Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Small anecdote about Khan. Years ago when I was working in pub sec, I was looking for things to giveaway to kids at an anti knife crime charity event. I rang his office, got through to his brother, and explained the situation. 

Amir was next to him, and I heard his brother tell him what it was about. His brother came back on the line and said “no problem”. Few days later, 2x signed pairs of gloves turned up in the post. The kind that get auctioned for thousands. Top lad. Always have love for him. 

• Paid Members

David your assessment of Khan is spot on. Has fought a who's who of fighters over the years and done lots for charity. 

The flip side of that though is that he didn't take the full 5 minutes to recover on Saturday before not continuing, so it looks like he quit. Then you factor in all the stick he dished out to Brook when Brook had to quit with broken eye sockets during fights and he isn't getting much sympathy from anyone. 

I can forgive the interview after the fight about "How he was just getting into the fight" That's the sort of delusion all fighters have to have. 

Where he goes from here I don't know. I can't imagine anyone is buying a PPV of him and Brook. 

As I've no doubt said to the point of nausea, I love how Khan brings out the no nothing boxing racists.  Every time he fights they say they hate him because he's so arrogant and just like Hamed.  Yeah, I suspect there is a certain connection with Hamed as to the root of your dislike of him and it isn't boxing styles.

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Every time he fights they say they hate him because he's so arrogant and just like Hamed.

Come on Keith, it's a valid point they make. In the same way as some people hate Barry McGuigan because he's just like Conor McGregor. 

22 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The flip side of that though is that he didn't take the full 5 minutes to recover on Saturday before not continuing, so it looks like he quit. Then you factor in all the stick he dished out to Brook when Brook had to quit with broken eye sockets during fights and he isn't getting much sympathy from anyone.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying Khan should get sympathy. Like all other boxers he knows the risks when he steps in the ring, and that kind of thing happening is par for the course in many ways.

It's not sympathy, it's the whole pile-on mentality, as though some fight fans and even media in the UK have been waiting on something like this so they can pounce on the arrogant Muslim, and slap him back into line.

It's bollocks (literally!). The guy got cracked in the balls and couldn't continue. We see it in MMA etc all the time and no one is calling those guys quitters or hoping the media "lambast" them.

26 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Where he goes from here I don't know. I can't imagine anyone is buying a PPV of him and Brook.

Have you seen half the shite that's been put on PPV here? Khan vs Brook is a good domestic level fight with some needle and two guys who are going to come in and throw until some fucker hits the floor.

If anything it's one of the more attractive UK fights we could see on PPV.

• Paid Members

I think Khan vs Brook will always sell due to the history and grudge there. It mightn’t be as good a fight as it would’ve been a few years ago but since when did that stop people buying a fight? Lewis vs Tyson would’ve been a better fight in 1992 but still sold a ton when they finally fought in 2002 when they were both finishing up. Mayweather vs Pacquiao would’ve been a better fight in 2009 but it still broke all the records when they finally met in 2015. Not comparing Khan and Brook to those names but a lot of combat sports fans buy fights based on names and grudges more than actual fight quality. If it was fight quality then Arturo Gatti would’ve been the PPV King forever. And if it was who’s at the top of their game at the moment then Lomachenko, Ward, the Klitschkos and even going all the way back to guys like Pernell Whittaker would’ve been killing it on PPV. Khan vs Brook won’t mean much internationally but it’s still a huge fight domestically and I actually don’t think Khan losing to Crawford or Brook looking a bit cack against Zerafa will hurt that much, if at all. Khan vs Brook has become its own thing beyond that. It won’t do Joshua numbers but it never would have. 

22 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He hit him in the leg. There is no debate there, that is just anatomy. People pile on because he won't admit that.

So, the guy who had no qualms about going in there with the likes of Canelo and getting sparked, not to mention who he's fought in the past, was looking for a way out in a fight where he'd looked to regained his senses and was doing not too badly? He was faking it then?

