Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Do you specifically want something new Keith?  I picked up a 2010 Macbook on an eBay shop the other week for £220.  It runs the latest OS and works like a dream compared to the 2014 laptop I recently sold.

Wow, I'd heard you could get them a lot cheaper pre-owned but didn't realise they were that low. Great buy that mate. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you specifically want something new Keith?  I picked up a 2010 Macbook on an eBay shop the other week for £220.  It runs the latest OS and works like a dream compared to the 2014 laptop I recently sold.

Wow, I'd heard you could get them a lot cheaper pre-owned but didn't realise they were that low. Great buy that mate.

I've always used Macs so that's not a bad shout. Cheers, think I'll look on there

Can anyone recommend any free software to rip a DVDR onto the PC? Recently found a load of old music VHS tapes and there's some stuff on there that doesn't seem to exist on Youtube (live performances by dodgy mid-90s indie bands that hardly anyone remembers and stuff like that). I thought it'd be a fun project to upload them myself, then realised I don't know how to get stuff off a DVD onto the computer. If anyone has any advice on how to do that, it would be much appreciated!

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend any free software to rip a DVDR onto the PC? Recently found a load of old music VHS tapes and there's some stuff on there that doesn't seem to exist on Youtube (live performances by dodgy mid-90s indie bands that hardly anyone remembers and stuff like that). I thought it'd be a fun project to upload them myself, then realised I don't know how to get stuff off a DVD onto the computer. If anyone has any advice on how to do that, it would be much appreciated!

If it's ripping stuff off a DVD just put it into your computer. Explore the disc and find the largest files that end in .vob ( might have to go into your folder options and change it to 'view extension' to see what type of file they are.)

Copy that on to your computer and just rename it from a .vob to a .mpeg and you have a full copy of whatever is on the disc playable on a computer.

It will be a massive file so if you want to compress it just get handbrake or VLC.

• 2 weeks later...

I help do the media for a women's football club and I'm looking at getting a camcorder/camera for filming matches/interviews etc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend one which is good for filming sport but would be more of a budget friendly option as we don't look to have more than £200. Thank you for anyone who has any ideas for stuff like this as I'm a terrible example of a media student.

• Paid Members

I help do the media for a women's football club and I'm looking at getting a camcorder/camera for filming matches/interviews etc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend one which is good for filming sport but would be more of a budget friendly option as we don't look to have more than £200. Thank you for anyone who has any ideas for stuff like this as I'm a terrible example of a media student.

Get yourself to Currys and there's plenty of choice under £200. Stick to your Sony, Canon, Panasonic and you can't go much wrong.

If you're going to be doing interviews, consider one with a mic socket so that you use a tie-clip microphone to pick up your voice and not surrounding noise.

I imagine you could get yourself a decent mobile phone for the job. Even a quite cheap one handles full HD these days.

Mobile video is great, with the right hardware. Plus there are a load of attachments for smart phones. I'd give that a go if I was you.

Get yourself to Currys and there's plenty of choice under £200. Stick to your Sony, Canon, Panasonic and you can't go much wrong.

If you're going to be doing interviews, consider one with a mic socket so that you use a tie-clip microphone to pick up your voice and not surrounding noise.

Cheers for all your advice, much appreciated  :thumbsup:

I think you'll just do one of those awareness courses for doing that speed.

I wasn't so lucky when I was caught doing 73 in a 50 zone a few months after passing my test. 3 points and a £60 fine. Granted, it could have been much worse, but still not ideal.

Archived