Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Does anyone think the Khan/Brook fight still happens? its undeniably damaged but still sells over here. More than ever though i think neither man would want to lose to other which could be an issue. It could be sold as a proper redemption fight now if it happens though. Both guys recent years are pretty similar with what they have attempted and failed to achieve. It all weirdly makes sense.

Personally, while I don't think either guy is world title level anymore, we're hardly talking about two bums here, are we? 

Look at who both fighters have lost to in the past few years. Errol Spence Jnr, Golovkin, Terrence Crawford, and Canelo Alvarez. That's not a terrible list of losses, is it?

It's a fight that made sense before Khan was offered the Crawford fight, and it makes sense now. In fact, it'll be even better in the build-up because no doubt Brook will be giving it the "you quit!" schtick, while Khan will be doing the same to him. 

Plenty of needle, two fighters who are still only 32 and who've only really lost to the best.

In fact, the truth is that both of them are really only "domestic level" now because of the calibre of champions in their divisions. If this was five or six years ago it could have been very different. I've described Brook as a domestic level fighter for a while now, and that's mainly because his division at world level is too stacked for him to really compete with. Now Khan is at that same crossroads.

Get the fight made, and lets see a proper tear-up!

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, David said:

I've described Brook as a domestic level fighter for a while now, and that's mainly because his division at world level is too stacked for him to really compete with. Now Khan is at that same crossroads.

Get the fight made, and lets see a proper tear-up!

i hear what you are saying but Brook still competes and beats many of the top level Welterweights for me. Its only the elite couple at the top which are the exception and those couple are a rare breed. If that makes him domestic level you have pretty high standards.

Kell Brook vs. Johnny Garton for the Londsale Belt, lets see it.

I think Khan still competes with most of the top fighters in his division as well. He may not beat them, but he's competitive.

Maybe domestic level is the wrong way to describe it, but both fighters are pretty much shut out of the world title picture, so they can either look elsewhere or retire. A domestic fight against each other is the way to go, after that there's nowhere else for either to go really.

• Paid Members

i agree, i still think there's legs in it. Maybe not the stadium fight it might have been but they can sell it for what it is. 

Brook is saying he wants to pursue Crawford now though 😄 i still think either man can win a World Title if they take the right path, as long as they dont go after the belts Crawford and Spence holds they have a way in.

here's the video of that transcript i mentioned above too...

Lots today hinting at Andy Ruiz for AJ in June, including...

its not a terrible replacement, but for people who knows little about boxing, they'll shit all over this based off Ruiz' flabby physique alone.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

The WBSS have reached a deal with Matchroom and SKY to show the Taylor vs Baranchyk/Inoue vs Rodriguez bill in May. SKY are also airing the Donaire vs Tete/Prograis vs Relikh card that takes place this weekend.

Cracking news.

yeh thats cool, i thought the Taylor show might end up on Channel 5. Nice to see them getting some love though, cracking shows.

• Paid Members

You’ll notice this is slightly out of date (AJ vs Miller still listed) but look at this for an 8 week stretch. 

8386343D-3600-424E-9E6C-40F23BE03362.jpeg

Completely forgot Rungvisai’s fight was coming up. It’s on Sky Sports this Friday night! Get that in your planner. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

well, whilst the world scene seems to have gone to shite, the UK heavyweight has got something sorted. Looks like Joe Joyce/Daniel Dubois is going to happen in July, official announcement expected within 2 weeks.

• Paid Members

Absolute barmy goings on in the heavyweight scene again. Luis Ortiz put out a statement yesterday that the reason he hadn't accepted an offer to fight AJ is because he'd recieved a lowball offer. Now its being reported (though not confirmed) that Ortiz was offered $5 million but was demanding $10 million (Ortiz' career high purse until this point is 500k vs. Wilder). What is going on?😄 Ortiz is apparently 40 years old, he has few years left and hes leaving $5 million on the table when there's no guarantee he'll get another crack at the belt or anything like that kind of money. I cant quite wrap my head around it all.