• Paid Members

I'm sure it hurt his leg. Khan gets paid no matter how it ends. I absolutely can't fault his guts in fighting all the people he fought, but Khan took an easier option on Saturday. I don't blame him but he had to expect the backlash. His choice was to take more of a beating in the ring or more of a beating in the media, he chose the latter. 

7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'm sure it hurt his leg. Khan gets paid no matter how it ends. I absolutely can't fault his guts in fighting all the people he fought, but Khan took an easier option on Saturday. I don't blame him but he had to expect the backlash. His choice was to take more of a beating in the ring or more of a beating in the media, he chose the latter. 

I'm guessing that the pundits and ex-boxers who were talking about how a shot like that can take your legs away were talking nonsense then? And Khan flat-out lying when he said he was pissing blood after the fight?

I agree with most of what David said, but the fact is Khan did quit, or his corner quit for him. I believe him and the team around him know he is fucked and shouldnt be fighting anymore and saw this as a way out where he could still hold his head up with the Brook fight still intact if he wants it. Even Andre Ward on commentary said that Virgil Hunter didnt want to see another brutal KO and would pull him out if things got tough.  I like Khan and has probably been one of Britains most exciting fighters ever, and while i agree and with all the stuff David mentioned about his fights and charity etc....it doesnt change the fact that it looked like Khan or his team got outer there while they could have carried on. 

Most people whonwatch boxing and follow it closely are not doubting Khans heart in previous fights, but this was dubious.  

Again, the absolute irony of a bunch of people who've never been punched in the balls by anyone, never mind a professional boxer, passing judgement on if Khan could continue or not. 

"Oh yeah, he could easily have continued, he quit, he got punched in the leg." 

We're talking about a guy who's been getting punched in the face since he was 11 years old, and who's been in the ring with some of the most accomplished fighters of this generation. He's been described in the past as being stupid levels of tough, taking fights he had little chance of winning, getting up off the floor when he'd have been better served staying down.

And yet he decided to quit from a fake groin shot in a fight where he'd already been down but managed to recover? Yeah, sounds about right 😂

It's easy to grab a screen shot of something like that to back up a viewpoint, as the image below taken further down the line shows a different angle from the one you've posted there.

It's a groin shot, look at the angle that Crawford is coming in at, and the force he's using. He's looking to throw a body shot with the usual dig from the hips that boxers do, and when that force misses and cracks you in the groin area you're going to feel that shit.

A shot like that doesn't have to hit you directly on the balls to put you out. Sometimes the glancing shots are the worst.

I've seen guys dropped from that kind of shot in MMA, where an elbow, fist or knee catches you right on the edge of your cup and causes all manner of chaos for your junk.

c4918316-00e8-41e8-b23f-1846012011f6-ori

If we're claiming that Khan was looking for a way out, then we're also calling him a straight-up liar when he claimed that he was pissing blood later due to the punch. 

Considering his track record of being stupid tough in fights, I don't see it. He didn't look for a way out when Canelo was crushing him and looked like he could seriously hurt him, so I don't see him looking for a way out in a fight he was doing okay in after he survived an early onslaught.

If anything he could have just dropped the next time a halfway solid shot caught him and stayed down. 

Aside from all of that, he's a professional fucking boxer. He's not some shcmuck pretending to be hurt so the bullies in school will leave him alone. We're talking about a guy who went all the way to the Olympics, who's been knocked out, who's won world titles. 

As I said, the fact that this is even being discussed by mainly out of shape men who wouldn't even know how to put on a groin guard, let alone know how it feels to have one dug into your groin, is hysterical.

1 minute ago, David said:

He didn't look for a way out when Canelo was crushing him and looked like he could seriously hurt him, so I don't see him looking for a way out in a fight he was doing okay in after he survived an early onslaught.

I saw it the other way round. 

Khan was very competitive in the Canelo fight. In fact, I had him even with Canelo at the time of the stoppage. In contrast, Crawford won every round other than round 2. Khan did have his moments in other rounds, but was being beat up for the most part. 

The low-blow was legitimate though. Khan often has delusions of grandeur, but he's not the type to opt for the easy way out