Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Surprised there’s not a follow up, you’d think with all that Amazon money he’s been hoovering up it’d be in the works. 

There was a short-story follow-up called something like "How The Marquis Got His Coat Back", and he's been talking about writing a sequel for years - I think he actually is working on one now.

Posted

Yeah he's been writing one for a while now I think. It feels like with that world and the fact he's a way better writer now, a sequel to it would be ten times better and richer.

Posted (edited)

So George Lucas just ripped off Dune didn’t he? Even down to the shit names. Must say I am enjoying it though, mostly in anticipation to the film coming out this year but it’s a great world that’s painted. 
 

Got the God of War Audiobook lined you next which became an absolute must have once I learned that Alistair Duncan does the narration.

Edited by Mr_Danger
Posted
Just now, Mr_Danger said:

So George Lucas just ripped off Dune didn’t he? Even down to the shit names. Must say I am enjoying it though, mostly in anticipation to the film coming out this year but it’s a great world that’s painted. 

The John Carter of Mars series by William S Burroughs more like. Sword-fighting space hero with a warrior princess and a dog-like companion. They're seriously kitsch and pulpy, with a fight in just about every chapter, if I remember rightly, but it's much more in keeping with the Star Wars tone than the epic sweep of Dune, I think.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

The John Carter of Mars series by William S Burroughs more like. Sword-fighting space hero with a warrior princess and a dog-like companion. They're seriously kitsch and pulpy, with a fight in just about every chapter, if I remember rightly, but it's much more in keeping with the Star Wars tone than the epic sweep of Dune, I think.

I think that’s the reason the attempted film franchise tanked.

Edited by Mr_Danger
Posted
14 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I think that’s the reason the attempted film franchise tanked.

True, plus the stories might've been the forefather of all these big Saturday morning serials and franchises, but coming after those have already made it to the big screen made it look dated and derivative. I love those old stories though. Those and the old Conan and Solomon Kane comics remind me of rainy holidays at my grandparents caravan in Walton-on-the-Naze.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

 

Got the God of War Audiobook lined you next which became an absolute must have once I learned that Alistair Duncan does the narration.

Might be worth starting a thread to discuss it in. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I think that’s the reason the attempted film franchise tanked.

I'm taking this to be a slight on Taylor Kitsch, with which I fully agree. A charismaless vacuum in that film and everything else I've seen him in.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Posted
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I'm taking this to be a slight on Taylor Kitsch, with which I fully agree. A charismaless vacuum in that film and everything else I've seen him in.

I'll always have a soft spot for any one from Friday Night Lights but I do like to pretend some of their careers did not continue after the show. Taylor especially.

Posted

I just finished reading Megan Phelps-Roper’s memoir about her time in and subsequent leaving the Westboro Baptist Church. 
While it’s a good read about the inner workings of the church, she doesn’t half tip toe around saying anything bad about her family as to not ruffle too many feathers. 
 

One thing I did find very interesting is that I didn’t know before hand was that the grandad and founder, Fred Phelps, was originally a civil rights lawyer who helped black clients with racial discrimination cases. I wouldn’t have expected from him considering he hated everyone else (up until his final days anyway). He ended up getting disbarred, but still. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Read Hiro Matsuda's "autobiography" in two sittings yesterday - it's basically stories he told his daughter, that she then published in book form. Easy read, but I don't feel like I've gained anything from it.

Started on Helen Macdonald's new collection Vesper Flights and was holding back tears from the first short. Even though it's just talking about eggs. H Is For Hawk is one of my favourite books in years, and it looks like her writing in this one is at least up to the same standard.

Posted
22 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

So George Lucas just ripped off Dune didn’t he? Even down to the shit names

The giant Sandworm skeleton right at the beginning on Tatoine kida gives it away

  • Paid Members
Posted

Isn't it quite well established that Lucas ripped off multiple sources? The most famous example being that he used the narrative structure of Hidden Fortress.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Surely we're not saying he ripped them off? He's obviously influenced by a wide range of stuff (Flash Gordon, WWII films), but it's sufficiently different to all of those things to not be considered a rip off. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...