General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Echo the Sausage Party comment there. It looks brilliant!

Did you like Deadpool, Chest?

High Rise is supposed to be brilliant. The mate of mine who gets the screening tickets saw it and said it's a masterpiece, and he hates Ben Wheately movies, so make of that what you will.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Moderators

I really enjoyed it. It was silly without being corny, and funny without sacrificing the drama and tension from the action.

The action sequences feel coherent and not too over the top, which was a welcome change for comic book movies and there wee some really good laughs.

When he's bald and mutated he looks like Ted Danson.

• Awards Moderator

That's just brilliant!

I'd like to see Seven WOL'd up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrcmbq3CI2I&feature=youtu.be

Lovely! Excellent stuff. Brad Pitt's face as "here comes Johnny singing oldies-goldies..."

I was quite obsessed with this song as a kid so hearing it's cheesy organ blast cheers me right up.

• Paid Members

http://movieweb.com/star-wars-han-solo-movie-cast-shortlist-finalists/

Casting for the Han Solo spin off/origin movie is down to three potential candidates. Alden Ehrehreich , Jack Reynor or Taron Egerton.

Can't say I'm familiar with any of them

Taron was excellent in The Kingsmen. He is also Eddie The Eagle in that new film and will be Robin Hood in a new film next year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

They're making a Goon 2.

I went into the first one thinking "Aww, for fucks sakes. Seann William Scott? This is going to be dripping fucking wank". And you know what it had loads of soul, a great story, tenderness and laughs. It's even a bit emotional at the end. It must be a Canadian comedy thing - this being full of warmth and heart, and the TPB boys also have a cameo. But as well as Seann William Scott's surprisingly awesome turn as Doug Glatt, it has one of my favourite turns in any film from the always consistent Liev Shreiber as the aging gunslinger Ross "The Boss" Rhea. Just look at how amazing he is in this scene from the film.

Fucking chills!

It's a real shame that him appearing in the sequel makes no sense.  But Elisha Cuthbert's going to be in it which is probably a bit of a coup for a low budget Canadian feature. Jay Baruchel is making his debut as director too, having written and performed in the first one.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Fully agree with Butcher! I absolutely love Goon and it’s probably my present day Caddyshack or Big Lebowski.

It’s so fucking full of heart and soul, and is ridiculously quotable.

I know Seann William Scott is an acquired taste, and one I happen to actually enjoy lolling on my tongue, but another good movie of his is ‘Just Before I Go’. Boy can act beyond saying “Cocksmoker” while wearing patterned shirts.

• Paid Members

Here's another recommendation for Goon Chest, it's great. I only watched it last year because it was number one on a list of underrated recent films. I really like Seann William Scott too but was put off by the fact that it's a sport film. It becomes apparent pretty quickly that it's more of a character piece and you don't need to know about hockey. It's one of Liev Schrieber's best performances too and he's always watchable.

It's also the only non horror film I've seen my girlfriend have to cover her eyes while watching because of graphic violence, I bet you weren't expecting that.

While I'm talking about Liev Schreiber,did anyone see that documentary years ago where he helped a wannabe film maker from a war torn country get a job working on one of his films and the guy turned out to be a completely ungrateful bastard? It's one of the craziest things I've seen, can't remember what it was called.

• Paid Members

I fucking love Seann William Scott, and fuck anyone who doesn't. The fact the guy has 2 n's in his first name is just brilliant to me.

His performance in American Pie 3 is so ridiculously over the top that I just crease up every time I watch it, and then there's the scene where he's chewing on the truffle shaped dog turd and he just ends the scene with "look man, I gotta go!" is just brilliant.

I love him in Richard Kelly's bat shit crazy 'Southland Tales' too.

I've been meaning to watch the goon for ages but just never get around to watching. I think I'm going to have to correct that now after everyone's comments in here. I knew it was supposed to be good, but it's just one of those movies that's slipped by.