Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Sales are one of those things I'd like to try once just to see what it's like, but I'd never dream of doing it as a job because it's scummy as fuck.

All depends on the kind of sales and how you are pushed into doing it.. Business to business is normally better as working hours are generally 9-to-5, and it's not dealing with the general public as such. Some people flourish at it, some last an hour. It's one of those things that you don't know if your going to do well unless you give it a go.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sales are one of those things I'd like to try once just to see what it's like, but I'd never dream of doing it as a job because it's scummy as fuck.

Hmm. The old snakeoil salespeople and companies are still around and I'm not doubting they're the scummiest jobs going. They'll tell you anything to get the sale. But most people don't touch businesses like that with a 10 foot pole anymore. I know that's what you mean but it's not fair to tarnish every sales job with the same brush. I wouldn't go into an EE or Vodafone store and think the assistants were the scum of the earth because they were trying to sell me a higher priced contract than I'd had in mind.

Hmm. The old snakeoil salespeople and companies are still around and I'm not doubting they're the scummiest jobs going. They'll tell you anything to get the sale. But most people don't touch businesses like that with a 10 foot pole anymore. I know that's what you mean but it's not fair to tarnish every sales job with the same brush. I wouldn't go into an EE or Vodafone store and think the assistants were the scum of the earth because they were trying to sell me a higher priced contract than I'd had in mind.

Perhaps not, but I certainly think anyone who works in a Vodafone call centre sales team that phones me six times a day is the scum of the earth. And this might not necessarily apply to phone companies, but any job where your goal is essentially to ring up and con old/vulnerable/desperate/thick people so you can meet your targets is not good.

• Paid Members

I had a couple of brief ventures into sales. Hated it, but at the time I needed the work and they were the ones hiring.

One was an energy provider who had just been found guilty of mis-selling, others included these wretched hives of scum and more scum:

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(das-technology)_177294.htm

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Das-Technology/reviews?fcountry=GB

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(bpa-property-solutions-ltd)_488600.htm

• Paid Members

Just to point out, I work for a legitimate engineering publisher. We sell advertising to companies who advertise. Nothing scummy about it. I have in the past worked at a telecoms company cold calling about broadband, and it was pretty shifty.

If a consumer sales company is calling you several times a day, you need to specifically tell them to remove you from their call list. Hanging up or being rude feels good, but they'll end up getting the dialler to ring you back first thing on a Saturday morning just to piss you off.

Perhaps not, but I certainly think anyone who works in a Vodafone call centre sales team that phones me six times a day is the scum of the earth. And this might not necessarily apply to phone companies, but any job where your goal is essentially to ring up and con old/vulnerable/desperate/thick people so you can meet your targets is not good.

Totally, couldn't agree more. I've a personal hatred of the companies who prey on the vulnerable/aged/thick, or miss-sell their product or service to get a profit - I was just pointing out it's that it's not right to think that's what all sales jobs are like, as a lot of people seem to.

• Moderators

I used to work for a sale company selling "advertising" in what was essentially a magazine full f adverts no-one was ever going to read, under the faux-auspices of working for the emergency services. Left that after a day, especially after being encouraged to pretend to be calling "on behalf of the police".

Eventually the courts wound them up for being shifty bastards.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/wales/127240-court-winds-false-emergency-services-business/

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/company-that-claimed-non-existent-emergency-services-link-is-shut-down-in-the-public-interest

• Paid Members

I was reading an article recently that discussed the nature of sales, and the writer made a good point: there's a world of difference between the business of sales, which is necessary to all businesses, and what a lot of salespeople do, which is what most people think of as dodgy.

Ultimately, one needs to "do sales" and not "be sales-y".

• Paid Members

There clearly is, though. Otherwise we wouldn't have professional journalists. A friend of mine has been making decent coin in the BBC as a news researcher for the World Service, and is making even more now doing the same for BBC Singapore.

There's probably a shitload of competition for decently-paid roles in journalism, though, which is most likely the reason your colleague feels there's no money in it.

• Paid Members

Im 24 and a Sports Editor of a local paper. On 15k, outside the big guns there really isn't much money. I'm happy to be working really.

Sorry, I should've clarified: that's what I was referring to - once you get to the big outlets, then the money's really good.

I was reading an article recently that discussed the nature of sales, and the writer made a good point: there's a world of difference between the business of sales, which is necessary to all businesses, and what a lot of salespeople do, which is what most people think of as dodgy.

Ultimately, one needs to "do sales" and not "be sales-y".

When you do selling right it should be a win win but too often it's a one-sided transaction. People often see and think of wolf of wall street style selling with hype and bullying. At the very top end of selling this doesn't work. With high end sales it's more about qualifying than pitching and objection handling.

I could talk for hours on his as a love real selling but hate boiler rooms. Neil Rackham's Spin selling is a good book to read for people interested in a method for non salesy sales.

• Paid Members

Im 24 and a Sports Editor of a local paper. On 15k, outside the big guns there really isn't much money. I'm happy to be working really.

Sorry, I should've clarified: that's what I was referring to - once you get to the big outlets, then the money's really good.

Stating the obvious aren't we carbomb. That's the same in most fields no? It's liking being shocked your better paid in a supermarket then working the till in a newsagent

But in order to do that you'll need a masters (from City or somewhere else reputable) or an NCTJ qualification which in almost all cases means you have to stump up £10k up front, plus have excellent connections in the industry. On that front I think my own ship has sailed even having gone to a top uni, having a 2:1 and loads of extracurriculars plus holding down a researchers job for two years. In many ways journalism is harder to get into than politics.

Archived