Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

1 minute ago, David said:

Given the type of person that makes up the majority of the British boxing public I'll leave it for you to decide why Khan is getting this kind of treatment, and why certain sections of the media and fanbase are relishing this moment. They've been waiting an absolute age for something like this to happen. Him doing what he usually does, bravely going out on wobbly legs with a weak chin doesn't quite cut it.

Is Khan Scottish?

Khan was a great fighter at one point, no doubt, but I can appreciate why some fans that aren't horrible racists would feel slightly annoyed at the way the fight ended - legitimate or not.

Oh, being annoyed at how the fight ended is absolutely natural. I was pissed off at how it ended, and I didn't even have to pay for it. But at no point did I consider venting my frustration at the poor sod who'd been smacked in the groin. That's just mental.

The American fans who paid for the PPV weren't paying money to see Khan, they were paying to see Crawford, and they saw their man drop his opponent and then fight convincingly for six rounds. Hardly as though they were robbed, is it? Unless they're that bloodthirsty that seeing all of that wasn't enough, and would only settle for seeing the incapacitated fighter get sparked out cold as well?

• Paid Members

You know combat sports, mate. A lot of people want Rocky stuff otherwise it's a waste of money. I didn't pay for the fight so all I was left with is a bit of indifference, but I understand being angry at such an odd finish if you did fork out some cash and even stayed up to watch it.

Again, whether or not he was hurt, Khan saying he's had enough was probably smart. He was getting battered before the finish and it was definitely going to get worse. Collect your millions and keep your balls safe for another day.

5 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

You know combat sports, mate. A lot of people want Rocky stuff otherwise it's a waste of money. I didn't pay for the fight so all I was left with is a bit of indifference, but I understand being angry at such an odd finish if you did fork out some cash and even stayed up to watch it.

Yeah, but those people complain regardless. I don't see why this particular fight is more valid than any other shitfest. In fact, at least it had six rounds of decent action. I've seen PPV fights that have been total cack from start to finish.

5 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Again, whether or not he was hurt, Khan saying he's had enough was probably smart. He was getting battered before the finish and it was definitely going to get worse. Collect your millions and keep your balls safe for another day.

Yeah, he was getting battered. It was always on the cards. My point is that if he hadn't been cracked in the groin he'd have done what he always does, which is fight to the point where the ref has to stop it because he's on jelly legs and can't defend himself.

I just don't buy into the idea that someone who's been as brave as he has over the years is going to suddenly look for a way out of a fight that he was undoubtedly losing, but he wasn't getting smashed to bits. That's not his style.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, but those people complain regardless. I don't see why this particular fight is more valid than any other shitfest. In fact, at least it had six rounds of decent action. I've seen PPV fights that have been total cack from start to finish

Well some disagree with you on that. I'm just trying to have some sympathy for those that went in with good intentions and were angry because it was underwhelming for them - their feelings heightened by the coverage post-fight. They paid good money to moan; an annoying finish, as you typed.

I do like Khan as a boxer, but sadly he's well past his prime. I think Atlas said it best that he's a better salesman than boxer, these days.

Edited by ColinBollocks

13 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Well some disagree with you on that. I'm just trying to have some sympathy for those that went in with good intentions and were angry because it was underwhelming for them - their feelings heightened by the coverage post-fight. They paid good money to moan.

You've been watching boxing and combat sports in general long enough to know how it goes. This isn't pro wrestling, shit happens. We've seen guys get injured during fights before, it's part of the risk people take when they buy a PPV. I have zero sympathy for them, they know what they're buying. 

Be disappointed by all means, but anyone who tries to hold responsible a fighter who can't continue due to injury is a moron. It's that simple.

13 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I do like Khan as a boxer, but sadly he's well past his prime. I think Atlas said it best that he's a better salesman than boxer, these days.

There's nothing sad about it. He's had a very successful career and made a whole ton of money, which will see him and future generations of his family set for life. He's offered these big paydays because the promoters and his opponents know that he's going to bring the fight to them, and that he's easy to clip and drop. Aside from him being cracked in the balls, can you ever recall a boring Khan fight? He's good for business, always comes prepared to fight, has a good fanbase, is exciting and is usually happy to fight anyone as long as the price is right.

Let's be honest, when he was offered the Crawford fight, was he ever going to turn down that opportunity? Of course not. he was nowhere near being a favourite, but that's the kind of fight you'd regret not taking when you've eventually hung up the gloves for good. It never went as he wanted, but there's still the Brook fight if he wants it. 

And if he does want it? It'll be an exciting fight, like most of his other bouts over the years. There'll be knockdowns, there'll be jelly legs, there'll be exciting action. 

And if he decides to hang them up, he can, for the most part, look back on his career with no regrets. He fought the best fights available to him, he gave most of them his best shot, and should be proud of what he accomplished.

