Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

41 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

...as for them tennis courts you are taking the mick out of, they dont do bad for themselves...

https://www.ringtv.com/519528-breaking-10-greatest-fights-stubhub-center-history/

Wait, I thought they actually used the football stadium for boxing events, but it seems they use the 8,000 capacity tennis court area? I've read that GGG "sells out the stubhub center" as if it's a big deal, but in reality it means his fight drew less than half of what Aberdeen or Hibs get for a regular Scottish Premier League football match? 

Fuck me, the Yanks must look at us selling out 80,000 seats for boxing in Wembley Stadium, or the Klitschko's drawing 55,000 in Düsseldorf and be thoroughly amazed!

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Boxing attendance in America is generally a lot lower than what the big UK shows draw, unless there's a bonafide star fighting they just wont fill big arenas, let alone stadiums.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, David said:

Just heard that Jarrell Miller has been given a six month ban 😂

it appears that the WBA have banned him for 6 months and after that will allow him to fight in the non-title fights. The WBA is fucking weird.

Still astounded at how healthy and happy the big man is looking these days. From a fat, coked-up sad case who was wanting to kill himself to a happy, healthy chap on top of the world and financially set for life. Fantastic.

• Paid Members

yeh he's looking great, i was worried that post-Wilder he may have fallen off the wagon again but he's done the opposite. Props to him and the people around him.

• Paid Members

Fury said in December that he sort of did, but this time he absolutely refused to let his illness drown him again, so went back to the gym and worked his arse off.

It's always going to be lurking over his shoulder, sadly, but Fury seems to know how to control it now, which includes a regimented workout schedule.

As most of you who post here know, he's the one guy I can sort of forgive for simply taking the money in the heavyweight division, because he's essentially enjoying a career resurgence that never looked like it was on the cards. Even if he never fights for a world title again, he's still overcame the odds and managed what many figured was the impossible.

I'll be quite disappointed if we never get to see the Wilder vs Joshua fight at some point though, but I'm hopeful that can get worked out.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

If we never get to see another combination of Wilder/Joshua/Fury it'll be a bit of a travesty. The fact we have ended up what we have now is a bit of a joke, each guys stock is at an all time high, they need to be fighting each other. One of them will get chinned sooner or later. 

Oh, and confirmed, live on PPV:

😄 the backlash has been brutal.

No fucking wonder, it's not a PPV fight in a million years. 

Eventually the fans had to start kicking up fuck a bit, it seems that every half-decent fight is being slapped onto PPV these days, it's a bit of a joke.

• Paid Members

Im fairly sure theres abit more to it than just making it a PPV for the sake of it. There's a pressure to generate money from these events and whatever. For a thrown together fight taking place in the wee small hours it would have been nice to have had it for free, and considering its primarily a DAZN showcase.

Whyte/Rivas in July being on PPV is a bit of pisstake too. Once a fighter has broken through onto that PPV stage though and is demanding the kind of money Whyte is, i guess he has to be on PPV. 

32 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im fairly sure theres abit more to it than just making it a PPV for the sake of it.

Yeah, it's called being a greedy cunt and taking advantage while boxing is hot in the UK. They're all at it. As I've said before, the only way we stop getting every half-decent scrap put on PPV is if the fans stop buying them. Until that happens it'll stay the same.

Tbh i dont mind paying for boxing if i think the fights are worth it. £20 for 4-6 hours of boxing is reasonable if the card is of decent quality. Matchroom has had some decent PPV’s. If theres one more decent match added to the Whyte card il get it. Fuck the Joshua one though.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

it seems that every half-decent fight is being slapped onto PPV these days

And some that aren’t even half decent. Eubank vs DeGale being on PPV in 2019 was an absolute liberty.