Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Canelo’s weight cut didn’t look like a whole gang of fun. His eyes looked sunken in to the back of his head.

My guess is that that was the cause of the handbags. Jacobs is a big dude who must struggle to make 160 too.

• Paid Members

Good fight. It felt like it was going to turn into a bit of a Canelo masterclass, at times, but come the 8th Jacobs seemed to figure Canelo out / Canelo started to slow down. The 8th onwards was brilliant to watch.

Canelo on it is something else. I mean:

He was so elusive for most of the first half of that fight.

Some had it down as a draw, but I thought Canelo quite clearly won it.

A very close fight for me, and I scored it 116-114 for Canelo. I gave him 6 rounds, Jacobs 4 rounds, and scored 2 rounds even. If I was pushed to give the shared rounds to one of them ,it would probably be Canelo but I felt that Jacobs did enough in those rounds to even them out.

Man, Alvarez is something else, isn't he? There's a lot of great fighters who all have particular skills, but this guy is possibly the greatest all-round fighter I've ever seen. Work rate, a great chin, great footwork, ring generalship, power punches, he's got the lot.

That shot that Jacobs connected with in the 9th was immense, and Canelo didn't even blink. 

It's when you actively try to score one of his fights that you realise why he wins decisions. He does everything right in order to win those rounds. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Scored it a draw, I had Canelo leading until round 7 then Jacobs had a real good stretch of taking 4 rounds in a row. I had Jacobs winning going into the 12th but gave that to Canelo, it was super tight though.

It wasn't a classic in terms of action but it was high quality stuff. Canelo looked great until Jacobs rallied in the second half, i thought he might on his way to pitching a near shutout. Thought Jacobs just outfought him for 4 rounds though and landed the best punches of the fight in them rounds. Canelo's chin on another level.

GGG's heel turn continues:

Edited by Egg Shen

I had Canelo winning by 2-4 rounds. I had Jacobs winning the first round, but very few after that until the mid stages of the fight. A few rounds in the latter stages were difficult to score. Regardless, I was left feeling that Canelo had done enough to win. I think the judges' scorecards were very fair. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I had Canelo winning by 2-4 rounds. I had Jacobs winning the first round, but very few after that until the mid stages of the fight. A few rounds in the latter stages were difficult to score. Regardless, I was left feeling that Canelo had done enough to win. I think the judges' scorecards were very fair. 

yeh, 1, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10 i gave Jacobs.

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, 1, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10 i gave Jacobs.

I gave round 3 to Canelo. But aye, it was a close round. I saw a few others give it to Jacobs. I also gave round 8 to Canelo.

Rounds 11 and 12 were very tight. 

Triple threat between Jacobs/GGG/Alvarez  is clearly whats needed.

They all have quality in different areas but as David sorta said, when Canelo is on form he is a fucking monster, in all areas and thats why i can see why the judges go for him. (Plus ol fishnets bungs as well).

Where do they all go from here? If it happens, Canelo v Andrade is going to be a bit of a comedown. GGG V his next opponent is there for GGG to get back on track and look like a beast. But Jacobs? 

On a side note, Jacobs missed the 170lb rehydration clause and came in at 173lb, if you believe what you read that cost him between 300k and 500k per lb, thats alot of dough!

• Paid Members

$250k per lb i read it was? harsh.

Id like to see Canelo/Andrade just so Canelo can fully unify the division. Then go after a 3rd GGG fight. Sounds like Jacobs is moving up though, i could see Jacobs winning a title there and having a rematch with Canelo down the line when Canelo moves up to try claim another belt 

58 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Kovalev/Yarde looks like a done deal for the end of June in Russia.

Reading that immediately made me think of the scene in Rocky IV where Paulie is moaning like fuck and falls in the snow, except I imagined that it was Frank Warren instead. All wrapped up in a big coat and wearing ear muffs.