Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cheers for that bud. I'll see what videos I can find.

Would you agree that C Major is the best harmonica to start with?

Yep. Mainly because the majority of learning material is based on a C major, but also it's a nice mid-point for learning to bend with.

Cheers for that bud. I'll see what videos I can find.

Would you agree that C Major is the best harmonica to start with?

Yep. Mainly because the majority of learning material is based on a C major, but also it's a nice mid-point for learning to bend with.

Just bought a Hohner Silver Star. I read it was a good beginners harp.

• Paid Members

You can't go much wrong with Hohner. I've got a Silver Star that someone bought me, but I haven't used it that much as I've got two others in C.

A lot of people recommend the Marine Band, which I thought was alright without being great. I mainly use Hohner Blues Harps and Pro Harps.

You can't go much wrong with Hohner. I've got a Silver Star that someone bought me, but I haven't used it that much as I've got two others in C.

A lot of people recommend the Marine Band, which I thought was alright without being great. I mainly use Hohner Blues Harps and Pro Harps.

I'm looking forward to getting started. I hope I can pick it up. I used to play the piano quite proficiently as a child and I've still got quite good musical timing. Hopefully that will help.

• Awards Moderator

How hard is it to learn the sax? I've always liked the idea of being able to do that.

I play sax and picked it up fairly quickly, but I had the advantage of already knowing how to read music. Once you know where all the buttons are it gets easier. I started with Alto and moved up to Tenor, but it depends on your lung capacity as to which one to start on. Just don't expect to sound like the guy on Baker Street or one of Springsteen's band without a hell of a lot of practice!

• Awards Moderator

Can you play baker street? How long was it until you could play baker street? It's clearly the important question here.

Just about, and it took fucking ages to figure out because I had to do it by ear. The problem with sax music is, unless you have a knack for learning by ear, it's hard to track down actual sax parts written down. You can usually get the melody of the song, but not what the sax would be doing in the background.

Archived