The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

But then this would constitute a mega thread. I can’t remember if I’m in favour of mega threads, if I am then can we close the audiobook one and incorporate it into here? It would make sense. 
If I’m against mega threads then please carry on with the new thread. 

Bloody hell, Keith - you've been sitting on the fence so long, you can't even get off it!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh. 

I've been waiting for this for years! Not as good as her first, but still some laugh out loud moments.

The section on the argument about bananas with her ex-husband had me literally in tears laughing. 

Although she doesn't directly say it, it appears her sister's death was from suicide, which is very sad to hear. It sounds like the last seven years have been very difficult for her - a possible cancer diagnosis, a divorce, her sister's death, and her parents splitting up. That's a lot. Her work continues to be brilliant, though. It's good to see her back.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Verso Books have a 40% sale off everything at the moment. Was wondering if any of you buy from there and have any recommendations.

I'm particularly interested in the climate crisis, Israel/Palestine, Islam, and alternatives to capitalism. 

Thanks

I've got some Verso titles, but they're old and none of them are in that sale, sadly.

That said, thanks for bringing it to my attention - I'm definitely interested in quite a few of those, particularly Insurgent EmpireThe Northern Question, and Critique Of Everyday Life. Might go on a bit of a splurge, especially as they're saying they've bundled the e-books with the physical copies.

Recursion by Blake Crouch

It's basically like the movie Primer, but with memories... I think. A proper mind-melting sci-fi/thriller which has Christopher Nolan all over it for the remake. Although Netflix have bought the rights and hired Shonda Rhimes and Matt Reeves to adapt it into a movie and multiple TV series. I'm hoping they don't dumb it down but wouldn't be surprised if they do a bit due to all the constant time line hopping.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Recursion by Blake Crouch

It's basically like the movie Primer, but with memories... I think. A proper mind-melting sci-fi/thriller which has Christopher Nolan all over it for the remake. Although Netflix have bought the rights and hired Shonda Rhimes and Matt Reeves to adapt it into a movie and multiple TV series. I'm hoping they don't dumb it down but wouldn't be surprised if they do a bit due to all the constant time line hopping.

Sounds really interesting, I'll give this a go.

I've just started the Rotherweird Trilogy.

Recently revisited Edgar Rice Burroughs first Tarzan novel. Obviously some of the attitudes are a bit iffy but it's a great tale.

• Paid Members
On 11/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, Just Some Guy said:

I've just started the Rotherweird Trilogy.

Let me know how you get on - I've read the lot and still can't figure out if I liked it!

I've just started on Unforgivable Blackness, a biography of Jack Johnson. The boxer, not the shit surf wanker singer. Only a chapter in, but it's good stuff so far. I know close to fuck all about boxing, but I'm trying to write a wrestling history at the moment and it started to become clear that I couldn't just gloss over turn of the century boxing in one or two statements as I'd planned to, I needed a firmer understanding of it to flesh out some parts of the narrative, and figured that a biography of an interesting key figure would be a better start than trying to swot up on names and dates. Was rewarded almost immediately when within the first chapter I was met with multiple anecdotes relating to Jack Curley, a promoter who features quite a bit in the early going of my writing.

10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Let me know how you get on - I've read the lot and still can't figure out if I liked it!

I've just started on Unforgivable Blackness, a biography of Jack Johnson. The boxer, not the shit surf wanker singer. Only a chapter in, but it's good stuff so far. I know close to fuck all about boxing, but I'm trying to write a wrestling history at the moment and it started to become clear that I couldn't just gloss over turn of the century boxing in one or two statements as I'd planned to, I needed a firmer understanding of it to flesh out some parts of the narrative, and figured that a biography of an interesting key figure would be a better start than trying to swot up on names and dates. Was rewarded almost immediately when within the first chapter I was met with multiple anecdotes relating to Jack Curley, a promoter who features quite a bit in the early going of my writing.

There's a fantastic Ken Burns documentary as well. Really worth your time.

Currently devouring Obama's latest memoir on the first half of his presidency. He writes well and reflects on key parts of his journey in depth to show his motivation.

It's good but as is always the case with political memoirs, the constant namedropping of irrelevant individuals gets a bit wearing.

4 democrats out of 5.