The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

13 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Any Audible users here? I’m tempted. I understand you get one book token a month - do you keep that book forever once you’ve used a token or is it only available for that one month? 

At the risk of Keith Montag bursting in here and burning all my audiobooks I can field this one.

You get one book token a month and it can be exchanged for any book whether it be priced at £2 or £60. They have a no questions asked return policy so if you don’t like your book or you just want to abuse the system you can use it as a library and the return and credit happens almost instantly. Pay in for a few months and they make it very hard to leave because they keep giving you discounts or credits to stay. About every three months I’ll ‘cancel’ my sub and get stopped on the way out with another free month or three months half price etc.

• Paid Members

I find audiobooks difficult to listen to, has anyone else had this problem? I usually listen to podcast at work, commuting or when I'm out with the animals but even the slightest amount of concentration  and I lose the thread.

Anyone else have that issue? 

Fucks sake. 

Anyone tried those moving picture books? I tried “The Shining” with Jack fucking Nicholson readings do doing the movement for the part of Jack Torrance. It was really good and a way to consume a book without reading. Think I’ll give a subscription to Netflix a go as they have these moving picture books. 

24 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Listening to an unabridged audiobook is entirely different to watching a film adaptation on Netflix.  People are discussing books in this thread.  If you're excluding people who have absorbed the same text due to the delivery method purely due to pedantry then I'm sure you can petition a mod to change the thread title.

It’s more I think Audiobooks have scope for discussion that books don’t, such as things like voice talent, production, comparisons with other versions etc. For the visually impaired, they’ve been wonderful and inclusive. I think it’s fair to say they’re a different medium to the printed book. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Listening to an unabridged audiobook is entirely different to watching a film adaptation on Netflix.  People are discussing books in this thread.  If you're excluding people who have absorbed the same text due to the delivery method purely due to pedantry then I'm sure you can petition a mod to change the thread title.

I realise a new thread's already been started but when it's as simple as moving the first quotation mark one word to the right I think that could have been easily managed....

But then this would constitute a mega thread. I can’t remember if I’m in favour of mega threads, if I am then can we close the audiobook one and incorporate it into here? It would make sense. 
If I’m against mega threads then please carry on with the new thread.