Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yep, that was a shitfest. Chisora's career tends to run like that, he's either in an exciting brawl, or he finds himself in one of the worst heavyweights to ever take place. 

Dave Allen though... he didn't look great but that body shot in the 3rd was an absolute peach. His post-fight interview was just as good, gotta love the bloke.

I know Chisora has his ups and downs but all the blame cant be on Gashi. Chisora looked old and slow and should have been able to cut the ring down better than he did. Chisora was nearly 19 stone.

Chuffed for Dave Allan, him and Price should be interesting. Strange as it may sound i could see Price beating him on points though. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Was this Khan fight live anywhere? A bit odd that the first I heard of this fight was on Friday night, Khan used to be everywhere.

Think it was on BT Sport. 

• Paid Members

@bAzTNM#1 it was on BT Sport Box Office. It didn’t really seem that heavily promoted over here. Unless you’re already following the Boxing media anyway, I can see why you’d have missed it. I don’t know why that was. Maybe because it was seen as a bit of a mismatch. Or maybe because Khan was still technically a Matchroom fighter (I think) but was fighting on BT this time. Fuck knows. 

Fight itself was a bit flat, mostly because of how it ended with the low blow. Crawford was winning comfy regardless. Just a shame it ended that way. 

Chuffed for Dave Allen. I love the bloke but I always have a bad feeling when he fights. That body shot was nasty though. Him and Price will be alright but it’ll be bittersweet either way because they’re two of the nicest blokes in the sport and I don’t want to see either of them lose. That fight is going to see either Allen’s little run get derailed or Price’s career pretty much over. Actually, when you put it like that, I want Allen to win. As much as I like Price, his career ending might be the best thing for him. Probably should’ve stopped before Povetkin ironed him out and definitely should’ve after. 

Chisora vs Gashi was a load of bollocks. I agree you can’t blame it all on Gashi. It takes two to tango to make a shite fight just like it takes two to tango to make a great fight. They both looked awful here. Considering the shape Delboy got himself in for the Whyte rematch in December, then seeing him looking all soft and unmotivated here, he just didn’t look like he could be arsed. Like Egg says, it’s Chisora all over too. He’s been fun to watch over the last year or two so we were due a dud from him. 

• Paid Members

Not the best night for boxing - in keeping with how the year is unfolding for the sport, really.

I made the mistake of sitting in watching the Chisora fight rather than going to see The Sisters Brother. I wasn't expecting a classic, like, but never did I expect to see something resembling Tyson Fury's first comeback match. Thankfully Allen showed something; what a shot and great post-fight interview.

Crawford v Khan summed up beautifully by the one and only:

Glass chin, glass bollocks. And it didn't even hit him in the nuts, it was on the thigh/hip area. He was pushing Crawford's head down too so he couldn't land any higher.

If there was any iota of being in his body that wanted him to continue, he would have took the full 5 minutes recovery time. He lost every round and was getting pummelled, he wanted out.

I hope he now gets the David Haye toe lambasting from the media. I can't believe they paid him $5m for the fight too.

Did make me laugh when they did the mid-fight interview with Crawford's trainer and asked him "How are you going to cope with Khan's handspeed" ---- "His hand speed ain't shit!" And he was right, Khan doesn't have the speed like he used to.

Take the Brook and then give it up.

• Paid Members

Thought Danny Garcia looked good. He was his usual aggressive self, knocked Granados down early and just never let up after that. First man to stop Granados as well. They asked Crawford in his post-fight press conference about fighting Garcia but Crawford understandably wants the Spence fight. That’s the one. 

What did everyone make of Josh Kelly’s performance on the Matchroom/Sky show? I’ve seen a load of backlash and hating on him but I’ve got to say I liked it mostly. Sure it wasn’t a blowaway performance but considering the lay-off and injuring his hand mid-fight I thought he looked good and getting that ring time in against a durable, undefeated opponent can’t do any harm. You do wonder how his style is going to carry as his opposition gets tougher but there were things I really liked about his fight last night. Seeing the criticism didn’t really shock me because fighters with that kind of showboat style will always have their fans and their detractors. Roy Jones, Naz, Eubank Sr and even Calzaghe to an extent got some shit for it in their day. But he’s entertaining and he’s clearly got skills. Boxing fans, particularly in the UK, seem so quick to want to hate our own prospects sometimes. Some of the criticism I’ve read today from the YouTube Freddie Roaches is laughable. Already writing him off. He’s 9-0. People seem to expect these fighters to be the perfect finished product within a handful of fights and can’t wait to declare they’ll never amount to much if they don’t look like Lomachenko before their 10th fight. Overly critical Jim Watt shite. 

IFL interview with Kelly after the fight;

Seems a good lad to me. Certainly not the “cocky prick” loads of people are saying they wished got KO’d last night. I can see why his style isn’t for everyone and he probably will have to reign aspects of it in but fuck me. And the sad thing is if he was yank the British fans would probably like him more. 

• Paid Members

i like Kelly but i would have liked to have seen him knuckle down and just take care of business last night. Incredibly talented but i thought he made harder work of it than he needed too despite winning comfortably. Id like to see the Polish guy be fought in with Connor Benn next.

Joe Cordina looked real good in the fight before.

• Paid Members

Yeah I get that but it’s easier said than done when you’ve injured your hand and have to adapt mid fight. It’s all experience gained in the end but I think the criticism has been a tad harsh. Like you say, he won comfortably. And that’s despite the inactivity before this fight and the hand injury during it, plus Runowski being pretty tough and unbeaten himself. It was the kind of test boxing fans say they want to see a prospect face when they’re on the rise, yet when it happens they say he should’ve blasted the guy out. Then when he blasts an opponent away they’ll moan that he’s fighting bums. Can’t win sometimes. 

• Paid Members

You can't, i think you always leave yourself open for criticism when you fight with a cocky style and don't close the show though, it just comes with the territory. Shame about the hand injury though.

Allen's post-fight interview around 21:00, worth a watch.

Edited by Egg Shen

Got to love the general comments on social media from mostly out of shape middle aged men talking about how Khan should have "showed some heart" and continued fighting, and how it wasn't even a real nut shot, how it just grazed the cup and so on. So many fucking experts, despite the fact that the closest they've ever come to a boxing ring is when they've driven past the local boxing gym on their way to Tesco.

Anyone who's watched Khan fight knows that the only thing you can really be critical of him for is his insane determination to put himself in the kind of fights that most boxers would shirk away from.

He's been dropped numerous times, yet keeps getting back up, he's fought the likes of Canelo, which was never going to end well, and he took the Crawford fight instead of the easier option of the Brook fight. If anything he has too much fucking heart.

When I saw that shot and his reaction my first thought was "fuck me, that must have hurt really bad to take someone like him out of a fight. He's a guy who doesn't know when to quit usually."

As for the comment above from @Rossman encouraging the media to give him shit? Pipe the fuck down. Khan isn't just an exemplary athlete and role model for young boxers in this country, he's also got a terrific history with charity work.

He's an Olympic silver medalist, a junior Olympic gold medalist, and a unified world champion, all despite not having the most granite of chins. He's also managed to accomplish what he has in the face of a lot of shit from the knuckledragging element of British boxing fan base.

If the guy quit tomorrow he could retire with his head held high.

Edited by David