General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

The Big L is one of the greatest, most quotable movies of all time and ā€œYou donā€™t go out looking for a job, dressed like that do you? On a weekday??ā€ is one of the best delivered lines in cinema history.

Millers Crossing is fucking wonderful and Iā€™m going to watch it again tonight coz itā€™s in my head now. I think the only Coen Brothers film I didnā€™t thoroughly enjoy in some form or other was Inside Llewyn Davis. Iā€™m obviously not intelligent enough to understand itā€™s ā€˜geniusā€™, but it can fuck off.

• Paid Members

The Big L is one of the greatest, most quotable movies of all time and ā€œYou donā€™t go out looking for a job, dressed like that do you? On a weekday??ā€ is one of the best delivered lines in cinema history.

Millers Crossing is fucking wonderful and Iā€™m going to watch it again tonight coz itā€™s in my head now. I think the only Coen Brothers film I didnā€™t thoroughly enjoy in some form or other was Inside Llewyn Davis. Iā€™m obviously not intelligent enough to understand itā€™s ā€˜geniusā€™, but it can fuck off.

Ā 

Ahh Branquey. Your taste in films is beyond impeachment. I quite liked Inside Llewyn Davis but found it ponderous and aimless at times. Baffled as to how it got so much acclaim though.

Ā 

I didn't like Intolerable Cruelty that much and I hated Burn After Reading, but those lads are good.

I lovedĀ Burn After Reading, only because whilst it seemed to be about not much, the little touches like the sex chair and the stuff the CIA guys are doing, really stood out and made me laugh maybe more that I was supposed too. Then again I like awkward films like that anyway hah.

• Paid Members

I hate Llewelyn Davis and a serious man. Hail Caesar was great. Raising Arizona, Fargo, O Brother where art thou, No country for old men, Big lebowski would be my top 5.

Ā 

The well received smart comedy I didn't get on with was The Royal Tenenbaums, I've tried but I'm just not into it.

Ā 

Anyway, actual movie news about a comedy everyone agrees is great, did you know a sequel to the Goon is coming out? Here's the first trailer

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edit* I like Burn after Reading as well, unless I'm forgetting something I think it's the only thing I've enjoyed Brad Pitt in.

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members

I'm with the great D-Mal here. Ponderous, aimless and dare I say, haughty.

You're a great man, Jenny, and a man on here I love, but we'll agree to disagree on Inside Llewyn Davis. I didn't know what to make of it. I thought I was watching a Paul Thomas Anderson movie that he lost interest in directing after a few minutes.

I've never seen Intolerable Cruelty so can't comment and I forgot all about Burn After Reading which the first time I saw it, I felt went to absolute shite after 30 minutes, but on subsequent viewings, I actually think it's alright.

Goodfellas is the big one with me and my mates though. Everyone I know thinks it's a masterclass, whereas after a rake of confused viewings, I still think it's absolutely shit.

• Awards Moderator

I'm with the great D-Mal here. Ponderous, aimless and dare I say, haughty.

You're a great man, Jenny, and a man on here I love, but we'll agree to disagree on Inside Llewyn Davis. I didn't know what to make of it. I thought I was watching a Paul Thomas Anderson movie that he lost interest in directing after a few minutes.

I've never seen Intolerable Cruelty so can't comment and I forgot all about Burn After Reading which the first time I saw it, I felt went to absolute shite after 30 minutes, but on subsequent viewings, I actually think it's alright.

Goodfellas is the big one with me and my mates though. Everyone I know thinks it's a masterclass, whereas after a rake of confused viewings, I still think it's absolutely shit.

We can agree to agree on Goodfellas instead, in that case. I've tried with it but I'm just not seeing what everyone else (except yourself as well, now) is seeing. Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Big Lebowski is tremendous. The mere fact that Devon had to come out of hiding just to assert this fact should tell you how true it is.

Ā 

However, the version of just dropped in played in the film is not the best one. There's another recording (Still Kenny, of course) with some fantastic guitar noodling. Worth finding if you like the song.

This one...

Ā 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U91M09X2sZE

Ā 

Wonderful version.

• Paid Members

Ā 

Continuing the PTA theme, I almost felt like Inherent Vice was a bit like his Llewyn Davis in that way. Another one I just don't get the total adulation for.

• Moderators

Ā 

Ā 

Big Lebowski is tremendous. The mere fact that Devon had to come out of hiding just to assert this fact should tell you how true it is.

Ā 

However, the version of just dropped in played in the film is not the best one. There's another recording (Still Kenny, of course) with some fantastic guitar noodling. Worth finding if you like the song.

This one...

Ā 

Ā 

Wonderful version.

Ah nice one mate. Couldn't find it and link it whilst at work.