Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Frank stable lacks any sort of depth so I assuming them 3 heavys don't meet but keep getting spread across dates to fulfill the BT contract.

Anybody know the attendance last night? Only watched the main but after row 1 the whole thing looked completely blacked out.

So, AJ will be fighting Andy Ruiz Jnr on June 1st.

ebfe4d4c-b262-4484-9ead-16ee4e428774-ori

Cunt looks like Tyson Fury's lager and kebab loving wingman from a year or two ago. 

His last fight was at the Dignity Health Sports Park, a university campus in California, against Alexander Dimitrenko, who's claim to fame is being knocked out in 3 frames by Joseph Parker a while back, so he'll be well primed for the big time at MSG in front of millions of fans all over the world.

Ruiz Jnr is 32-1, with each of his 32 wins coming against absolutely no one of note aside from a decision win over Kevin Johnson last year. The same Kevin Johnson that AJ smashed to bits in 2 rounds four years ago.

Is this shite going to be on PPV in the UK? 

• Paid Members

yeh, i'd be very surprised if it isn't on PPV just because of the money AJ generates.

Ruiz has went 12 rounds and lost a close decision to Joseph Parker and is better than his physique suggests, this is a bit of a disaster for Matchroom though. If AJ goes in and blasts Ruiz out people will call it a con job, if AJ doesn't do a job on him the Americans are going to be wondering what all the fuss is about. This is a bit of a lose-lose situation. Matchroom would have been better off putting AJ in with a worse heavyweight than Ruiz that actually looked the part.

Christ, who'd have thought that after the way heavyweight boxing ended in 2018, the best fight we'd see in the first half of 2019 would be Deontay Wilder against Dominic Breazeale, eeeeesh.

Edited by Egg Shen

It's going to be on PPV. No way whoever Joshua ends up facing are Sky going to change their plans for his fight to be on that platform. Ruiz Jnr is alright, I can't see him posing much of a threat to Joshua but I didn't expect Miller to either. 

After Hearn talking about how it couldn't be a Brit they chose to replace Miller due to the fact the fight was taking place in the US, this is who they choose? Some dude who's last fight was at a University campus in California?

If I was Hearn I'd have just brought in Chisora. I'd have been on the phone to David Haye to organise some sort of situation where it would "kick off" between Joshua and Chisora, leading to an angle where Hearn promises to bring a slice of the thriving UK boxing scene to New York in a grudge match that never got the chance to happen previously.

Give it the whole "Miller fucked up, he lost his chance, and here's a real dude in Chisora who's stepping in to settle a beef and give the US fans a decent show," they could then pan the current US heavyweight scene, get in some digs at Wilder, all that jazz.

They could also paint it as AJ fighting the guy that Wilder refused to face, some shit like that. Sort out a presser, get some security in, Chisora goes mental and throws a table across the room, shouts about some London gangtsa shit and we're good to go.

Surely that would have been better than this lump they've brought in? At least Chisora looks like a boxer and can play the part.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Dunno what the University Campus in California thing about David? Ruiz fought on the undercard of a Danny Garcia show at the Stubhub Center, that's one of the most popular boxing venues in America.

I think the Michael Hunter option would have been better too if it was between Hunter & Ruiz though, undersized and lost the only meaningful fight he'd ever been in but at least he'd have looked the part and that would have kept the people tuning in casually quiet on the night. Still, Ruiz is the #12 ranked heavyweight in the world according to Boxrec, hes the highest ranked American heavyweight outside of Wilder and Breazeale. The main issue here is that aesthetically he looks like shite.

Edited by Egg Shen

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Dunno what the University Campus in California thing about David? Ruiz fought on the undercard of a Danny Garcia at the Stubhub Center, that's one of the most popular boxing venues in America.

He literally fought ten days ago against Alexander Dimitrenko with the following info provided;

The win came at the Dignity Health Sports Park - a university campus in California - which hosts LA Galaxy fixtures.

Ruiz's victory was next to the football pitch, on the tennis court arena, with the fight taking place in the daytime.

I have no idea what undercard it was, as I've never seen the guy.

The fight blows hard, and there's no way I'll stay up and watch it, even though I don't pay for it. I'll maybe download it the next day if it sounds worth watching. A good chance I'll just skip it altogether though.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

yeh the Dignity Health Sports Park is the Stub Hub Center. Ruiz' fight was on the Garcia undercard.

oh, and theres a chance yet that your boy Tyson Fury's fight with #37th ranked heavyweight Tom Schwarz may be on BT PPV yet, you gonna pay for that one ;)

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh the Dignity Health Sports Park is the Stub Hub Center. Ruiz' fight was on the Garcia undercard.

Well, if Garcia is boxing on a converted tennis court then I don't know what to tell you? 

11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

oh, and theres a chance yet that your boy Tyson Fury's fight with #37th ranked heavyweight Tom Schwarz may be on BT PPV yet, you gonna pay for that one ;)

Ebb, I've not paid for a PPV fight since Tyson fought Clifford Etienne over 15 years ago. Of course I won't pay for it, I'll watch it via other means.