Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've just bought a Kindle for my partner for Valentine's Day, and was wondering if you can Download books through torrent sites and put them on, or do they specifically have to bought throught the Amazon Kindle store? if i can download them through, do they have to be a certain type of file (pdf. etc?)

Give her a treat, hit up Amazon, and download some Millard onto that bad boy.

You'll be having rough arse-sex before the night is over.

I've got the pdf KOM, pm me.

• Paid Members
I've just bought a Kindle for my partner for Valentine's Day, and was wondering if you can Download books through torrent sites and put them on, or do they specifically have to bought throught the Amazon Kindle store? if i can download them through, do they have to be a certain type of file (pdf. etc?)

They have to be in the .mobi format. Torrent sites are chock full of them.

If you need to convert to .mobi then use the free ebook library manager called calibre - really good programme that's come on leaps and bounds in past 2 years.

• Paid Members

Shillard.

• Moderators

Shillard.

I just hate the idea of someone missing out on rough arse-sex, that's all.

I'm the new Mother Theresa imo

On this forum how do you put text inside a link? Like rather than posting a link and writing something underneath explaining what it is, the link itself explains what it is (if that makes sense...)

Further to the help given by our good friend Rosegarden, if you click the little box named

Alternatively to post a link like texty

You can click this button rte-link-button.png in the reply box, and then add link which you have to paste and then add the text you want to write, where it says 'please enter title for this item'

• Paid Members

If you need to convert to .mobi then use the free ebook library manager called calibre - really good programme that's come on leaps and bounds in past 2 years.

You'll also get an e-mail address with the Kindle, such as fredsmith@kindle.com. You can e-mail most types of file as an attachment to this address and it will convert it and add it to your Kindle. Just make sure that:

* You send it to fredsmith@free.kindle.com, which means it will go to your Kindle next time it's connected to WiFi and there'll be no charge. If you use just fredsmith@kindle.com, it'll go right away over 3G and you'll be charged.

* If you send a PDF, you need to write "Convert" in the subject line. Any other type of file (eg text or .doc) you can just e-mail with no subject line.

They don't necessarily have to be, Kindles can read PDFs as well, although it depends on the PDF because some of them will have embedded features that Kindle doesn't support.

The biggest problem I've found with reading PDFs on Kindle is text size. I had to switch to reading horizontally and "fit to width" as the text was too small on the default layout, I think because the PDFs were in A4.

Does that email auto-converter somehow resize text to fit the Kindle screen perfectly, or would it still be the same problem, just in .mobi format?

I've just done it. It resized perfectly, but the formatting went to shit. Pictures, page breaks etc were all over the shop.

It's only Millard's book, don't worry about the formatting too much, I'll probably only skimread it. Just bung it on the TWCF Share server as it is.

Ta.

Archived