Mr_Danger Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 13 minutes ago, waters44 said: Any Audible users here? I’m tempted. I understand you get one book token a month - do you keep that book forever once you’ve used a token or is it only available for that one month? At the risk of Keith Montag bursting in here and burning all my audiobooks I can field this one. You get one book token a month and it can be exchanged for any book whether it be priced at £2 or £60. They have a no questions asked return policy so if you don’t like your book or you just want to abuse the system you can use it as a library and the return and credit happens almost instantly. Pay in for a few months and they make it very hard to leave because they keep giving you discounts or credits to stay. About every three months I’ll ‘cancel’ my sub and get stopped on the way out with another free month or three months half price etc.
Paid Members waters44 Posted September 22, 2020 Paid Members Posted September 22, 2020 Thank you @Mr_Danger Say I subscribe for 12 months and use 1 token per month will I end up with 12 audiobooks in the library that I can listen to whenever? Or can you only have one at a time?
Paid Members gmoney Posted September 22, 2020 Paid Members Posted September 22, 2020 12 Audiobooks you can keep forever. I only subbed years ago to get the Partridge autobiography and a couple of massive history books and I still have access to them in the app, and you can get them as MP3s as well if you wish.
Paid Members ElCece Posted September 22, 2020 Paid Members Posted September 22, 2020 I find audiobooks difficult to listen to, has anyone else had this problem? I usually listen to podcast at work, commuting or when I'm out with the animals but even the slightest amount of concentration and I lose the thread. Anyone else have that issue?
Mr_Danger Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 Oh and when you do return titles I think they stay on your device until deleted. Mythos is still on my old phone and I traded it over a year ago. Not sure if it blocks you when you go to play it or something.
Just Some Guy Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 1 hour ago, Carbomb said: I started that and lost momentum. It's not bad, just dense. A bit of a slog. I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point, though. Yeah, I've taken a break at the end of each third. I agree, the non-stop hard science is a bit much after a while.
Keith Houchen Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 Fucks sake. Anyone tried those moving picture books? I tried “The Shining” with Jack fucking Nicholson readings do doing the movement for the part of Jack Torrance. It was really good and a way to consume a book without reading. Think I’ll give a subscription to Netflix a go as they have these moving picture books.
Keith Houchen Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 “Currently reading”, not “Currently listening to” or “Currently watching” Audiobooks are utterly fantastic, great for long drives, but you don’t read them.
Keith Houchen Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 24 minutes ago, johnnyboy said: Listening to an unabridged audiobook is entirely different to watching a film adaptation on Netflix. People are discussing books in this thread. If you're excluding people who have absorbed the same text due to the delivery method purely due to pedantry then I'm sure you can petition a mod to change the thread title. It’s more I think Audiobooks have scope for discussion that books don’t, such as things like voice talent, production, comparisons with other versions etc. For the visually impaired, they’ve been wonderful and inclusive. I think it’s fair to say they’re a different medium to the printed book.
King Coconut Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 What if my girlfriend is reading to me?
wordsfromlee Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 Some of the books I’ve mentioned reading in this thread were actually audiobooks.
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted September 22, 2020 Moderators Posted September 22, 2020 3 hours ago, johnnyboy said: Listening to an unabridged audiobook is entirely different to watching a film adaptation on Netflix. People are discussing books in this thread. If you're excluding people who have absorbed the same text due to the delivery method purely due to pedantry then I'm sure you can petition a mod to change the thread title. I realise a new thread's already been started but when it's as simple as moving the first quotation mark one word to the right I think that could have been easily managed....
Keith Houchen Posted September 22, 2020 Posted September 22, 2020 But then this would constitute a mega thread. I can’t remember if I’m in favour of mega threads, if I am then can we close the audiobook one and incorporate it into here? It would make sense. If I’m against mega threads then please carry on with the new thread.
Recommended Posts