McCarthy, I should point out that I have only seen her in all of Paul Feig's films, all of which I've really enjoyed. I haven't been exposed to the several apparently terrible films she's done (The Boss looks fucking abysmal as well), so my view of her might be skewed.

That said, if people actually watched Bridesmaids, The Heat and Spy closely, they'd see that the criticism that she only ever does 'fat comedy' is way off. If someone wants to point out a single fat joke she does in any of those films, I'll gladly respond. But I don't think you'll find one.

I can certainly understand why people wouldn't like her though, she's very much affected a persona that is a love / hate thing. But I do think her career has been misunderstood and been victim of lazy criticism from people who have formulated their opinion before they've actually watched any of her stuff.

On Amy Schumer, I thought she was excellent in Trainwreck, it was a really confident debut. The only disappointment with that film is that the last half an hour is awful and she's working with Judd Apatow, who is fucking dreadful and has apparently never met an editor. She's an absolutely excellent stand-up, I think - Mostly Sex Stuff is a terrific show. But she's got serious talent as an actor, I reckon.

On Sarah Millican, she's about as funny as accidentally sitting on a bollock.

My list from earlier by the way wasn't a list of who I liked exactly, just who have garnered success in comedy. Apart from his Mum. She was shit.

With Sarah Millican, I find her funny in small doses (like on panel shows for example). I don't think I could watch an entire show of just her though. Same with Jo Brand in that respect.

• Paid Members

Devon, that's been a prob I've had with Apatow for a long time - his films have plenty of bright spots, but are almost always a half hour too long

This Is 40 is 2 and a quarter hours long. No comedy ever needs to be that long.

Trainwreck's main issues are that stupid scene with the cameos which is absolutely awful, and the terrible ending which completely flies in the face of what Schumer's character was meant to be.

That said, John Cena and LeBron James are so amazingly good in it that I can only have good memories of it. And I don't just mean good compared to what you expect from a wrestler and a sports star. But just genuinely actually good. James especially has got genuine potential as a comedy actor.