Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

31 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Absolute barmy goings on in the heavyweight scene again. Luis Ortiz put out a statement yesterday that the reason he hadn't accepted an offer to fight AJ is because he'd recieved a lowball offer. Now its being reported (though not confirmed) that Ortiz was offered $5 million but was demanding $10 million (Ortiz' career high purse until this point is 500k vs. Wilder). What is going on?

He's probably trying to negotiate about $7 million or so. A dangerous game, but if he can squeeze an extra million or so out of Hearn he'll see it as being worth it.

• Paid Members

Khan does not have a broken knob 😄

Hearn is furious about the Ortiz lowball offer thing, he plans to expose Ortiz and his team next week once the official announcement has been made. Lots of people are wondering if its because of Ortiz knowing he'll fail another drugtest though. Apparently the final offer made to him was around $7 million.

Eastenders aint got shit on this.

Did anyone read Roy Jones Jnr's comments on Khan recently? A perfect example of the numbskull mentality held by boxers and boxing fans;

“Amir Khan quit,” the former super-middleweight and light-heavyweight champion told TMZ. “I love Amir.

“I love him for his heart, he did a lot of things as an amateur that I was really excited about.

“I think he’s a great fighter. But when you quit, nobody gets a pass, man. In boxing — that’s why people always complain about why I won’t quit boxing.

"Because in my heart when I go in the ring, carry me out. I don’t wanna go out on my feet if I lost. Carry me out.

“I wanna give it all or get it all taken away from me. I’m not happy to lose a fight standing on my two feet. I’m just not happy with that."

I've seen idiots with that mentality come into the BJJ gym, giving it the "I'm from a boxing background, we don't quit, we don't tap."

Thirty minutes later they're being slapped in the face in an attempt to revive them from passing out after a choke. That's right, you don't tap. Instead of tapping, resetting and continuing to compete you pass out, piss yourself and wake up with burst blood vessels in your eyes. Usually they stagger out after class never to be seen again.

Jones would rather get carried out of the ring on a stretcher than have the fight stopped by the ref, his corner or even himself? Yeah, that's smart. 

The very idea that Khan would get more respect if he'd ignored the low blow that had him pissing blood later in the day, and continued to fight until he got knocked out is backwards as hell. 

I'm against quitting if you have no real reason to do so, but if you're injured or incapacitated to such an extent that you don't believe you can win the fight? You toss it in and live to fight another day. 

Same with fighters who get to the later rounds and obviously have next to no chance of winning. They're behind on the cards big time, they don't have the power and precision any more to get a potential knock out. Pull them out of the fight, concede that you lost and live to fight another day.

But no, I guess it's better to go out like Adonis Stevenson on a stretcher than face the shame of "quitting" if Roy Jones is to be believed.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Yeh, that is some numbskull shit. Ive never liked Jones as a pundit either, he very much used to play a character on HBO Boxing but he used to come out with some ludicrous stuff.

...incredible fighter though.

• Paid Members

He was. Not anymore though. 

He went from the guy who did shit like this;

tenor.gif

To refusing to walk away when it was clearly over and ending up sounding like Sly in Rocky V and looking like this;

9-DDC009-D-06-CA-4-E7-C-8-D2-A-0-C82-C45

As great as Roy was in the 90s, he’s a cautionary tale now. The only advice he should be giving any boxer is to not do what he did and carry on years and years past his prime. The people who call you a ‘warrior’ for that shit won’t be there to help you out when the fame and money is gone and you can’t remember your kids names.

Seriously Roy Jones is a scary example of how unforgiving Boxing is. Look at him in his prime and he barely used to get hit. If someone asked you in 1994 to make a list of 10 boxers who’d be all punchy, slurry and slow in 15-20 years time Roy would’ve been the last name you’d think to even put near that list. James Toney would be right with him. They’re both not making that list in 1994. These days they can barely string a sentence together between them and when they do it’s wally talk like that quote David posted there. 

• Paid Members

that Enzo Macarinelli KO was bad, me and my mate were watching it on a dodgy stream on a tablet because there was another show in the TV at the same time, we both thought he was dead.

• Paid Members

Yeh, hopefully comes through and he matches them up. Kuggan hints there that they're gonna go with Dubois/Gorman in July with Joyce in a European title fight on the same card, like that. 

Richard Lartey is fighting Daniel Dubois tomorrow night though after initially being refused a visa. Tidy.

1 hour ago, Porkchopcash said:

Dubios may be fighting Saturday, then Joyce on the BJS undercard then them 2 fight each other on a bill which also features Gorman.

Unless one of them drops a bollock and loses before then. As much as I'd love to see them face each other, if one of them were to lose beforehand I'd probably laugh a little.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I thought Joyce vs Dubois was looking likely? What happened to that? 

nah, reading now that even though the board has called for it it doesn't necessarily have to happen. Joyce said at his press conference that he'd rather fight for the European title as well. The official press conference to announce it all is next week.