Edited by David

7 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I wasn't attacking Khan with my 2nd paragraph. He's smart enough to know how to cash in on his remaining few years in the sport, but he's slipped past his prime, which is a shame.

It happens to everyone, sadly. I think he'll take the Brook fight possibly, then call it a day.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, David said:

Let's be honest, when he was offered the Crawford fight, was he ever going to turn down that opportunity? Of course not. he was nowhere near being a favourite, but that's the kind of fight you'd regret not taking when you've eventually hung up the gloves for good. It never went as he wanted, but there's still the Brook fight if he wants it.

Im sure he has regrets now though, in terms of how he could have come out of Saturday night reputation wise, it couldnt have gone much worse. Its a shame because Khan once again showed huge suds by getting through that 1st round. He was losing badly but Khan was having more success as it went on too, he was still losing but it isnt like he went into his shell, thats all forgotten because of the finish though. 

As for that finish, who knows? both Khan and Hunter both pointed the finger for each other for it ending. I think Khan saw it as a way out but was waiting on Hunter to make the call. Khan failing to respond to the referee's questions and looking to his corner leads me to believe that. Little has been made of Khan arm injury too, he clearly said after the 3rd or 4th round that his hand (might have been arm) was hurt and Hunter told him to ignore it. Khan played it down post-fight saying the adrenaline got him through but Hunter was well aware that Khan was injured before the nut shot so he may have saw it an out and maybe get the fight ruled a no-contest or potentially even a DQ?

I listened to the 5Live post fight podcast and on that Costello asked Khan what the ref had said to him in the ring, Khan said something along the lines of "ref said, im gonna stop it", Khan responded "no dont stop it", to which the ref replied "ok, you have 5 minutes", then no more than 30 seconds later Costello asked "why didnt you take the 5 minutes?" and Khan answered "i didnt know i had 5 minutes, if id known i would have taken them" he does say he wasn't thinking straight though so he may have been confused but i didnt see any clear instruction from anyone in that ring though like you do in an MMA fight that Khan was being told to take the time, it just look like they pulled him out as quick as they could, you can't blame people for questioning it 

One thing I will say is that unless you've actually been cracked in the nuts with a decent level of force it's impossible to understand how your body reacts. I've been caught full-on with a knee as someone tried to pass my guard a few years back, and it was honestly the worst pain I've ever known. In the past I've dislocated my shoulder, two fingers, cracked my sternum from taking a knee to the chest, and tore two muscles in my back.

The groin shot had me in a level of pain where I literally couldn't stand or breathe, then I threw up when I managed to get back to the changing rooms.

So yeah, lesson to be learned here is that if you're ever in trouble in a pub or on the street, aim for the nuts. It'll take down any fella.

• Paid Members

I have no doubt he took hard shot to the nuts, the whole leg argument doesn't really wash because those protector things boxers where cover a large area so even if that thing is clipped it driving into the nuts. The problem is how they dealt with it, ive gone back and watched it and Khan does signal to Hunter that he wants to call it (which is something Khan denied post fight), he does so roughly 30-35 seconds after the punch lands. You can't knock anyone for calling him out on it really.

11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

You can't knock anyone for calling him out on it really.

No, you can knock those who "call him out" on it. 

You can't knock those who were disappointed in how the fight finished, or who would have loved to see a definitive finish, but to "call out" someone on an injury that's not only incapacitating, but can also be pretty dangerous is fucking moronic.

Frustration I can understand, especially from the crowd in attendance at the time. But anyone who still questions Khan, or who calls him a quitter despite him pissing blood after the fight and obviously being in a lot of pain obviously aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, are they? They're probably the type who attend local boxing shows and believe they could step up after a few Stella's. 

Edited by David

Stuck record time. 

Its sport, not entertainment. You have no right to feel aggrieved at the way the fight ended. When you pay for a sporting contest you  know it could end many ways. 

There are a lot of people annoyed because they wanted it to end with Khan staring at the lights and didn’t get that. 

• Paid Members

yeh, theres that crowd, but there's also the crowd that would have preferred Khan to have been pulled out by his corner between rounds rather than using a low blow as a way out, then claim he was coming back in the fight.

I dont really fall into either camp but i was disappointed with what happened and a with a few of the inconsistencies ive heard on what went down post-fight.

Does anyone think the Khan/Brook fight still happens? its undeniably damaged but still sells over here. More than ever though i think neither man would want to lose to other which could be an issue. It could be sold as a proper redemption fight now if it happens though. Both guys recent years are pretty similar with what they have attempted and failed to achieve. It all weirdly makes sense.

It’s basically down to Khan isn’t it. He did shake Brooks hand and tell him theyd definately get it on, then went and fought Crawford. But as Amir is a man of his word i imagine it’ll happen. Personally i’d rather see Brook v Liam Smith or Brook have a crack at Crawford. I’d like to see Khan hang up the gloves as he is a shot fighter and risks doing himself damage by continuing to fight.